Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

newport2 wrote: »
    This.

The more outdoor low-risk activities are restricted, the more indoor higher-risk events will happen. NPHET have confirmed themselves that people meeting indoors is where the cases are coming from. Make it easy for people to spend time outdoors on healthy activities.

I'm expecting golf to open, but suspect they will only increase 5k to 10k, making it unavailable to a lot of people. I hope I'm wrong about this.

I can see them doing that too, but again, most will ignore that and play anyway, and rightly so :)

Not because I agree with breaking restrictions but because I can't support nonsensical restrictions that lack evidence or reasonable logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭blackbox

Has there been any talk of wearing masks whilst playing?

I'd be happy to if it meant getting out next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

blackbox wrote: »
    Has there been any talk of wearing masks whilst playing?

I'd be happy to if it meant getting out next month.

Masks are for when you can’t socially distance. If lads can’t keep 2m apart playing golf they should be barred. I know myself and my partners are always very distant. I’m usually right rough he’s usually left rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ForeRight wrote: »
    Masks are for when you can’t socially distance. If lads can’t keep 2m apart playing golf they should be barred. I know myself and my partners are always very distant. I’m usually right rough he’s usually left rough.

We all wear huge sombreros, can't get within 2m of each other.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It’s not closed because it’s unsafe. It’s currently closed as if was allowed there is a domino effect behind it of industry after industry arguing their cause as they deem themselves safe also. It’s hard to draw a line in the sand as to what’s ok and what’s not without a can of worms being opened so I was always able to understand the logic of restrictions.

And this is what has probably pissed me off more then any other argument in this entire saga. "Optics" and "If golf is allowed, x needs to be allowed". Why should anything else automatically allowed because something else is. If you can show, with evidence, that an activity is not anymore of a risk then walking in the park, it should be allowed.

Outdoor, non-contact activities are as low risk as can be. Yet they give people a chance to actually enjoy themselves, and allowed a lot of clubs a chance to dig themselves out of the financial hole they are in.
    We may need to remove water from any course though...guaranteed we all go in there :P

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    And this is what has probably pissed me off more then any other argument in this entire saga. "Optics" and "If golf is allowed, x needs to be allowed". Why should anything else automatically allowed because something else is. If you can show, with evidence, that an activity is not anymore of a risk then walking in the park, it should be allowed.

Outdoor, non-contact activities are as low risk as can be. Yet they give people a chance to actually enjoy themselves, and allowed a lot of clubs a chance to dig themselves out of the financial hole they are in.

We may need to remove water from any course though...guaranteed we all go in there :P

The only reason that it's hard to draw a line is that "elite" GAA is being bundled into it imo.

Outdoor non contact sport such as golf and tennis... Bar the serial complainers, the general population can see sense in this.

Underage sport for kids with safe methods... Again people can see the importance of this for children and can recognise that if they're back at school, that this is something where the benefit/importance is clear.

It's the bundling of "elite" GAA that makes the line hard to draw. They're not professionals, they can't bubble, it's a heavy contact sport... While the sell is that it's entertainment for the masses, that itself is a problem, especially when wet pubs and hotels were helping accomodate the entertainment.

The first 2 make sense to most people, the third is a political decision.

PARlance wrote: »
    We all wear huge sombreros, can't get within 2m of each other.

It’s mad how socially distant lads get when it’s their round at the bar

You have to remember to forget the phone and wallet these days!!!

Golf unlikely for next Monday. More likely later in the month in an easing of restrictions if leaks are to be believed this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Yeah, hearing the word 'phased' an awful lot. Obviously the idea is to the schools fully open first. No golf til the 12th of April the way it's going, if not later.
    Desperately hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭blue note

12th April would be great. I'd love to have a solid date in the diary.

blue note wrote: »
    12th April would be great. I'd love to have a solid date in the diary.

Ditto. I’d be happy with 12th or 19th once I know.
    Obviously I’d prefer next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭blue note

In the last few weeks I've missed things that bit more. I've watched a good few films and have just been imagining what they'd be like in the cinema while watching them. The big screen, cinema sound, the whole experience.

Same for a pint. There's some banter on WhatsApp and you just think back to a time when that was in a pub. It was a million times better than WhatsApp. I went with the wife, but sure that doesn't count. Other than that I had a night in July and that was it since my wedding in Feb 2020. The night in July was fantastic. By God we appreciated it. You really miss it now.

Same for seeing family. We had a little girl a month ago and my family have only seen her on zoom. My wifes family through a window and more recently on a walk.

And I'm not going to say next to these things the golf seems trivial. It doesn't at all. I'd absolutely love a game with a couple of friends. And the good weather we've had recently really emphasises it.

blue note wrote: »
    Same for seeing family. We had a little girl a month ago and my family have only seen her on zoom. My wifes family through a window and more recently on a walk.

This one must be especially tough. We've our first due in September, and I really hope things are mostly back to normal by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Already see the flight of my first drive, a little baby draw off the mound on the right hand side, one firm hop to leave me with a 8 iron into a back right flag........

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Round dodgers, infuriating, almost as bad as slow play ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Stacksey wrote: »

An absolute disgrace. I'd actually remove all restrictions now if I could just to spite nphet. I've no respect for any of them anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

These 6 more week of lockdown stories irritate me. Of course there is gona be weeks more of 'lockdown' the country isnt gona just open back up tomorrow.

But the hope is that things will gradually open back up on a phased basis and hopefully golf will be part of the earlier phases rather than later phases.

Unless they mean there is no lifting of anything and we heading for 6 more weeks of total lockdown? Either way they get to claim they are right

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

As expected talk about allowing outdoor sports start was just that TALK.

If the mirror story pans out I cant play or practice on the golf course but I can drop my son who is a junior member over to partake in his sport.

That's some ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

I wouldn’t be putting too much store in that Mirror article. From what I see nobody knows at this point. It’s just guessing.

That mirror report pretty much says what a few of us in here thought earlier. Kids sports next week and golf maybe waiting until the week or two after that.

There’s literally nothing in it that’s new from earlier today.
    Everyone needs to calm down.

2nd half of April for golf and that’s only a maybe according to reliable journos this morning.

15th is the date being touted at the moment. I'd figured it would be the 12th, so that's not too bad if true.

Should be open already, but whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Yet more unscientific rubbish from our new overlords in nphet. Golf Ireland must have done very little lobbying to sport Ireland if this is the only sort of crap they can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Yet more unscientific rubbish from our new overlords in nphet. Golf Ireland must have done very little lobbying to sport Ireland if this is the only sort of crap they can come up with.

Yeah this disingenuous bollocks of waiting another few weeks is so infuriating. It's not like we haven't waited 3 months already.

What a bunch of weak cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

What boiled my blood was watching Claire Byrne
    With her little props last night

Mehole afraid of his life to make a decision

So so depressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Best day of the year weather wise, if they announce 6 more weeks of lockdown and courses closed its going to be pure depression.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement