Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

ForeRight wrote: »
    My friends father is heavily involved with golf Ireland and he told me last night that Golf Ireland set to announce golf in single one ball only for the first 2 weeks from April 26th in the republic.

not a bad effort on april 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

RGS wrote: »
    not a bad effort on april 1st.

I thought it might get a bit of action seen as though it’s not too far beyond the truth :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

I understand the frustration and criticism of Golf Ireland.
    Golf Ireland could be on every social media, radio and TV Station extolling the virtues of golf but nothing would change.
    We have to understand golf Ireland have no control over the issue.
    NPHET are running the show and they determine how we re open society.

NPHETS recent letter to the Minister contained this little gem:

"Consideration will also be given to the phased return of non-contact outdoor training, starting with under 13s, in May."
    How a group of medics could sit down and suggest delaying the return to training of kids is beyond my understanding. Especially since all clubs have rules and regulations in place.

IMO Golf Ireland and other sports have a serious challenge trying to change the ultra cautious approach of NPHET.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

My friends father is heavily involved with golf Ireland and he told me last night that Golf Ireland set to announce golf in single one ball only for the first 2 weeks from April 26th in the republic.

I hear they are going to trial with zero balls to start. Then you can only play with your other 1/2 for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭blue note

I hear the tennis lads are only allowed to play against a wall to begin with too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Golf Ireland on twitter this morning saying women will not be permitted onto golf courses until June at the earlier. They say they're expecting big demand from men once courses re open and need to create more room on the time sheet to accommodate them.

Harsh enough on the women but more space for the lads.. Happy days.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I smell a sting in the tail. An easy out for gov and nphet.

jmwDc80.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

RGS wrote: »
    I understand the frustration and criticism of Golf Ireland.
    Golf Ireland could be on every social media, radio and TV Station extolling the virtues of golf but nothing would change.
    We have to understand golf Ireland have no control over the issue.
    NPHET are running the show and they determine how we re open society.

NPHETS recent letter to the Minister contained this little gem:

"Consideration will also be given to the phased return of non-contact outdoor training, starting with under 13s, in May."
    How a group of medics could sit down and suggest delaying the return to training of kids is beyond my understanding. Especially since all clubs have rules and regulations in place.

IMO Golf Ireland and other sports have a serious challenge trying to change the ultra cautious approach of NPHET.
    Because kids require transport to games and training. So that means adults mixing while waiting or watching the sessions. And then there's the prospect of car-pooling where some parents aren't available. The stupidity of people has to be seen to be believed. A friend of mine works at a test centre and he tells me that the number of people turning up for tests without masks on is ridiculous. One person said he didn't need to wear one because "I'm the driver".

With that kind of idiocy, no wonder we have so many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

I smell a sting in the tail. An easy out for gov and nphet.

But yet the proviso doesn't apply to GAA and other elite sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Golf Ireland on twitter this morning saying women will not be permitted onto golf courses until June at the earlier. They say they're expecting big demand from men once courses re open and need to create more room on the time sheet to accommodate them.

Harsh enough on the women but more space for the lads.. Happy days.

Nice bit of sexism to start the day,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Lip Out wrote: »

It says outdoor sports facilities such as pitches, tennis and golf. Don't they play GAA on pitches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Nice bit of sexism to start the day,

Check the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

First Up wrote: »
    It says outdoor sports facilities such as pitches, tennis and golf. Don't they play GAA on pitches?

548861.jpg

548861.jpg
    Not sure why this is being queried. The numbers involved at elite level sports is a hell of a lot less than would be in normal tennis, golf, underage sport and amusement parks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭bustercherry

So what?

Somebody on here the other day (I didn't fact check) has pointed out that elite amateur golfers can already practice and could during the current restrictions. If so, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Not sure why this is being queried. The numbers involved at elite level sports is a hell of a lot less than would be in normal tennis, golf, underage sport and amusement parks etc.

Elite level sports....... intercounty bogball football? :pac:

So what?

Somebody on here the other day (I didn't fact check) has pointed out that elite amateur golfers can already practice and could during the current restrictions. If so, nothing to see here.

They aren't allowed back training until the 19th is the so what and there was a reminder issued from the GAA about this on Tuesday apparently. The optics don't look good around it and I'm sure they aren't the only ones doing it but the society we live in now will have people looking for blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

So I am vaccinated, am I allowed play golf up north?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Mark Kenneally, the CEO of Golf Ireland, was formerly the chief of staff in the Department of the Taoiseach, he is one of the most politically connected people in the country, he knows how to lobby and who to lobby, you can be certain that he was working all the back channels that you can imagine and probably some you can't making the case for golf.

Just because he is 'politically connected' does not mean he is influencial or has any power. Its a two way street and maybe instead of him lobbying and using back channels, it is possible he was told to get in line and follow the Governments decision. Has he ever said that he does not agree with the decisions made ?????

Just got an email from the club captain to say its 'two balls and nine holes only from 26th' with eight minute intervals :mad: max 16 people every hour for about 9 hours means that roughly one in six of the entire membership gets to play. All I can say is God help any FF/FG chancers that knock on my door :eek:, this will not be forgotten.

Dtoffee wrote: »
    Just because he is 'politically connected' does not mean he is influencial or has any power. Its a two way street and maybe instead of him lobbying and using back channels, it is possible he was told to get in line and follow the Governments decision. Has he ever said that he does not agree with the decisions made ?????

