Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

We can’t accepted this and everyone needs to contact there local FF/FG TD and demand they reverse this madness.

Maybe it’s time to get a petition together calling for golf to reopen immediately and for these fools to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭blue note

I suppose the two balls is the only way to stop 4 households hopping in the cars together for rounds.

Great to have a date in the diary anyway. I could do with some outdoor activity. I was getting my hopes up about the gaa coming back, but there doesn't seem to be a date for that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Are two balls confirmed?

No I think that's boll*ox but it wouldn't surprise me,by the end of April there will be thousands of people in parks, beaches and the Zoo and only 36 people on a golf course of 180 acres at any one time, absolutely crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

RGS wrote: »
    Golf back a bit later than we would like but its back.

2 balls the only issue, but with longer days and no visitors it should be fine.

Hopefully in June we can have 4 balls back.

Inter club will have to be pushed back to June or July.

Inter clubs from last year havent even been completed yet. Are memberships going to be asked to give up whatever days they will have left on their competitions calender to facilitate another set of inter clubs that may not even get finished?

Interclubs should be scrapped for the year and GUI levy should be refunded to all members for 2021. And 2020, for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Inter clubs from last year havent even been completed yet. Are memberships going to be asked to give up whatever days they will have left on their competitions calender to facilitate another set of inter clubs that may not even get finished?

Interclubs should be scrapped for the year and GUI levy should be refunded to all members for 2021. And 2020, for that matter.

Seriously wise up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I understand this is very likely except for junior cup. This was a issue I brought up with Golf Ireland directly and feel membership at clubs won’t accept but also clubs can’t afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Seriously wise up.

Is it that big an ask? It would be tokenistic but I don't care. Last year, we didnt even have the full suite of interclubs events and they still couldnt get them played. No guarantee theyl get em played this year either. So what are we paying for this year? To send 'elite' players to Covid hotspots like SA and Portugal etc? Nuts to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ollieboy wrote: »
    We can’t accepted this and everyone needs to contact there local FF/FG TD and demand they reverse this madness.

Maybe it’s time to get a petition together calling for golf to reopen immediately and for these fools to resign.

Ha! No chance they voluntarily give up their cushy number :)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

As special schools are back since February I've been in a small classroom with 7 other people from all over the county for 6 hours a day

And I can't walk around a golf course with another person!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tempora

26th is a joke from a risk standpoint but not unexpected from an optics standpoint. Whatever I guess, nothing to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

antgal23 wrote: »
    As special schools are back since February I've been in a small classroom with 7 other people from all over the county for 6 hours a day

And I can't walk around a golf course with another person!

Don't cha know classrooms full of students is safe, 2 balls outside on a golf course aren't, at least until the end of April according to the government.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Tempora wrote: »
    26th is a joke from a risk standpoint but not unexpected from an optics standpoint. Whatever I guess, nothing to be done.

There wasn’t a hope that golf would be back next week given that other activities have been curtailed. 26th is a good result and optics of it look ok at this point. This isn’t about safety, it never was, decision was taken on a solidarity basis, we are all in this together etc. There are some people who genuinely believe golf courses should have been open for last three months, but these people completely ignore the political reality and the consternation this would have caused in the wider community. Hopefully they reopen this time and don’t close again. More than happy to wait another few weeks and this comes from someone paying a very high sub!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Brewster wrote: »
    There wasn’t a hope that golf would be back next week given that other activities have been curtailed. 26th is a good result and optics of it look ok at this point. This isn’t about safety, it never was, decision was taken on a solidarity basis, we are all in this together etc. There are some people who genuinely believe golf courses should have been open for last three months, but these people completely ignore the political reality and the consternation this would have caused in the wider community. Hopefully they reopen this time and don’t close again. More than happy to wait another few weeks and this comes from someone paying a very high sub!

Yeah, golfgate really fooked our chances of an early start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I swear there's a new buzz word every couple of weeks, I guess the new one is optics and I hate it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I would say part of the decision is driven by the need to get the season started by a certain date.

Well the optics of that just stink.
    Just on the Zoo note, I do no Dublin Zoo is a bit fcuked financially so that might be driving that decision to allow to open the same time as golf clubs.

Oh well if the zoo is f0cked financially then of course they should be allowed reopen.
    But f0ck every other business who is in financial trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I've had April 19th. in my head since February so an extra week isn't too bad. It's just nice to have an actual plan relayed back to us, and not just for golf, rather than the last time where all we got was 'Ah sure we'll see in 6 weeks'.

