Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 1 of 7

It is so bizarre from the 12th April two households can meet outdoors for recreational and social interaction activities except on a golf course. They need two extra weeks before it is safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Rikand wrote: »
    It kinda was funny :)

Well you've a weird sense of humour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Were those rumours of April 5 and April 12 mentioned by so many on here just lies?

Or did the government tip off Golf Ireland that the courses would be reopened sooner and go back on their word?

Just seems so unnecessary and strange to push it out to April 26th and especially annoying when it’ll just presumably be two-balls. Also in the back of my mind is the nagging fear that if cases don’t go down the start date may be pushed out again!

But in positive news at least there’s a date

Yeah, it's strange, I would've been disappointed with April 12 tbf (delighted in retrospect obviously), but my club mentioned that date as the likely one for reopening just last Friday, so they obviously got some kind of nod.

Don't know what happened in the interim, very frustrating, but what can we do? That's the worst thing in all this, the powerlessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Well you've a weird sense of humour

You’re on the internet threatening to jump off howth head because you can’t play golf.
    You’d be best going to see a professional for help with your mental health if it’s dependent on golf to that extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Yeah, it's strange, I would've been disappointed with April 12 tbf (delighted in retrospect obviously), but my club mentioned that date as the likely one for reopening just last Friday, so they obviously got some kind of nod.

Don't know what happened in the interim, very frustrating, but what can we do? That's the worst thing in all this, the powerlessness.

Nphet happened in the interim, that's what. They run the country now, that much is blatantly obvious. Except they'll be nowhere to be seen when we're all up to our ears in taxes trying to pay the EU back for all the "assistance".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

If i'm not treated for severe depression soon I think I'll throw myself off Howth head.. That's how I'm feeling and I'm supposed to be a lucky one that my work has largely been unaffected, I've a family to go home to but I can literally do nothing that has a purpose to my life. This is not living

As ForeRight said. You should get help.

Honestly.

We are in a long haul . A few more weeks to go.

No point just giving up.

Hit a few balls in a field. Whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

if you can read properly it's the fact that nothing is available to me to do

Less expletives please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

**** off if you can read properly it's the fact that nothing is available to me to do

Just you?

It’s obvious you’re venting but you sound very irrational. Your posts have been deteriorating the past couple of weeks in this thread.
    You really should get off the internet and go speak to someone professional.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Take it down please folks, we’re better than this

My mint Tesla Model 3 for quick sale

Tesla Model 3 link

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Was listening to Michael McGrath on virgin.
    He stated NPHET didnt want kids training to return until some undetermined date in May.

If NPHET didnt want kids training it's safe to presume they didnt want golf back in April.

So it looks like the government took a decision to push back on sport, which resulted in the presumed return date being pushed out to 26th.

McGrath also mentioned NPHET were not enthused about return of construction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

blue note wrote: »
    I suppose the two balls is the only way to stop 4 households hopping in the cars together for rounds.

Great to have a date in the diary anyway. I could do with some outdoor activity. I was getting my hopes up about the gaa coming back, but there doesn't seem to be a date for that yet.

Any idea how often 4 individuals from4 different households travel in the same car to play golf ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Absolute disaster, no guarantee that golf will be back at all this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tempora

boardise wrote: »
    Any idea how often 4 individuals from4 different households travel in the same car to play golf ?

This is something I see very commonly in the 20-29 age demographic. No statistics but it is something that happens.

boardise wrote: »

Never, would be my guess from pretty extensive observation.

TBH, I've only ever seen one person emerge from a car at golf clubs, two at a push, usually husband and wife.

No one can fit four sets of clubs and electric trolleys in their car, a mini bus maybe!

RGS wrote: »
    Was listening to Michael McGrath on virgin.
    He stated NPHET didnt want kids training to return until some undetermined date in May.

If NPHET didnt want kids training it's safe to presume they didnt want golf back in April.

So it looks like the government took a decision to push back on sport, which resulted in the presumed return date being pushed out to 26th.

McGrath also mentioned NPHET were not enthused about return of construction.

Brilliant strategy, blame Nphet for everything.

They're the Government, they make the decisions, hiding behind Nphet will not save them at the ballot box, a fact they seem comically unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭blue note

Tempora wrote: »
    This is something I see very commonly in the 20-29 age demographic. No statistics but it is something that happens.

Yep, in my 20s we did it a few times and more recently we got 6 into a car with 6 sets of golf clubs, 6 overnight bags and a couple of laptops. It was a volvo xc90. I was very impressed, I didn't think it could be done.

And even now, before covid my most regular playing partners would be my two brothers in law. We're driving from the same place so would always have gone together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Disappointing news today but **** me some amount of toys been thrown from the pram in here today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Disappointing news today but **** me some amount of toys been thrown from the pram in here today

Today?

Yep, in my 20s we did it a few times and more recently we got 6 into a car with 6 sets of golf clubs, 6 overnight bags and a couple of laptops. It was a volvo xc90. I was very impressed, I didn't think it could be done.

That was hardly to play in the weekly comp, or a casual round on a Tuesday?!

We're not talking about opens or golf trips away, but playing in your own club on a sunny Sunday morning or afternoon.

Tempora wrote: »

The general run of middleaged and older players travel alone or at most one other. They like their independence ,they're more likely to wear masks if with another and their journeys would usually be quite short.
    The twenty somethings are likely to act the same way no matter what they do ...I'm not knocking them -it's the natural impetuosity of youth allied with their inbuilt sense of carefree invincibliity.
    Frankly , the idea that golf is a risk because of carloads of players careering around the country is utterly vacuous and unsustainable,
    The inanity of NPHET and the political class is startling to behold. They seem to have little grasp of social reality or how the real world works, They're beyond pathetic.

• Advertisement

Yep, in my 20s we did it a few times and more recently we g
    ot 6 into a car with 6 sets of golf clubs, 6 overnight bags and a couple of laptops. It was a volvo xc90. I was very impressed, I didn't think it could be done.

And even now, before covid my most regular playing partners would be my two brothers in law. We're driving from the same place so would always have gone together.

Sounds like Guinness Book of Records territory, :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

if you can read properly it's the fact that nothing is available to me to do

Less expletives please

What do you mean..I haven't followed thread religiously as I felt it was too negative of a space.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Any idea when inter-club will return? I guess not until July time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

CSWS101 wrote: »

Assuming that we reopened early April, first rounds were due to be finished mid May, so expecting that to be pushed to early June

CSWS101 wrote: »

I'd imagine July at the earliest. If they're insisting on two balls for the first few weeks of golf there will be very little tee times available. Lads will be rusty for a long time to come yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Is there any indication that it is going to be 2 balls only upon return?

I'd imagine July at the earliest. If they're insisting on two balls for the first few weeks of golf there will be very little tee times available. Lads will be rusty for a long time to come yet.

I honestly dont think that 2 ball thing will happen

It makes no sense

gypsy79 wrote: »
    I honestly dont think that 2 ball thing will happen

It makes no sense

I hope you're right. But then again very little of what was announced yesterday makes sense........

I hope you're right. But then again very little of what was announced yesterday makes sense........

My life literally changed nothing yesterday which shows how little understanding they have of what is happening in the real world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Mark Kinneally on Morning Ireland now

Advertisement