Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

tbayers wrote: »
    The bigger issue here is renewing memberships. Clubs will have to think long and hard to get people to sign back up. Charging 100% rate for 70-80% usage is crazy tbh. All other clubs are pausing memberships too, why are golf clubs different?
    Probably because golf clubs require maintenance even when they're closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

DeanAustin wrote: »

This is a pain in the bollox and I don’t think there is much risk associated with golf but so be it. Government in a ****ty spot to be fair.

After all the county final Covid explosions they keep GAA going. Paddy Power tells them he wants horseracing kept going. After the first major study on Covid from Princeton and John Moore's shows kids are the largest superspreaders they keep the schools open.

Government are ****ting in their own bed and rolling in it.

Hoboo wrote: »
    After all the county final Covid explosions they keep GAA going. Paddy Power tells them he wants horseracing kept going. After the first major study on Covid from Princeton and John Moore's shows kids are the largest superspreaders they keep the schools open.

Government are ****ting in their own bed and rolling in it.
    Not casting doubt on those studies, but aren't they based solely on the US experience? We would have our own data which may not (and absolutely open to correction here) give the same results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

The bigger issue here is renewing memberships. Clubs will have to think long and hard to get people to sign back up. Charging 100% rate for 70-80% usage is crazy tbh. All other clubs are pausing memberships too, why are golf clubs different?

You wonder about members who's club is outside of 5km or over county boundary's. That's bound to have an effect on peoples decision to renew or not next year as this is hardly going away before next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

PARlance wrote: »
    The GUI won't be issuing a statement to advise Clubs to ignore Government advice.

The GUI were most likely caught on the hop by Ryan's comments and are almost certainly buying some time to get it clarified. I hold out plenty of hope that Ryan made a mess of his answer to the journalist. I think the GUI would have been consulted in advance if all golf was to cease at L5.

I hope you're right but doubt it. The government is having to address a lot of interests here as well as trying to get the lockdown organised. There are a million things that would be ahead of the GUI on the priorities list.

I hope Ryan misspoke but doubt it. He seemed fairly sure and wasn't corrected by Martin or Varadkar. Think we're screwed.

**** it, we're losing 6 weeks at a fairly ****ty time of year. I don't like it, I don't really think it's necessary but it's a fairly small sacrifice when you see what other people are going through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

prawnsambo wrote:

At least the grass has just about stopped growing

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

prawnsambo wrote: »

Even if they are on wage subsidy scheme?? I dunno, more can be done. Especially since most clubs (ones that I know of) have gained an awful lot of new members

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Even if they are on wage subsidy scheme?? I dunno, more can be done. Especially since most clubs (ones that I know of) have gained an awful lot of new members

The grass still needs to be cut, the bunkers still need to be maintained, hollow coring, verti-cutting, sanding, etc, etc all need to be done, subsidy scheme or not.

Otherwise the course you return to wont look like you left it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

It's a discussion that has been had before. Membership doesn't necessarily make up for the lost Bar/ProShop/Green Fee revenue that has been impacted since March/April.

You could make a case for a club reducing rates or adding an extra couple of months on to your renewal but I wouldn't be aggrieved if my course didnt offer it.

If you feel that your club should offer something like that then you should simply ask but I know it's not something I would request.

• Advertisement

I don't think the new members would outweigh the loss of income from three of the busiest months of the year for some golf clubs that depend on society bookings, visitor green fees and open competitions. Granted that this time of the year is not so busy, but it's also the time when some clubs would have introductory membership schemes running - like 15 months for the price of 12 etc.

Not casting doubt on those studies, but aren't they based solely on the US experience? We would have our own data which may not (and absolutely open to correction here) give the same results.

No the study was performed in India not the US, and I agree with you as does the study, it may not be perfectly transferable to every country, but it's the only major peer reviewed and published paper concluded worldwide. I've yet to see an Irish peer reviewed study. We seem to be relying on test numbers and visual interpretation, amongst a group with a high number of asymptomatic carriers so therefore aren't being tested, which I find baffling.

I'm open to correction on everything I've said, just trying to garner information from reliable sources and studies, rather than moving on....... nothing to see here folks. I fully support government advice btw, this is just something I came across yesterday and seems to blow the kids arent spreaders theory to pieces.

