Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

PARlance wrote: »
    I think you've misunderstood the meaning of a bubble, it's not literal. Even top paid professionals don't cocoon themselves away from the rest of the world. Outside of training/matches they are going home to their families.

A professional bubble includes regular weekly testing, it doesn't include heading into work the next morning after training.

Yeah but these people 'in a bubble' as you say are still mixing with the general population thereby defeating the purpose of the bubble.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Even if that was the case it is Close to zero versus Close to zero

GAA players will be doing meeting etc all over the place and will not be socially distance

I agree both should be back Apr 5th. If the GAA have some pull or whatever then good for them, weren't people here cribbing that Golf Ireland need to use all their pull too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

blue note wrote: »
    Other than allowing loi teams and rugby teams back before them? And now golf and tennis before practically all of their members?

It's almost as if they're not allowing it, but rather it's out of their hands.

LOI is a professional league (I don't want to get into a debate about the merits of that) and the provinces have the resources for testing etc.

It makes no sense that the first amateur sport allowed to restart training is a contact based sport where they will have pods of 15 or whatever but a squad of 30 plus, plus managers, coaches, dieticians, physios, psychologists and whoever else in the backroom staff these days. I cannot fathom how that is permitted before tennis, golf etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Russman

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Its prob about 1500 players total. Its only inter county players. Def less risk than what like 100,000 golfers.
    And inter county players are elite athletes.

We'll agree to disagree about them being elite athletes, but do you really think they'll stick with "non contact" training if that's what's mandated ? I wouldn't be so sure the risk is lower than golfers where there would be almost 100% compliance with distancing, just by its very nature, not by any sense of golfers being more compliant.

Anyway, f--k it, I couldn't be arsed arguing over things at this stage, it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Even if that was the case it is Close to zero versus Close to zero

GAA players will be doing meeting etc all over the place and will not be socially distance

What meetings?

What are you on about, they'll be be doing training if the rumours are true a week before "all golf" is allowed back.

• Advertisement

Any word on elite amateur golfers being allowed back the week, before the hackers, in line with inter-county GAA?

I see the GAA is the new golf bogeyman :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Frustrating news today but I’m happy that we have a date for the 26th.
    Fingers crossed nothing changes before then which causes government to bottle things even more so than they currently are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If they opened golf up but limited it to the best 33 players in each county (as selected by 1 or 2 people) then few here would be particularly happy about it.
    That's effectively all they've done for GAA, so the whole 'GAA is ahead of golf' thing doesn't really stand up.

Not trying to be smart - ye do have my sympathy and hopefully the end is in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

The one thing i cant get my head around is hundreds of people running around the Zoo and yet only 2 Balls allowed on land twice the size of a Zoo TWO weeks later, something is not right here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

It is absolutely infuriating the decisions that are being made right now and I really really hope I am wrong but I fear that even the 26th won't happen with how risk adverse this government is behaving right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Stacksey wrote: »
    The one thing i cant get my head around is hundreds of people running around the Zoo and yet only 2 Balls allowed on land twice the size of a Zoo TWO weeks later, something is not right here

Since when did we expect the irish goverment to use data and logic as part of their decision making.

Its so depressing the leaks today show that no analysis of any useful data has been done.

What exactly are they and Nphet using to make the decisions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Have to say I’ve been broadly supportive of golf being shut up to now but intercounty teams going back training (along with all the back room spoofers ) before golf is outrageous
    No doubt these intercounty teams have been flouting the training ban over past few months anyway looking for an edge
    Gaa get way too much of an easy ride, remember all the claps on the back they got for making Crowe park available as a testing centre, they got enough public funding for it should have gone without saying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭blue note

If they opened golf up but limited it to the best 33 players in each county (as selected by 1 or 2 people) then few here would be particularly happy about it.
    That's effectively all they've done for GAA, so the whole 'GAA is ahead of golf' thing doesn't really stand up.

Not trying to be smart - ye do have my sympathy and hopefully the end is in sight.

It stands up from the point of view of people wanting to feel like the victim. That they're being treated unfairly.

So they point to the gaa an organisation with hundreds of thousands of members. And fail to mention that it's only a couple thousand actually allowed back. Or point to the elite amateur golf events. And fail to mention that the top ones will have a couple hundred spectators. Whereas the top gaa ones will have 80k people in the ground and a million watching on TV.

It's human nature for some reason to want to feel like the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Allowing GGA inter county players start training from 19 April would indicate that the GAA league is scheduled to start mid/end of May. In fairness they do need a few weeks training before games commence.

I have no real issue with this--we are only 1 week later.

