Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Sean Defoe saying as long as courses are within 5km and play by yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

paulie21 wrote: »

Seen that, would be some crack trying to get a tee time. Bad enough as it is with the increased golf memberships and reducing daylight. Still i'd take it instead off no golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tescosfinest

paulie21 wrote: »

They are classifying GAA as elite which can continue, you have to laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

They are classifying GAA as elite which can continue, you have to laugh

Sure the GAA are like the farmers in this country, They shout jump and government ask how high.. Elite my arse, sure isn't it an amateur sport??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Sure the GAA are like the farmers in this country, They shout jump and government ask how high.. Elite my arse, sure isn't it an amateur sport??

The gaa bring a lot of enjoyment to thousands of people all over the country........golf does what?

• Advertisement

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    The gaa bring a lot of enjoyment to thousands of people all over the country........golf does what?

Brings enjoyment to thousands of people all over the country

Brings enjoyment to thousands of people all over the country

It’s shown live on RTÉ every weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It’s shown live on RTÉ every weekend?

what is your point?
    GAA is more deserving to go ahead than golf because in your opinion it brings joy to 1000's of people every week and is on tele?

Seve OB wrote: »
    what is your point?
    GAA is more deserving to go ahead than golf because in your opinion it brings joy to 1000's of people every week and is on tele?

Precisely, huge spectator sport....up to 1million watched the football final last yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

I play both and there’s no comparison really. GAA would have a much wider appeal and audience

• Advertisement

benji79 wrote: »
    I play both and there’s no comparison really. GAA would have a much wider appeal and audience

Likewise, love golf but to say it should be treated the same as gaa is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Likewise, love golf but to say it should be treated the same as gaa is ludicrous.

Surely the contact nature of the sport should dictate. I.e tennis your not near other player. Golf same. Whereas Football gaa hurling are all contact sports so appeal shouldnt really come into if it is a safety issue. The pub appeals to more people for enjoyment than all sports put together

Id be surprised if any sport gets given go ahead but enjoyment shouldnt be part of criteria from a contact tracing viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Precisely, huge spectator sport....up to 1million watched the football final last yr.

4 million tuned in to watch Lowry win the Open last year.

I suspect we could go back and forth and round in circles all night. All sports important.

It's nothing to do with watching Golf. It's the participation and enjoyment or whatever you want to call it that it gives people across the country in a controlled and safe manner.

The upsurge in participation recently should be proof of that and used by the GUI in their reasoning with either Sport Ireland or Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Your on the wrong forum if you want to big up the Gaa

Your on the wrong forum if you want to big up the Gaa

I love both.......is that a crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The gaa bring a lot of enjoyment to thousands of people all over the country......

Will probably be bringing Covid to thousands of people all over the country as well!

The whole point of "elite" sport continuing in most sensible countries is that teams can "bubble" effectively. The GAA lads are back into work today and the testing is nowhere where it should be atm.

Big GAA fan and can see the positives about it providing much needed entertainment but it really is madness that it's going ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Rumours are golf will remain open but you can only play your course if within 5km. Source Matt Cooper show.

Nothing concrete yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

The GAA are being paid by the government to run the championships. No gate income allowed and costly teams to run - the GAA were going to cancel it but the government asked them not to and are paying for it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

PARlance wrote: »
    Will probably be bringing Covid to thousands of people all over the country as well!

The whole point of "elite" sport continuing in most sensible countries is that teams can "bubble" effectively. The GAA lads are back into work today and the testing is nowhere where it should be atm.

Big GAA fan and can see the positives about it providing much needed entertainment but it really is madness that it's going ahead.

Yeah I agree with this. I think professional sport is a great outlet for people at the moment. I love soccer and look forward to the matches each week because they are one of the few pleasures in life right now.

The GAA aren't in that position for the reasons you specify. They are effectively regular Joes and Josephines who represent an increased risk of spreading the virus.

• Advertisement

Blud wrote: »
    The GAA are being paid by the government to run the championships. No gate income allowed and costly teams to run - the GAA were going to cancel it but the government asked them not to and are paying for it to happen.

Wonder was that on advice from Mr Holohan ?

There is a recommendation that people from two households can meet up for exercise. If that was applied to golf it would forbid 4 balls unless from 2 households.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

Gaa as a spectator sport is hugely important in Ireland. It's by far the most attended sport in the country. It is different letting the intercounty lads play because they can't cocoon like professional sports people and that has to be weighed up against the benefit. But I can certainly see reasons to keep it going. You can't compare Sunday golf to intercounty gaa.

I do think golf should remain open. But we'll see what comes out in the recommendations.

blue note wrote: »
    Gaa as a spectator sport is hugely important in Ireland. It's by far the most attended sport in the country. It is different letting the intercounty lads play because they can't cocoon like professional sports people and that has to be weighed up against the benefit. But I can certainly see reasons to keep it going. You can't compare Sunday golf to intercounty gaa.

I do think golf should remain open. But we'll see what comes out in the recommendations.

I just think it would be crazy to let 30 amateur lads take each other on in a contact sport and at the same time close the golf courses

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

So 1 million people watching a final which won’t happen any time soon means thAt bog ball played by a few hundred people in close contact Is more important for the mental health of the greater population than the hundreds of thousands who actually get out and play non contact socially distant golf.

Couldn’t agree more.
    Contact sports should not be played, especially by groups who cannot contain themselves in a bubble like the professional teams in the premier league are doing for example. GAA teams are not professional and have to go to work after.
    But you seem to be saying that because in your opinion GAA is better liked than golf, that people should be allowed to play a group contact sport, then go about their daily/work life meeting whoever.

Of course that makes much more sense than allowing people play a solo non contact sport :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Do we know if we can or cannot play golf?

Whiplash85 wrote: »

These discussions are taking place as we type, there are some dark forces around a large oval table right now with arguments for the courses closing I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Whiplash85 wrote: »

Everytime I close my eyes I'm on the course, they can never take that away from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Everytime I close my eyes I'm on the course, they can never take that away from me.

I wish they could take that away from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

I just think it would be crazy to let 30 amateur lads take each other on in a contact sport and at the same time close the golf courses

4 lads going out in a fourball is great for those four lads. And I'm not dismissing it's importance in any way. On top of that very low risk.

Allowing all levels of gaa teams to play once these new restrictions come in would me mental in fairness. But the championship returning will be huge in a lot of people's lives. You're not balancing the benefit for the thirty players versus the risk, you're balancing the benefit to the hundreds of thousands that will enjoy watching it. For the finals and possibly semi finals it could be over a million. For some fans it will be something to put on in the background, others will watch all the matches and record them to rewatch them.

Advertisement