Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

tbayers wrote: »
    I think the point he is trying to make is two teams consisting of 30 players will be able to not only travel but actually come in close contact with each other. Yet we can't go for a game of golf! A total shambles!!

It's not a total shambles. Okay, the 30 lads can travel and come in close contact. I've got to assume, like the Premier League in England, that the testing regime will be strict. I know there were concerning noises from Louth over the weekend on that score. They have to get that right or else this can't be done safely.

But if they believe they can do GAA championships safely, they should do it because so many people will enjoy it. Personally, I won't as I don't follow the games but I can see why they allow inter county GAA but not golf.

It's fine to disagree with the decision, I know I do. But to label everything you don't agree with as a shambles or lacking sense really weakens your argument. If you can't see the logic in the other person's argument, you aren't looking hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Ah come on, there is logic. Probably a million people will watch GAA and enjoy it. It's a huge morale booster for anyone who follows GAA. So a million people or whatever enjoy it and you only have a few hundred/thousand moving around. The pay off is not the same for golf.

I don't like the decision, I don't agree with it but I see the logic.

Million People watching one Game ???? Seriously...

My objection is B & Q are open tomorrow.. Someone explain that. B & Q is inside, no contact tracing, physical transfer of items between bodies...

Compare that to Golf... Seriously..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Ah come on, there is logic. Probably a million people will watch GAA and enjoy it. It's a huge morale booster for anyone who follows GAA. So a million people or whatever enjoy it and you only have a few hundred/thousand moving around. The pay off is not the same for golf.

I don't like the decision, I don't agree with it but I see the logic.

Of course I can see some logic in it but I'm not sure I agree with it - We're allowing one sport (a contact sport) on the basis that it boosts morale. It's a very sentimental reason to allow something that has a high chance of increasing covid cases. Even just allow golfers to play solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

It's not a total shambles. Okay, the 30 lads can travel and come in close contact. I've got to assume, like the Premier League in England, that the testing regime will be strict. I know there were concerning noises from Louth over the weekend on that score. They have to get that right or else this can't be done safely.

But if they believe they can do GAA championships safely, they should do it because so many people will enjoy it. Personally, I won't as I don't follow the games but I can see why they allow inter county GAA but not golf.

It's fine to disagree with the decision, I know I do. But to label everything you don't agree with as a shambles or lacking sense really weakens your argument. If you can't see the logic in the other person's argument, you aren't looking hard enough.

Its an amateur sport, there is no testing. Just look at the Louth's (i think it was Louth) managers interview from last weekend. GAA have a better lobby, simple as that!

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Million People watching one Game ???? Seriously...

My objection is B & Q are open tomorrow.. Someone explain that. B & Q is inside, no contact tracing, physical transfer of items between bodies...

Compare that to Golf... Seriously..

Of course a million won't watch one game. But I'd imagine over the course of the championship, at least a million people will have watched some of it. I don't like GAA but if my county went far in the competition, even I'd take a look.

• Advertisement

tbayers wrote: »
    Its an amateur sport, there is no testing. Just look at the Louth's (i think it was Louth) managers interview from last weekend. GAA have a better lobby, simple as that!

If there is no testing, that's reckless on the government's/GAA's behalf. I suspect if they haven't already, they will have to implement a testing regime/system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Mr Mister wrote: »
    It will be more than 30.....there's subs, managers, physios, plus the bus driver. If the purpose is stopping the virus, I can't see how a million people watching it comes in to the equation, it should be solely down to risk level. Plus there certainly won't be a million people watching Louth vs Fermanagh in the Lory Meagher Cup this coming weekend

Exactly this. It's not just the games. It's the travelling, training, going in and out of dressing rooms, going to physios, going to different counties, stopping in shops, etc. And it's a contact sport. The spread of this is huge. It's level 5 - we're at the most severe level now, and big calls were made to help reduce the numbers but GAA was given an exception for pure sentimental, paddy-irish reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Mr Mister wrote: »
    It will be more than 30.....there's subs, managers, physios, plus the bus driver. If the purpose is stopping the virus, I can't see how a million people watching it comes in to the equation, it should be solely down to risk level. Plus there certainly won't be a million people watching Louth vs Fermanagh in the Lory Meagher Cup this coming weekend

Ah but thats elite level sport, so gets the nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

But if they believe they can do GAA championships safely, they should do it because so many people will enjoy it.

Us golfers believe that we can play our sport safely so we should do it because 10's of 100's of us who play can enjoy it.

I'll add to that, our spouses who stay at home will equally enjoy it while we get out of the house and from under their feet for a few hours!
    I can see why they allow inter county GAA but not golf.
    I can't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    Us golfers believe that we can play our sport safely so we should do it because 10's of 100's of us who play can enjoy it.

I'll add to that, our spouses who stay at home will equally enjoy it while we get out of the house and from under their feet for a few hours!

I can't

Haha I'll give you the second line there alright. Fair point :D

If you can't see the logic, you're blinded by your own bias. It's fine to disagree with the decision, I do, but to discount it as lacking sense or logic isn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

And the website just crashed....