However I do feel golf should have opened prior to the zoo, which attract far more people than a golf course would attract on a given day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

lads, its not Golf Vs the GAA. Its not either or. No point in bashing the GAA, there should be no comparison at all.
    Golf should be spoken about on its own merits and the decision to defer its return is baffling. Nothing to do with the safeness of the activity and all about the optics. I'm fully certain there will be a scandal some day soon when it all comes out how much money this administration (and the previous one) spend on PR consultancy. This is all this is, pure spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Any word on elite amateur golfers being allowed back the week, before the hackers, in line with inter-county GAA?

I see the GAA is the new golf bogeyman :D

Competing professionals and amateurs on elite panels have been allowed play and practice through the level 5 restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

willabur wrote: »
    lads, its not Golf Vs the GAA. Its not either or. No point in bashing the GAA, there should be no comparison at all.
    Golf should be spoken about on its own merits and the decision to defer its return is baffling. Nothing to do with the safeness of the activity and all about the optics. I'm fully certain there will be a scandal some day soon when it all comes out how much money this administration (and the previous one) spend on PR consultancy. This is all this is, pure spin.

in fairness I don't think anyone is bashing the GAA

Optics? what Optics? I don't buy that.

Logic..... What Logic????? :rolleyes: In the main, it was logical to shut a lot of things down, but no logical thinking went into thinking outside the box..... and it is clear that there still isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

Seve OB wrote: »
    in fairness I don't think anyone is bashing the GAA

Optics? what Optics? I don't buy that.

Logic..... What Logic????? :rolleyes: In the main, it was logical to shut a lot of things down, but no logical thinking went into thinking outside the box..... and it is clear that there still isn't.

It was logical when a great deal was not known about the virus, one year ago - fully behind lockdown until we understood what it was we were dealing with. We know alot more now, especially in the extremely low risk of being outdoors and catching a respiratory infection.

Optics, definitely Optics

Competing professionals and amateurs on elite panels have been allowed play and practice through the level 5 restrictions.

So what you are saying is golf has had an exception made for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

willabur wrote: »
    It was logical when a great deal was not known about the virus, one year ago - fully behind lockdown until we understood what it was we were dealing with. We know alot more now, especially in the extremely low risk of being outdoors and catching a respiratory infection.

Optics, definitely Optics

optics for what?
    optics for who?

is it so the government can say to the majority of the population who don't play golf and want to do other things, hey look, we also stopped the boys from hitting the white ball so please don't complain about not being able to get your hair done or go to the shops, gym whatever.

if this is genuinely the reason they must think we are a nation of idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭slingerz

In keeping with the general theme of the government decisions over the course of the pandemic the latest update is set to be even more non sensical

The return of IC GAA isn’t an issue as they are actually being reintroduced well after LOI sides, pro rugby sides.

The main one is golf in 2balls from the same day as the zoo. Many more multiples at the zoo versus people on the course.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've no issues with GAA being back, but not allowing golf and tennis (and any other number of outdoor activities) at the same time is absolutely idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭blue note

Kiith wrote: »
    I've no issues with GAA being back, but not allowing golf and tennis (and any other number of outdoor activities) at the same time is absolutely idiotic.

Sorry, I keep on getting confused. Has there been an announcement on the gaa coming back? Or is it just roughly one person per club? And no return date for 99.9%?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Redriddick

By the time the 26th comes the cases will have gone up and golf will be f**ked again!!

Kiith wrote: »

It's not back. GAA IC training is allowed to start a week before golf based on what we are hearing. I would say part of the decision is driven by the need to get the season started by a certain date.

Also it's not matches, nor is it every club in the country. It's a tiny percentage of players out of all GAA Club members around the country in closed training - unlike golf (7 days later) which will be permitted to allow "all members" to participate. It also appears that elite amateur golfers were able to train during the level 5 lockdown (i wasn't aware they could), so golf has been treated the exact same if not better.

Has it been announced what they are planning? Either way it's a false equivalence.

Just on the Zoo note, I do no Dublin Zoo is a bit fcuked financially so that might be driving that decision to allow to open the same time as golf clubs.

Redriddick wrote: »
    By the time the 26th comes the cases will have gone up and golf will be f**ked again!!

So either way it would have to shut again after approx 2 weeks as we would be going back into level 5.

Cases going up might be fine as long as the hospital numbers stay the same or community transmutation numbers don't start spiralling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Confirmed 26th along with public attractions.

Another month more or less, **** me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Golf back from 26th. Lock the thread ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Golf back a bit later than we would like but its back.

2 balls the only issue, but with longer days and no visitors it should be fine.

Hopefully in June we can have 4 balls back.

Inter club will have to be pushed back to June or July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

RGS wrote: »
    Golf back a bit later than we would like but its back.

2 balls the only issue, but with longer days and no visitors it should be fine.

Hopefully in June we can have 4 balls back.

Inter club will have to be pushed back to June or July.

Are two balls confirmed?

Advertisement