Just got an email from the club captain to say its 'two balls and nine holes only from 26th' with eight minute intervals :mad: max 16 people every hour for about 9 hours means that roughly one in six of the entire membership gets to play. All I can say is God help any FF/FG chancers that knock on my door :eek:, this will not be forgotten.
    That memo from your golf club has nothing to do with the government. There is no requirement outlined yet on frequency of time slots or number of people playing. There may well be one closer to the date, but as of now. No. So your golf club is doing this off their own bat for reasons known only to themselves. As an example, the guidance for clubs in NI does not require such restrictions.

• Advertisement

Are you a 9 hole course? Presume they will be using both 9's and the reason for 9 holes is to cope with the initial demand to get everyone back out in the first few days. I presume if the space allows on the timesheet that you can also play 18 holes but this is only if there isn't a booking on the other 9 when you finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Wombatman wrote: »
    Elite level sports....... intercounty bogball football? :pac:

Fan or not of gaa, using the "If they can why cant I" approach is childish,
    I'd expect that argument from a 5 year old.

If your arguing for Golf to open & stay open in ireland, use the facts around golf.
    Its outdoors, there is social distance by nature of the sport (Especially when I hit the left woods and my partner hits the right woods) You have no reason to touch other players or other players equipment, Its a fantastic boost to mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I wasn't aware ranges could reopen on April 26th??

Outdoor non essential retail can't even open until May and golf on the 26th appears to limited to 2 balls with no club house open.

Kinseally Grange opening on the 26th of April. Or do I have it wrong. Will be able to go to the range from the 26th.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNFpWPoDvm2/?igshid=1wlw6jad3baxw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

Outdoor non essential retail can't even open until May and golf on the 26th appears to limited to 2 balls with no club house open.

Kinseally Grange opening on the 26th of April. Or do I have it wrong. Will be able to go to the range from the 26th.

Yeah gubment seem dead set on destroying small retail. Don't understand the logic. Was shocked to see click and collect not allowed either. Very "Anti Business" agenda at play in this country at the moment.

Where are you getting this?

Ranges may be open. Lots of ifs and buts about that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Where are you getting this?

Ranges may be open. Lots of ifs and buts about that statement.

Trying to find the article. It referenced Leo Varadkar as saying non contact sports were being limited to 2 people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Fan or not of gaa, using the "If they can why cant I" approach is childish,
    I'd expect that argument from a 5 year old.

If your arguing for Golf to open & stay open in ireland, use the facts around golf.
    Its outdoors, there is social distance by nature of the sport (Especially when I hit the left woods and my partner hits the right woods) You have no reason to touch other players or other players equipment, Its a fantastic boost to mental health.

It might seem childish posting this......but I'm going to do it anyway. Common sense is often patently obvious to children.

"Dublin GAA stars broke rules on Covid gatherings with early morning training"

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-gaa-stars-broke-rules-on-covid-gatherings-with-early-morning-training-40263682.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Are you saying that Golf Ireland shouldn't have followed the Government's decision?

How are you suggesting tee times should be managed then to get more golfers around the course?

Towards the end of April, there will be close to 15 hours daylight, about 6am to 9pm. Let's use 7am as our starting time, with 9 hole two balls the last time can be 7:30pm, or 12 1/2 hours of tee times, its 15 golfers an hour with 2 balls at 8 minutes and 2 nines. That is about 370 golfers that can play with your club's times and in a timely fashion. If 1/6th of your members can only play that's nearly 2,000 members

If you want to have more in a group than 2, spacing between groups needs to be more and it takes longer to get around, so you can't have fourballs at 8 minute intervals, 10 minute intervals for fourballs is still not advisable, it clogs up the course, the minimum for 4 balls would be 12 minutes, that is 20 golfers an hour, last tee time to get 18 in would be 5 in late april, now you have 7 until 5 or 10 hours, that's 200 golfers to get to play 18. Which is better 200 playing 18 or 370 playing 9?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

You'll have to name those clubs that had evidence of transmission cases because I haven't heard of any. And were those cases logged with the HSE? Because again, I didn't hear any mention of golf club related outbreaks in their memos.
    Golf Ireland failed in most peoples eyes because justifying golf as a covid safe activity should be like shooting fish in a barrel. And yet we still ended up behind team sports and lumped in with the zoo FFS.

I'm sure you understand why it would be completely inappropriate to name the clubs where cases were transmitted.

Golf is not the only low risk covid activity, why are none of them open now? Did all those organisations all fail to score the open goal or shoot fish in a barrel too?

For all those that think Golf Ireland have failed, golf is the first organised mass participation sport to come back. Was there organised boating, kayaking, sailing or rock climbing during this lockdown? I could be wrong but I don't think there was. Aren't all these activities just as socially distant as golf? Where is their 'golfgate' that kept them closed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Are you saying that Golf Ireland shouldn't have followed the Government's decision?

How are you suggesting tee times should be managed then to get more golfers around the course?

Towards the end of April, there will be close to 15 hours daylight, about 6am to 9pm. Let's use 7am as our starting time, with 9 hole two balls the last time can be 7:30pm, or 12 1/2 hours of tee times, its 15 golfers an hour with 2 balls at 8 minutes and 2 nines. That is about 370 golfers that can play with your club's times and in a timely fashion. If 1/6th of your members can only play that's nearly 2,000 members

If you want to have more in a group than 2, spacing between groups needs to be more and it takes longer to get around, so you can't have fourballs at 8 minute intervals, 10 minute intervals for fourballs is still not advisable, it clogs up the course, the minimum for 4 balls would be 12 minutes, that is 20 golfers an hour, last tee time to get 18 in would be 5 in late april, now you have 7 until 5 or 10 hours, that's 200 golfers to get to play 18. Which is better 200 playing 18 or 370 playing 9?

Covid restrictions last season meant you couldn't tee off until a member of staff was in the Club Shop. The club I was member in didn't open the club shop until 8.30am.

Advertisement