Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

As much as I love my golf club, and understand the importance of maintenance and paying greens staff, I'm seriously debating the merits of paying over 1000 euro this time around when we've basically lost four months by the time we get back out there

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭bamayang

As much as I love my golf club, and understand the importance of maintenance and paying greens staff, I'm seriously debating the merits of paying over 1000 euro this time around when we've basically lost four months by the time we get back out there

How many rounds would you have played in the last 3 months? Hardly next nor near the same amount you would play in next 3 months if all open.

bamayang wrote: »
    How many rounds would you have played in the last 3 months? Hardly next nor near the same amount you would play in next 3 months if all open.

Will I work shift normally, so I'd be hoping to average around twice a week. I know what your saying, but it's kinda not the point. Annual subs at our club are for a years membership, thats access to the course and facilities all year round subject to weather and essential maintenance. IMO it's a lot of money, hard earned, and for the second year in a row we won't be getting full value for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I for one believe that it is my club and I will support it in whatever way I can. It's not the club's fault this is continuing so I don't intend to punish it. I'm expecting the course to be in top condition mind.

If it's another few weeks it's not ideal but no problem. We do need to go straight to competitions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

I for one believe that it is my club and I will support it in whatever way I can. It's not the club's fault this is continuing so I don't intend to punish it. I'm expecting the course to be in top condition mind.

If it's another few weeks it's not ideal but no problem. We do need to go straight to competitions though.

Yeah if another few weeks means a good long run of golf without another lockdown and not confined to 2 balls then so be it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 bla.bla.b

Yet more unscientific rubbish from our new overlords in nphet. Golf Ireland must have done very little lobbying to sport Ireland if this is the only sort of crap they can come up with.

Ah come off it, what could golf ireland have done to achieve a better outcome here?

Yes its infuriating, but its likely no restrictions are going to be lifted on April 5th, not constriction/not travel/not kids sport. And you think Golf Ireland could have done more to get golf restrictions relaxed on April 5th?

bla.bla.b wrote: »
    Ah come off it, what could golf ireland have done to achieve a better outcome here?

Yes its infuriating, but its likely no restrictions are going to be lifted on April 5th, not constriction/not travel/not kids sport. And you think Golf Ireland could have done more to get golf restrictions relaxed on April 5th?

Why not?? Its a no brainer that golf is safe. They are supposed to represent us, are they not?? I'd expect nothing less.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bla.bla.b

Why not?? Its a no brainer that golf is safe. They are supposed to represent us, are they not?? I'd expect nothing less.....

I agree on the representation piece but when there is likely no relaxing of any other restrictions then what hope had golf?

I 100% think Golf should be back, but I also believe Golf Ireland have very little say in matter bar highlighting to Sport Ireland/Govt that they can operate safely.

Even when restrictions are relaxed I don't think the Govt are going to be specific in the sports that are allowed to be played. That would likely be a nightmare for them to manage and they will be lobbied left, right and centre. I suspect it will come under some sort of guidance "outdoor sports in pods of 2 (maybe 4) are allowed where social distancing can be adhered to at all times".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

They have been active. The issue is that NPHET and the likes keep pointing to is people travelling various distances to play golf and the various petrol stations they could stop at or the car pooling for the increasing amount of people that don’t have cars in the likes of Dublin.

While I’m going to be extremely disappointed golf won’t open on April 5th, if it’s not expected to open sometime in April I think I’ll have a fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Russman

Everyone knows golf is safe, and I'm dying for a game as much as the next golfer, I agree that's the frustrating part. I know some in here have mentioned they hate "optics" etc etc, but if you put yourself in the governments shoes, its something they have to consider. They're trying to keep the population on board for another few weeks and it would alienate quite a few people if golf was allowed back before, say, essential click and collect or kids training. Part of it makes no sense, but if I stop looking at it from a golfer's perspective, I can see the "why" behind it, without necessarily agreeing with it.

That's before we consider that, with the age profile of most clubs, half the members are probably vaccinated already anyway !!
    Members' Bar for the vaccinated and lounge for the non-vaccinated, anyone ?:D:D (joking obviously !)