Time to book a few days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

To be honest most people outside of actual golfers wouldn’t care less about the sport. I’ve neighbours here and if I was complaining about golf not being open they’d only laugh at me. And they’re grand decent people to be fair but golf wouldn’t be on their radar whatsoever. So I don’t expect much public sympathy over it not opening sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

IngazZagni wrote: »

They have been active. The issue is that NPHET and the likes keep pointing to is people travelling various distances to play golf and the various petrol stations they could stop at or the car pooling for the increasing amount of people that don’t have cars in the likes of Dublin.

While I’m going to be extremely disappointed golf won’t open on April 5th, if it’s not expected to open sometime in April I think I’ll have a fit.
    And do you not think thats happening anyway with lads going to work etc

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I swear there's a new buzz word every couple of weeks, I guess the new one is optics and I hate it already.

The last optics I seen were in a bar .....fadó fadó

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

benji79 wrote: »
    To be honest most people outside of actual golfers wouldn’t care less about the sport. I’ve neighbours here and if I was complaining about golf not being open they’d only laugh at me. And they’re grand decent people to be fair but golf wouldn’t be on their radar whatsoever. So I don’t expect much public sympathy over it not opening sooner

Yes and do you think those people would care if you were out in a field over the last few months playing golf?

My guess is most wouldn’t.

Most non golfers I’ve spoken with, cannot understand why we have not been allowed to play.

In general most people are sensible, but yet are being treated like they are stupid

• Advertisement

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Why on earth are people concerned with the GAA here? Good luck to them if they get back out there. Would it make you feel better if all other sports are locked down because golf is?

I don't think people are concerning themselves with The GAA and good luck to them, its the lobbying that their reps do and the perceived lack of representation that Golf Ireland give us

• Registered Users Posts: 20 WWEfansince90s

Were those rumours of April 5 and April 12 mentioned by so many on here just lies?

Or did the government tip off Golf Ireland that the courses would be reopened sooner and go back on their word?

Just seems so unnecessary and strange to push it out to April 26th and especially annoying when it’ll just presumably be two-balls. Also in the back of my mind is the nagging fear that if cases don’t go down the start date may be pushed out again!

But in positive news at least there’s a date

Were those rumours of April 5 and April 12 mentioned by so many on here just lies?

Or did the government tip off Golf Ireland that the courses would be reopened sooner and go back on their word?

Just seems so unnecessary and strange to push it out to April 26th and especially annoying when it’ll just presumably be two-balls. Also in the back of my mind is the nagging fear that if cases don’t go down the start date may be pushed out again!

But in positive news at least there’s a date
    a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.

There probably was a certain amount of truth to them at one point but then the cases refused to drop

Is it that big an ask? It would be tokenistic but I don't care. Last year, we didnt even have the full suite of interclubs events and they still couldnt get them played. No guarantee theyl get em played this year either. So what are we paying for this year? To send 'elite' players to Covid hotspots like SA and Portugal etc? Nuts to that!

I've been banging this drum at our club to forfeit fees to GUI (Golf ireland) they've done nothing for the average club golfer. All clubs should do it and forfeit interclub for the year open up now (most clubs are privately owed land) let members play whats the worst that can happen

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Seve OB wrote: »
    Most non golfers I’ve spoken with, cannot understand why we have not been allowed to play.

In general most people are sensible, but yet are being treated like they are stupid

Agreed..... however I think if they voted FF/FG they cannot complain. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    If i'm not treated for severe depression soon I think I'll throw myself off Howth head.. That's how I'm feeling and I'm supposed to be a lucky one that my work has largely been unaffected, I've a family to go home to but I can literally do nothing that has a purpose to my life. This is not living

do you live within 5km of howth head.

Rikand wrote: »
    There probably was a certain amount of truth to them at one point but then the cases refused to drop

Or they opened up pop up tents for healthy people to go in and get tested.. Coincidence!! I don't think so

Nozebleed wrote: »
    do you live within 5km of howth head.

Are you trying to be funny

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Are you trying to be funny

It kinda was funny :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Seve OB wrote: »
    Well the optics of that just stink.

Oh well if the zoo is f0cked financially then of course they should be allowed reopen.
    But f0ck every other business who is in financial trouble.

Listen don’t be getting arsey with me just because the penguins lobbied harder than golf Ireland.

Advertisement