Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

gypsy79 wrote: »
    My life literally changed nothing yesterday which shows how little understanding they have of what is happening in the real world

Agreed. Unfortunately I've had a few messages this morning from disgruntled members wondering if they should pay up for this year, or give it a miss. I understand their frustration. You'll get decent conditions for golf from may till September and then it's wind down mode. Its catch 22. You don't pay up, then your club suffers. You do pay up, and you feel like your being seriously short changed.....
    And this is our second year of this remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Any news on when driving ranges will re-open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Is there any indication that it is going to be 2 balls only upon return?

The general guideline from government for the public is 2 households outdoors. Sport Ireland will use that guideline and it is likely we will be using the 2 household rule on the golf course. NI initial return is also based on the 2 household rule.

So now we await an update from Golf Ireland on what the guidelines will be from April 26th.

If Kids are back training and people can go to the Zoo etc. and all that comes with that, then there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that we can't go straight back to 4 balls and competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Agreed. Unfortunately I've had a few messages this morning from disgruntled members wondering if they should pay up for this year, or give it a miss. I understand their frustration. You'll get decent conditions for golf from may till September and then it's wind down mode. Its catch 22. You don't pay up, then your club suffers. You do pay up, and you feel like your being seriously short changed.....
    And this is our second year of this remember.

And already talks of locking down in September has started

Surely golf will be exempt this time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

And already talks of locking down in September has started

Surely golf will be exempt this time

Where's the talk of Sept lockdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

RGS wrote: »
    The general guideline from government for the public is 2 households outdoors. Sport Ireland will use that guideline and it is likely we will be using the 2 household rule on the golf course. NI initial return is also based on the 2 household rule.

It really would be an idea to have every club and registered golfer bombard golf Ireland with emails now demanding they associate themselves closer to the pod system of training rather than the household mixing one.
    A solo decision of 2 balls by golfireland will be shocking and they have previous of being extreme in trying to show what good boys they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Where's the talk of Sept lockdown

Many politicians including our fine Tanaiste have mentioned restrictions returning next winter. All the usual vague languages.

New normal...lockdowns will now protect the HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Many politicians including our fine Tanaiste have mentioned restrictions returning next winter. All the usual vague languages.

Surely if they see this is a new normal there will be mass immigration, who wants to stay here in an indefinite lockdown loop while listening to the likes of last nights "announcements".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Golf Ireland seems to be treating this as a success :confused:

gi-contact.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Golf Ireland seems to be treating this as a success :confused:

gi-contact.png

And their phone app is back up and running too....... They're on a roll now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Here's Golf Ireland's rules for courses in the north from tomorrow

golfireland.jpg

Here's Golf Ireland's rules for courses in the north from tomorrow

golfireland.jpg

How in gods name are clubs supposed to police that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

Never gonna happen IMHO. The vaccine data is just too good. COVID's days are numbered, another few months and we have it beat. Even the dumbest politician wouldn't dare lockdown to protect the HSE from regular flu. Unless by restrictions, its something like mask wearing in shops for the winter. Hardly a massive inconvenience.

I don't know what the GUI think, and I know it would be hugely controversial and so many players invest heavily in it, but is there an argument to just forget about inter-club for this season ? So many issues, guys have lost jobs, on the PUP, if we're playing in two's the timesheets will be full, and how do you run off a foresomes/fourball match, strokeplay qualifying in 2 balls - is the enough capacity ? Plus no club will want to give up a precious hour or two on the sheet given the likely pent up demand.
    Not sure what I think myself to be honest, but food for thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ForeRight wrote:

Which bit is hard? The booking system handles most if it. The only other bit is the time you arrive. Clubs were doing that last time with no problems I know of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

blue note wrote: »
    Yep, in my 20s we did it a few times and more recently we got 6 into a car with 6 sets of golf clubs, 6 overnight bags and a couple of laptops. It was a volvo xc90. I was very impressed, I didn't think it could be done.

Well that didn't happen anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭bustercherry

ForeRight wrote: »

Largely irrelevant how - the NI executive has deemed only 2 households can mix. Up to golf to make it work otherwise I'd assume thy would be sanctioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

It really would be an idea to have every club and registered golfer bombard golf Ireland with emails now demanding they associate themselves closer to the pod system of training rather than the household mixing one.
    A solo decision of 2 balls by golfireland will be shocking and they have previous of being extreme in trying to show what good boys they are.