• Advertisement

Irish golf noticeboard Facebook page saying we are officially in the longest lockdown for golf in the world. No justification whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Just read an article in the indo where it is claim NPHET don't want any sporting activity until May.

Nphet has recommended against allowing any sporting activity until May.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/people-to-be-allowed-to-travel-within-their-county-under-plans-to-be-discussed-by-cabinet-today-40254926.html

NPHET really are the most conservative ultra cautious body ever assembled. If they were in charge the Wight brothers wont have been allowed build their airplane.

As opinionated3 states we currently have the longest closure of golf courses in the world. We must have a very different virus than they have in Scotland, who only closed courses for just over 60 days.

Will I work shift normally, so I'd be hoping to average around twice a week. I know what your saying, but it's kinda not the point. Annual subs at our club are for a years membership, thats access to the course and facilities all year round subject to weather and essential maintenance. IMO it's a lot of money, hard earned, and for the second year in a row we won't be getting full value for it.

Who owns your club? Is it member owned. If so who will pay loans, machinery, sand, maintenance, wages, insurance etc if you expect to pay nothing while course closed due to covid.

RGS wrote: »
    Just read an article in the indo where it is claim NPHET don't want any sporting activity until May.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/people-to-be-allowed-to-travel-within-their-county-under-plans-to-be-discussed-by-cabinet-today-40254926.html

NPHET really are the most conservative ultra cautious body ever assembled. If they were in charge the Wight brothers wont have been allowed build their airplane.

As opinionated3 states we currently have the longest closure of golf courses in the world. We must have a very different virus than they have in Scotland, who only closed courses for just over 60 days.

"If they were in charge". The pathetic thing is, they actually ARE in charge now. And society is going to be paying the cost of this for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

NPHET are only a makey up organisation and they can only advise, it's upto the government to make the decisions, yeah they have been terrible so far but even they should see the benefits of promoting outdoor non contact activities. Big 12 hours ahead.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Get those clubs back in the shed. No golf next week anyway.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1376786018028912641

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

RGS wrote: »

How out of touch are NPHET at this stage?. On my way home from work (essential worker) I pass by football fields and an astroturf facilitiy. They are full of teenagers so the public have decided enough is enough despite NPHET recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Wombatman wrote: »
    Get those clubs back in the shed. No golf next week anyway.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1376786018028912641

"Oh my god we can't have kids going to back to school and others playing golf or tennis at the same time or there will be armageddon"

That is just more conservative bullsh1t again from this crowd of inept bluffers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭blue note

Kiith wrote: »
    This one must be especially tough. We've our first due in September, and I really hope things are mostly back to normal by then.

You just accept it because that's the way it is. And both our sets of parents would be in vulnerable categories, so it's not like healthy golfers not being able to play golf for example. They're the ones that need to be protected, so it's easier to accept them not seeing her. Whereas with golf most of us here are healthy and not afraid for our own wellbeing. Which makes not being able to pay more frustrating.

There is a positive side though which you might as well enjoy. I can't imagine how many visitors new parents ordinarily have. Don't get me wrong, you're only dying to show off your new born, but I'd say you must be having a few every day. It would be exhausting.

And the one complaint I feel for - people are so good for dropping over food to help you. We got 14 frozen dinners delivered, two two person dinners from avoca and two from donnybrook fair, 3 homemade lasagnas (20 portions), 3 homemade tarts, chocolate brownies, donuts, rice krispie buns, carrot cake. And I'm sure I'm forgetting more. But we didn't have room in the freezer for everything so we're fighting to keep ahead of the expiry dates so we don't throw anything out. I had to bin a couple of things we had in the freezer, but maybe they needed to go anyway. People are so good to give us these things, but I wouldn't mind picking what I want for dinner some day as opposed to trying to clear out the freezer! And I can't handle all the sweet things. I get cravings for trash and I don't fight them too hard. But now I'm eating this trash to avoid throwing it out, I don't even want it.

Rant over. Hope your missus is keeping well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Yet more unscientific rubbish from our new overlords in nphet. Golf Ireland must have done very little lobbying to sport Ireland if this is the only sort of crap they can come up with.

The science is correct - if everyone stayed at home and didn't mix then the virus cannot transmit.

