Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hoboo wrote: »
    GAA isn't elite though.

Wrong.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Golfers using GAA as an example are barking up the wrong tree. Theres so few people playing GAA at the highest level to make it almost irrelevant, and even then half of them get knocked out each week.

On the other hand, horse racing is viewed as a safe sport as there can be distancing, non contact etc, yet it employs 14,000 people in Ireland and nobody is asking about those people being in a bubble. And theres a lot of the races in the likes of Roscommon or Ballinrobe that would be closer to a junior b club match than elite.

Golf should be pushing racing as our comparison. If they are safe, we are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Felexicon wrote: »
    With that username I'm not sure if this is serious or not.

Where’s the sarcasm emoji when you need it.

Inter county GAA is far more elite in standard than 99% of amateur golf. Maybe an argument could be made for senior scratch cup and upwards but no more than that. A 10 handicapper is probably equivalent to a Junior A or Intermediate club player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

quit the squabbling, none of it matters
    now what's the story with Golf at level 5?
    don't tell me they're still trying to work it out

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

quit the squabbling, none of it matters
    now what's the story with Golf at level 5?
    don't tell me they're still trying to work it out

We’ll squabble away if we want to be fair.

They’re still trying to work it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

We’ll squabble away if we want to be fair.

They’re still trying to work it out.

You could squabble about GAA on a GAA thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Can we not just agree that GAA at inter-county level is an elite sport please?

I am no fan of the GAA football but I can't deny the level of athleticism and fitness plus the amount of public interest.

Comparing golf is not helpful. Its just making noise in the thread.

Me: "oh, there is a new post in the thread, maybe someone has some insight... godammit, more GAA ranting"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

GAA at inter county level is elite

The issue is it’s not professional and as the Louth captain said they can’t go into a bubble like the paid professionals so they are going back to schools, hospitals, elderly parents etc after training and matches

wally79 wrote: »
    GAA at inter county level is elite

The issue is it’s not professional and as the Louth captain said they can’t go into a bubble like the paid professionals so they are going back to schools, hospitals, elderly parents etc after training and matches

Do professional players not have elderly parents/kids in school?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Quite why GAA is being bashed with impunity here is beyond me. There is almost the mindset that the 3rd pillar of the old Irish society (Other 2 being Fianna Fail and Catholic church) needs to be brought down. The societal good that brings far outweighs any negative aspects and far outweighs contributions from other sports in terms of what it brings to the community. At the highest level the fitness, power and speed would equal or surpass any professional sports people in the country.

• Advertisement

They get paid and can afford to go into bubbles with their teams as many have done. They don’t have to go back to the day job and can afford not to live with parents

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

I would say most professional footballers parents, elderly or not, do not live anywhere near them, even if the same country.

And for the other points he was clearly talking about employment.

Golf courses should remain open IMO with people adhering to the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

What about that Golf eh Lads?

wally79 wrote: »
    They get paid and can afford to go into bubbles with their teams as many have done. They don’t have to go back to the day job and can afford not to live with parents

Ok so all the elite GAA players are living with their parents yet all the boys playing league of Ireland football aren't? Big assumptions there.

Professional players can also be living at home, will have wifes/partners working in the community, can have have kids in school and don't spend all week in a bubble.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

How well you play a sport has nothing to do with it. A scratch golfer, inter county hurler or professional footballer is as vulnerable to Covid as anyone else.

"Elite" in this context simply means the number of players involved and therefore the scrutiny needed to check for infection and contacts. Those numbers and systems are manageable within tight groups but not among the wider sporting community.

Ok so all the elite GAA players are living with their parents yet all the boys playing league of Ireland football aren't? Big assumptions there.

Professional players can also be living at home, will have wifes/partners working in the community, can have have kids in school and don't spend all week in a bubble.

I’m just repeating what the Louth captain said. Is he qualified to speak on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I don't know if GAA players have the same level of testing that (for example) professional rugby players have. So that may be a difference here. But as First Up says, the numbers are manageable, their contacts can be controlled and (assuming it's roughly the same testing regime for all) regular testing will help reduce spread to a very small number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

For fck sake

There are multiple covid and GAA threads so do your nit picking in those.

All we want to know is can we play golf or not so lets leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Lads, ye look pathetic complaining about GAA players playing but we have no guidelines.

They are 2 different governs.. Really get a grip & move on from a few players playing inter county giving many many people some entertainment on a boring sunday.

GAA will have no affect on golf decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Surely the 5Km rule will rule out the vast majority from playing golf over the next 6 weeks.
    I know that the last time the 5 Km rule was introduced, a lot of golfers ignored it and travelled more than 5 Km to
    play golf.

Now that they are intending to introduce fines of up to €500 for breaking the 5Km rule, I think most golfers including
    myself will put the clubs away for 6 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Surely the 5Km rule will rule out the vast majority from playing golf over the next 6 weeks.
    I know that the last time the 5 Km rule was introduced, a lot of golfers ignored it and travelled more than 5 Km to
    play golf.

Now that they are intending to introduce fines of up to €500 for breaking the 5Km rule, I think most golfers including

If you were a member of Ballybunion you would have a handy excuse with the graveyard being just off the right fairway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

play golf.

I dont know. They have said fines will be a last resort. Presume the Gardai will just tell people to turn around. If this is the case a lot of people will take the chance with travelling outside of the 5km zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Felexicon

tonc76 wrote: »
    All we want to know is can we play golf or not so lets leave it at that

Well I already know I cant play golf. I just need to find out if I'm allowed go to a course to prove it to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I think the GUI need to get their finger out and make a statement one way or t’other! They have had long enough to think about it.
    As it stands I’m on a timesheet for tomorrow and I don’t even know if the course will be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I think the GUI need to get their finger out and make a statement one way or t’other! They have had long enough to think about it.
    As it stands I’m on a timesheet for tomorrow and I don’t even know if the course will be open.

You should let them know, they clearly don't realise how inconvenient this global pandemic is to your golf game.

The fact that it's going on so long would indicate that there's a protracted negotiation taking place. So whether that's to have any golf at all or some additional exceptions like competitions, inter-clubs or visitors is hard to say. I'd be giving them the time and space to get the best result for us anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The fact that it's going on so long would indicate that there's a protracted negotiation taking place. So whether that's to have any golf at all or some additional exceptions like competitions, inter-clubs or visitors is hard to say. I'd be giving them the time and space to get the best result for us anyway.

Not sure how they could do interclubs with the travel restriction. As much as some people might like to think unless you are a scratch golfer you are not elite

willabur wrote: »
    Not sure how they could do interclubs with the travel restriction. As much as some people might like to think unless you are a scratch golfer you are not elite
    Just an example. But to be fair, they're at the pointy end of these afaik and the numbers would be small.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

prawnsambo wrote: »

Im expecting its going to be club/county specific and thats why they are contacting clubs directly...

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Im expecting its going to be club/county specific and thats why they are contacting clubs directly...
    Could be. Hard to know really, but then again it could be clubs because bad news.

Advertisement