Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

I want play golf as much as anyone but plenty other sports not even getting a look in.

When you consider rumours of mid may to even end of June I would take April 26th now.

I can't see SF being the guys to bail out golf in this country

Golf is easy to socially distance hence other sports which are contact based are not getting talked about at this junction.

Opening the likes of the Zoo and other attractions is a good idea but 2 weeks before golf or tennis is hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

RGS wrote: »
    My wife is a nurse and is strongly of the view golf should be open.

As previously stated golf in Ireland has the longest lockdown 189 days compared to 167 in NI( upto 5/4/21) which is now going out by another 3 weeks so golf will be closed 210 days in the last 12 months compared to 167 in NI and just over 60 in Scotland.

The excuses used to continue to keep outdoor activities closed are just NPHET trying to micro manage every aspect of peoples lives. Don't open things up just in case a few lads stop off for coffee.
    People are stopping off for coffee and petrol, including golfers, every day of the week, but put a set of clubs in the car and it becomes an issue.

In fairness she does have a vested interst in lobbying for it to be open ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

PARlance wrote: »
    And 100% of elite GAA players aren't professional, and can't bubble like the professional athletes they're being bundled in with. It's a political decision due to the political clout that the GAA carries.

What professional athletes in Ireland are in a bubble and have no contact with people outside the bubble?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

It's clearer again that the closure of golf is simply for optics and not worry about movement of people within the county with intercounty travel being the first of the restrictions to be lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

What professional athletes in Ireland are in a bubble and have no contact with people outside the bubble?

The provincial rugby squads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭blue note

Slimity wrote: »
    So GAA training is considered safer than tennis and golf?

Right yea, you've lost me now lads.

Really? Gaa back but golf not? That's surprising. I'll be glad to get back training though.

But how are they allowing back 300 or so teams in Dublin and no golf clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PeasantHater

If someone just nuked the country now, I’d welcome it, the place is an absolute joke.

Any golfers up for meeting on Fitzwilliam Sq on Sat and sending a few drives at Leinster house?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

If someone just nuked the country now, I’d welcome it, the place is an absolute joke.

Any golfers up for meeting on Fitzwilliam Sq on Sat and sending a few drives at Leinster house?

Wouldn't waste a cracked ultra on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

26th April and two balls only according to the indo. I'm actually beyond angry at this stage.. Dublin zoo is opening before golf and tennis...

Can you firm that it is the 26th April 2021, and not next year?

And 100% of elite GAA players aren't professional, and can't bubble like the professional athletes they're being bundled in with. It's a political decision due to the political clout that the GAA carries.

You'll actually find that a lot of the gaa players are students or working from home like lots of the country anyway. They can't all bubble like the rugby lads, but a lot of them actually can.

• Advertisement

So all of golf is coming back at the end of the month but only underage and intercounty GAA. How come us golfers are getting preferential treatment? Must be cosy with the politicians or something.

The provincial rugby squads

OK but do they not have kids in schools or wife's or partners who they see from time to time?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

So p****d off at this. Apr 26th is a disaster.
    With schools back etc, cases will probably sky rocket during April and then there'll be another review. F**k this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

blue note wrote: »
    Really? Gaa back but golf not? That's surprising. I'll be glad to get back training though.

But how are they allowing back 300 or so teams in Dublin and no golf clubs?

Senior inter-county only. So unless your in the Dublin Panel, I'd sit tight another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Schools fully back on 12th April. By 26th you wouldn’t even know what way things will have gone, wouldn’t even take it as a definite

In fact, if that tweet above is correct, then there is no change even to the 5k on Apr 5th! That is appaling. Hopefully it brings the tweet into doubt because to have no change on Apr 5th would be surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Shocking stuff if true. Country really is a joke

4 more weeks from yesterday, yippee :rolleyes:

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

good that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

The tunnel is too bloody long though, decision is probably based on an inoculation rate that is overly optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

Word here in the North is that we are reverting to four balls on the 12th and visitors might be allowed. Not sure what distance people can travel though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

Try being a Doctor or a nurse at the minute.

You will get your Game soon

Please. This craic of whataboutery...
    Look at the hospitalised numbers - theres not even an issue at the moment.
    Not to mention nobody, not even nphet, actually thinks golf represents a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭IAmTitleist

We haven't had any news up here on driving ranges. Course play only AFAIK

Driving ranges are opening on 1st April in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

This is it in a nutshell. I am fully convinced (and have been since first lockdown) that the GAA are using all their clout in this. There is no way they will "allow" anything else get going before them. It is a nonsense that they are treated as "elite" when they aren't in a bubble like professionals with all that that entails regarding testing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think you've misunderstood the meaning of a bubble, it's not literal. Even top paid professionals don't cocoon themselves away from the rest of the world. Outside of training/matches they are going home to their families.

A professional bubble includes regular weekly testing, it doesn't include heading into work the next morning after training.

Why on earth are people concerned with the GAA here? Good luck to them if they get back out there. Would it make you feel better if all other sports are locked down because golf is?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

This is it in a nutshell. I am fully convinced (and have been since first lockdown) that the GAA are using all their clout in this. There is no way they will "allow" anything else get going before them. It is a nonsense that they are treated as "elite" when they aren't in a bubble like professionals with all that that entails regarding testing etc

When you contrast the whole 2,3 or 4 ball at 8,10 etc minute interval milarky/considerations Vs the complete lack of conditions about regular testing of the GAA lads.. It truly does show it as an Irish solution to an Irish problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Russman

If those reports are true, its definitely not right that GAA is back before golf. Just shows its political clout over science. And as for them being elite, that's nearly a bigger joke.
    I've generally been supportive of how things have been handled (not with everything, but broadly speaking), but GAA ahead of golf and tennis is ridiculous.

Back to imagining a scenario where Rory can win the Masters I guess for me !!

Other than allowing loi teams and rugby teams back before them? And now golf and tennis before practically all of their members?

It's almost as if they're not allowing it, but rather it's out of their hands.

Russman wrote: »
    If those reports are true, its definitely not right that GAA is back before golf. Just shows its political clout over science. And as for them being elite, that's nearly a bigger joke.
    I've generally been supportive of how things have been handled (not with everything, but broadly speaking), but GAA ahead of golf and tennis is ridiculous.

Back to imagining a scenario where Rory can win the Masters I guess for me !!

Its prob about 1500 players total. Its only inter county players. Def less risk than what like 100,000 golfers.
    And inter county players are elite athletes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Its prob about 1500 players total. Its only inter county players. Def less risk than what like 100,000 golfers.
    And inter county players are elite athletes.

Even if that was the case it is Close to zero versus Close to zero

GAA players will be doing meeting etc all over the place and will not be socially distance

Advertisement