In reality that is not practical, so basically at a high level it's the risk of spreading vs how much movement/contact you can allow the population to have i.e. what is essential movement/contact. It's also the cumulative risk of everything a person does, not just each activity in isolation.

NPHET advise, it's the elected governments responsibility assess the risk, create policy based on their advise and other input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

The science is correct - if everyone stayed at home and didn't mix then the virus cannot transmit.

In reality that is not practical, so basically at a high level it's the risk of spreading vs how much movement/contact you can allow the population to have i.e. what is essential movement/contact. It's also the cumulative risk of everything a person does, not just each activity in isolation.

NPHET advise, it's the elected governments responsibility assess the risk, create policy based on their advise and other input.

Big if.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Big if.

How is it a big if? The virus cannot transmit from a host if that host is not in contact with other people. That is the basic science.

As I say that is not practical or even feasible for everyone in the world to lock themselves up and avoid any contact. Hence why the science can't be questioned but the overall risk assessment (by our elected government) deriving our pandemic policies. NPHET only advise on their remit (they don't advise on economic impacts) which I would assume is only part of an overall risk assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭newport2

NPHET are in a no-win position. If they approve easing and cases surge, they'll be to blame. If they don't approve, everyone is fed up and they get the blame. So they pretty much go on worst possible scenario all the time.

The government should take the practicality of things into consideration. People are already meeting outdoors and that is going to increase with good weather and with people being fed-up if there is no relaxing of restrictions. Probably the lowest risk option that they can realistically achieve is keeping people's interaction restricted to outdoors. They should aim for that instead of the theoretical ideal of virtually nobody interacting anywhere (I'm exaggerating, I know) which is not possible. If they continue too much longer with outdoor restrictions I think they will lose a lot more compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

newport2 wrote: »
    NPHET are in a no-win position. If they approve easing and cases surge, they'll be to blame. If they don't approve, everyone is fed up and they get the blame. So they pretty much go on worst possible scenario all the time.

The government should take the practicality of things into consideration. People are already meeting outdoors and that is going to increase with good weather and with people being fed-up if there is no relaxing of restrictions. Probably the lowest risk option that they can realistically achieve is keeping people's interaction restricted to outdoors. They should aim for that instead of the theoretical ideal of virtually nobody interacting anywhere (I'm exaggerating, I know) which is not possible. If they continue too much longer with outdoor restrictions I think they will lose a lot more compliance.

100% agree but that kind of thinking is far too logical for the government to adopt

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

100% agree but that kind of thinking is far too logical for the government to adopt

Yet every other European country have managed to adopt a logical and practical approach.

Our Government are the weakest bunch of frogs I've ever seen. Terrified to govern, which ironically is what they're paid 6 figure salaries to do.

I cannot believe that the citizens of this country are happy to be bent over for this long, you'd think their backs would start to get sore sometime after the 7th month of continuous lockdown but no, still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

newport2 wrote: »

How they can't see or understand this is beyond my comprehension. Where are the advisors, I know they like to hire family members but surely there are some who understand human psychology and human nature.

Transmission outdoors is so many multiples less than indoors. They should be encouraging people meeting outdoors. If they were to really emphasise the importance of not meeting indoors but give you the option to meet outdoors instead, so many more people could get behind that. By not doing this, people are going to meet indoors in secret, the worst outcome for transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

How is it a big if? The virus cannot transmit from a host if that host is not in contact with other people. That is the basic science.

As I say that is not practical or even feasible for everyone in the world to lock themselves up and avoid any contact. Hence why the science can't be questioned but the overall risk assessment (by our elected government) deriving our pandemic policies. NPHET only advise on their remit (they don't advise on economic impacts) which I would assume is only part of an overall risk assessment.

Apologies it was a tongue in cheek reply. Zero covid is not possible and people,granted not all, will disregard nphets advice. As others have said we need a new approach as other countries have done since we just seem to be a dog chasing it's tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Anyone know of any memberless/pay & play courses in NI that might be open? I'll be going up to use a driving range once a week from this weekend anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

We haven't had any news up here on driving ranges. Course play only AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

26th of April for golf is the word now

Advertisement