Golf Ireland will be told by Sport Ireland what is needed to get golf back up and running. The government rule for the general public will be 2 households outdoors
    Golf Ireland can object, cant argue how idiotic it is but at the end of the day golf Ireland will have to adhere to the guidelines from Sport Ireland. If they don't accept the rule we don't open.

I disagree with the 2 household rule and it is crazy when you have the zoo and other facilities open which will attract more people than a golf course but thems the rules.

First Up wrote: »
    Which bit is hard? The booking system handles most if it. The only other bit is the time you arrive. Clubs were doing that last time with no problems I know of.

Groups must contain people from only 2 households.
    Are we going to limit golf to 2 balls to accommodate this?

All while gaa lads and kids train in pods of 15 in a contact sport.

Golf Ireland will be told by Sport Ireland what is needed to get golf back up and running. The government rule for the general public will be 2 households outdoors
    Golf Ireland can object, cant argue how idiotic it is but at the end of the day golf Ireland will have to adhere to the guidelines from Sport Ireland. If they don't accept the rule we don't open.

I disagree with the 2 household rule and it is crazy when you have the zoo and other facilities open which will attract more people than a golf course but thems the rules.

Pods of 15 for outdoor training with other sports that are contact yet 2 balls for golf as that’s mixing households.
    Beggars belief really.

The north is 2 balls until the 12th which is 2 weeks before we are back. We will be 2 balls a fortnight after they go to 4 balls.
    It’s all a bit bizarre now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭blue note

Well that didn't happen anyway

That was the set up. Six seats. We took the woods out and put the clubs across the back. The six back packs fitted in easily. There wasn't even much forcing the boot closed.

It's some beast of a car too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭newport2

Russman wrote: »
    I don't know what the GUI think, and I know it would be hugely controversial and so many players invest heavily in it, but is there an argument to just forget about inter-club for this season ? So many issues, guys have lost jobs, on the PUP, if we're playing in two's the timesheets will be full, and how do you run off a foresomes/fourball match, strokeplay qualifying in 2 balls - is the enough capacity ? Plus no club will want to give up a precious hour or two on the sheet given the likely pent up demand.
    Not sure what I think myself to be honest, but food for thought.

I'm surprised they are even entertaining the thought of interclub this year to be honest. It seems so far down the pegging order to me at the moment. Like you say, a lot of stuff going on for players, not to mention some clubs struggling. Could be a while before clubhouses are open. We've yet to hold the second day of last year's Captain's Prize, which is supposed to still happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Just confirming that I read similar comments coming from the Leak. Not optimistic myself for the coming Winter months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭newport2

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Just confirming that I read similar comments coming from the Leak. Not optimistic myself for the coming Winter months.

If they have ongoing lockdowns after this summer to protect the HSE, there will be nobody left to fund the HSE. Sooner or later they will have to address the gaping hole in our economy that this has created. We can't borrow our way out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Lefty2Guns wrote: »

Restrictions ≠ Lockdown. That is an important point many people seem to overlook. The likelyhood is that they mean mask-wearing, social distancing, limited numbers in stores, etc. And that's at a push.

Lockdown cycles beyond us having the population vaccinated is madness and I think even NPHET know that, even in all their caution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭benny79

I have gone onto golf Ireland's twitter page. Where they released a statement yesterday happy with the return date on the 26th. They are getting a bit of stick, not 1 good comment. As the rest of the golfing community clearly isnt. I suggest people maybe do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭boardise

Yeah,them's the rules --made by fools.
    One despairs at the quality of thought and analysis that characterises those in high office. I seriously fault Golf Ireland for their failure to clearly underline in full detail the negligible threat that arises from golf...and the economic damage being unnecessarily inflicted on golf clubs every week that passes.
    And it's not just the negligible risk -but the corresponding reward of getting fresh air exercise and the associated mental health dividend for golfers (and their families too.) which all parties agree are vital now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

When do we expect an actual decision on this?

I’d welcome even 2 ball tbh if it got things going again.

I only joined a club last month so just want to get out there in any way possible.

Would agree though seems mental to not allow 4 ball and have GAAAAAAAA allowed. But it’s Ireland so doesn’t surprise me.

I’ve asked already but can someone explain to me why golf falls into the 2 household mixing outdoors rather than the sports pods of 15 catagory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I’ve asked already but can someone explain to me why golf falls into the 2 household mixing outdoors rather than the sports pods of 15 category?

I'd guess the thinking is that it's all that's needed to have a functional and sociable round of golf. Presumably tennis is also limited to 2 people?
    Whereas the team sports by definition have more people working in a unit.

Advertisement