Here's the paper. Only one but it's all we have so far.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/09/29/science.abd7672

Here is the media article.

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020/09/30/largest-covid-19-contact-tracing-study-date-finds-children-key-spread-evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Does Wednesday midnight mean tonight or Wednesday golf will be allowed??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Does Wednesday midnight mean tonight or Wednesday golf will be allowed??

It's midnight on Wednesday which is Wednesday night...

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

So 00.00 tonight then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Mushy wrote: »
    So 00.00 tonight then?

Restrictions will be in place approx 38 hours from now.

I'm a bit astounded by the inability to works out what time midnight on Wednesday is. :D

It's not a different time-zone lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Joined a new club last Friday.
    Leaving current club due to the lack of time slots since the last lockdown and the increase in member numbers. Current club is 7 km from house. New club is 15km but cost less than 50%.

Now I can go to neither ehen the restrictions of 5km return.
    I work 20km from home in a medical device company that has confirmed cases of covid but continue to work as procedures are in place with to assist social distancing and health and safety along with the hse have said it is safe to continue.

The temptation of going to my current club is too much unless they stop me from putting my name on timesheet.

If only we had a 24 hour clock instead of using vague old english terminology :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Leaving current club due to the lack of time slots since the last lockdown and the increase in member numbers. Current club is 7 km from house. New club is 15km but cost less than 50%.

I work 20km from home in a medical device company that has confirmed cases of covid but continue to work as procedures are in place with to assist social distancing and health and safety along with the hse have said it is safe to continue.

The temptation of going to my current club is too much unless they stop me from putting my name on timesheet.

THe time sheet wont be open in either of them some will say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm a bit astounded by the inability to works out what time midnight on Wednesday is. :D

In fairness, 00.00 is midnight which is when Wednesday starts. I was being a bit obtuse, but it should be far clearer as to when they start

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Restrictions will be in place approx 38 hours from now.

It would be too dark to play anyway!

;)

And if clubs close, this might be one of the reasons behind it. Not that I'm condemning you. I'd do the same to be honest. I've played over the last few weeks with lads who have crossed county borders to play. Again, I don't judge them, I'd do the same.

Our timesheet was jammed at the weekend on both days. Absolutely jammed. And only 50% of the members reside in the county where the club is.

If the government aim is to restrict movement, you can understand why they'd close golf clubs even if golf itself is not a high risk activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Technically midnight is the following day so I understand the confusion. Should have said 23:59 Wednesday night.

I'm booked in for a round tomorrow. Expecting it to be my last until December as it's more than 5k from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

IF golf clubs are to remain open during this lockdown - I imagine it will return to casual golf only and back to 4 balls in 12/14 minute intervals.

with the lack of light you may find it hard to get out . . !

on a side note, if they close it will give golfers more time to get their head around the WHS and delay it's introduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

DeanAustin wrote: »
    And if clubs close, this might be one of the reasons behind it. Not that I'm condemning you. I'd do the same to be honest. I've played over the last few weeks with lads who have crossed county borders to play. Again, I don't judge them, I'd do the same.

Our timesheet was jammed at the weekend on both days. Absolutely jammed. And only 50% of the members reside in the county where the club is.

If the government aim is to restrict movement, you can understand why they'd close golf clubs even if golf itself is not a high risk activity.

My club has removed access to the BRS booking system for members outside the county but the timesheet is still rammed all weekend.

I'd be gutted if they close golf courses. It provides a great distraction for a few hours at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tescosfinest

With the huge amount of new golfers due to this pandemic hopefully in a few years to come we have some golfers on the world stage again because as it stands we only really have Lowry

With the huge amount of new golfers due to this pandemic hopefully in a few years to come we have some golfers on the world stage again because as it stands we only really have Lowry

We also have a World Number 5 and the Ryder Cup Captain to name a couple but lets not go down that road ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tescosfinest

We also have a World Number 5 and the Ryder Cup Captain to name a couple but lets not go down that road ;)

No, the moderates love that debate haha

• Advertisement

My club has removed access to the BRS booking system for members outside the county but the timesheet is still rammed all weekend.

I'd be gutted if they close golf courses. It provides a great distraction for a few hours at the weekend.

I’ll be gutted myself and I won’t necessarily agree with it but I could understand the logic if they do it. It’s a **** situation but it’s **** for the whole country.

Advertisement