Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

The Mirror is reporting that they’re to close!

Though it’s the Mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

The description of golf in the Mirror is pure drivel, like wtf are they at.

"Pampered putters of the country", "game favoured by the wealthier in society", "golf has long had a bad reputation as being a game reserved for the privileged with racism and sexism rampant in clubs until very recently".- f--king stone age stuff.

Steaming with anger here !

Not a mention of the footballers drinking out of a cup because they "....finally bate that other shower from across the valley" in the Junior F championship decider.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Russman wrote: »

"Pampered putters of the country", "game favoured by the wealthier in society", "golf has long had a bad reputation as being a game reserved for the privileged with racism and sexism rampant in clubs until very recently".- f--king stone age stuff.

The Mirror?
    What did you expect?

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The Mirror?
    What did you expect?

Fair point. Still though, talk about stereotyping...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

If I am among the wealthier in society, then our economy is a lot worse than I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

Not a mention of the footballers drinking out of a cup because they "....finally bate that other shower from across the valley" in the Junior F championship decider.

Well if I should ever run out of loo roll-I now realise there's a ready replacement available

Looks like we are gone everyone :(

Confirmed to me by someone in the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Tennis is to stay open. Surely they could have done the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Tennis is to stay open. Surely they could have done the same here.

Link?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

The only reason golf will not be available is for some window dressing by the gubberment to appear in touch after the eejits in galway during the summer. Even though the golf was not the issue it was a feckin dinner.

No scientific or logical reason people should not be allowed to play golf in 150 acres outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

They have completely changed the article now. Must a few golfers high up in the Mirror!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

The only reason golf will not be available is for some window dressing by the gubberment to appear in touch after the eejits in galway during the summer. Even though the golf was not the issue it was a feckin dinner.

No scientific or logical reason people should not be allowed to play golf in 150 acres outside.

yes the optics of it from a political perspective were always going to work against us i feared

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The Mirror is an absolute rag, and no one should pay them any mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

GUI have had 2 days to prepare a statement on this and we find out through a headline on the Irish Mirror. Laughable. And whilst I agree, normally wouldn't pay much attention to that nonsense it does look like it has been confirmed by other sources within the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    yes the optics of it from a political perspective were always going to work against us i feared

And thats the real sad aspect of this, they are so clueless at every level and decisions are taken by people with no clue as to the impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭JP85

I think it's pure laziness by the government to not properly assess golf courses in terms of how little impact that it is having on the numbers. There is little or nothing to look forward to these days apart from getting out on the sunday morning, its going to make these dark, cold and miserable 6 weeks more difficult to bear with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Still no word on this ?
    Madness, they went through this already in the Spring.
    Surely there's nothing majorly new or different to be considered.
    Either close golf or keep it open it with a 5km restriction - simple choice - fcuk sake !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

frink wrote: »
    They have completely changed the article now. Must a few golfers high up in the Mirror!

Gary Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Still no word on this ?
    Madness, they went through this already in the Spring.
    Surely there's nothing majorly new or different to be considered.
    Either close golf or keep it open it with a 5km restriction - simple choice - fcuk sake !

they seem more intent on pushing out WHS feed than letting us know whether or not we can play golf!

Do they not realise that unless the courses are open.... the WHS means FA for now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I have little hope tbh. So far everything in our response to this has taught me that we are determined to learn nothing and just keep repeating the same thing over and over again.

Have a tee time at 5 for 11 holes and expect to be chipping in the back garden for the rest of the winter.

My strategy is when your expectations are low you can't be too disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

This decision might very well send me over the edge, which, I’m convinced, is exactly what they want

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

I wonder how many golfers are legitimately within 5km of their course anyway ?
    I'm goosed anyway at 18km away and I won't be chancing it, especially for winter golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Clearly a dressing room with 20 people in it sweating and panting is safer than a 50 yard wide fairway outdoors

I know there's always going to be elements of the restrictions that are unfair, its the very nature of them, but golf not being allowed is plain silly - lots of gain for seemingly very little risk.

You can understand if they want to keep 'everyone' at home, but keeping kids training going isn't doing that.

the silence from GUI is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

A joke of a country run by " dads army ".
    We are constantly been told how important mental positively is .
    What do they do .... Close golf courses / close gyms / close barbers and hairdressers .....
    They really are clueless !!!!!!
    These same people are expecting the public to go with them yet they continue to make stupid decisions .

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

So we can go walk in a park with dozens others but we can't go play golf which is basically a giant park, not even on our own? Memebership has to be questioned now, mine was due for renewal but why would some people join back up knowing if we go to L5 again we won't be able to play. This is madness!

• Advertisement

tbayers wrote: »
    So we can go walk in a park with dozens others but we can't go play golf which is basically a giant park, not even on our own? Memebership has to be questioned now, mine was due for renewal but why would some people join back up knowing if we go to L5 again we won't be able to play. This is madness!

I fear for a lot of clubs.
    Turn of the year would be the busiest time for renewals and there will be a lot questioning whether or not renewals will be worthwhile, especially for those who live a bit further or out of county.
    I will be seriously considering my own membership, not something I thought I would ever do, now 31 years a member and no wish to leave... but whats the point if I can't play golf there!

Advertisement