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Dr Devious

5ollox!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

thats from the GUI - anything from government? ie what about non gui clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

So the North is open?
    ​This is for clubs in the Republic of Ireland

Statement from GUI and ILGU

4.45pm Wednesday 21st October 2020

Following intensive engagement over the past 48 hours, we have been informed this afternoon by Sport Ireland that, very regrettably golf clubs must close under the new level 5 restrictions.​

Essential course maintenance is permitted to continue under level 5. We have sought clarity on the issue as to whether ranges/practice facilities can remain open for exempted activities. We will update clubs on this as soon as possible.

thread title needs updating :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

Of course a million won't watch one game. But I'd imagine over the course of the championship, at least a million people will have watched some of it. I don't like GAA but if my county went far in the competition, even I'd take a look.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punditarena.com/gaa/kennedymarisa760/rte-viewing-figures-dublin-final/%3famp

The finals and occasional semi finals can top 1 million. The football final last year averaged 968k viewers and reached over a million during it.

I was reading that the super 8s averaged 344k per game last year. And to be honest, they wouldn't be the most interesting games in my view.

Cork vs limerick this weekend will get a few hundred thousand viewers anyway.

People can point to the smaller games and ignore the bigger ones if they want, but they're not really making much of a point of they do. In relation to the gaa, you're looking at whether the championship as a whole is justified this year. There's probably a couple thousand people involved in them this year. And over the weekends, between all the games you'll be into the high hundreds of thousands of viewers every weekend for a few weeks. That's the balance you're looking when thinking about whether it's worth it.

And when you look at it like that, you'd have to say comparing it to a Sunday fourball is meaningless. You're comparing apples and spanners. They have nothing to do with each other.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    So the North is open?

Utter disgrace....

Golf has been singled out... There is less risky than a walk the park considering there is contact tracing, etiquette and self policing...

How does the government expect us to support them when the make stupid decisions like this... This is just a erosion of trust...

Do they think we are stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Utter disgrace....

Golf has been singled out... There is less risky than a walk the park considering there is contact tracing, etiquette and self policing...

How does the government expect us to support them when the make stupid decisions like this... This is just a erosion of trust...

Do they think we are stupid?

In fairness with people going out and about while awaiting test results, they've every right to think people are stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Big Phil and his cronies wouldn't have helped this.

Can't understand it other than it being a decision with standing in solidarity with other sports. Closing a clubhouse, dressing rooms or bar I get, but the entire course?

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/punditarena.com/gaa/kennedymarisa760/rte-viewing-figures-dublin-final/%3famp

The finals and occasional semi finals can top 1 million. The football final last year averaged 968k viewers and reached over a million during it.

I was reading that the super 8s averaged 344k per game last year. And to be honest, they wouldn't be the most interesting games in my view.

Cork vs limerick this weekend will get a few hundred thousand viewers anyway.

People can point to the smaller games and ignore the bigger ones if they want, but they're not really making much of a point of they do. In relation to the gaa, you're looking at whether the championship as a whole is justified this year. There's probably a couple thousand people involved in them this year. And over the weekends, between all the games you'll be into the high hundreds of thousands of viewers every weekend for a few weeks. That's the balance you're looking when thinking about whether it's worth it.

And when you look at it like that, you'd have to say comparing it to a Sunday fourball is meaningless. You're comparing apples and spanners. They have nothing to do with each other.

Louth v Fermanagh in the Lory Meagher Cup (Hurling ) on 2pm on Saturday won't...

Golf should not be compared to GAA, it should be compared to a walk in the park... A walk in the park is of same or higher risk and has no contact tracing...

B & Q has no contact tracing and is inside...

Ah well, I suppose I'll make the pilgrimage so to B&Q over the next few days and pick up a bit of timber and get cracking on those shelves I've been putting off

Mushy wrote: »
    In fairness with people going out and about while awaiting test results, they've every right to think people are stupid!

Agreed some people are stupid... But they will now go to B&Q and walk in the Park instead...

This weekend in Galway the Prom is going to be packed while walking past an empty Golf Course... All the parks and beaches will have walkers with kids...

Hardware stores are already busy...

Louth v Fermanagh in the Lory Meagher Cup (Hurling ) on 2pm on Saturday won't...

Golf should not be compared to GAA, it should be compared to a walk in the park... A walk in the park is of same or higher risk and has no contact tracing...

B & Q has no contact tracing and is inside...

I'd imagine it's not about golf as an activity so much. It's to restrict people's movements because we all know that golfers would travel more than 5k to play. That won't really happen for a walk in the park.

The plan is to restrict movements. This helps achieve that aim. Let's see at the end of November if that helps reduce cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Agreed some people are stupid... But they will now go to B&Q and walk in the Park instead...

This weekend in Galway the Prom is going to be packed while walking past an empty Golf Course... All the parks and beaches will have walkers with kids...

Hardware stores are already busy...

Oh I fully agree, this closure is ridiculous.

Was at b and q myself today, there was a queue formed by 10.30. Ridiculous as itll still be open (I had good reason to go, need to get newborn into own room sooner rather than later).

I'd imagine it's not about golf as an activity so much. It's to restrict people's movements because we all know that golfers would travel more than 5k to play. That won't really happen for a walk in the park.

The plan is to restrict movements. This helps achieve that aim. Let's see at the end of November if that helps reduce cases.

Simple solution...

Members Only... Contact tracing in effect. The Club make it very clear to the members that if the Garda call they will give the names and addresses of all people on the premise at the time..

That is 5km sorted... Garda called to our course during last lockdown...

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

To think many were laughing at UK and US a few long months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Just in off the golf course to hear the news.

Disaster but not totally unexpected.

I live outside 5k radius so that softens the blow a little for me.

Mushy wrote: »
    Oh I fully agree, this closure is ridiculous.

Was at b and q myself today, there was a queue formed by 10.30. Ridiculous as itll still be open (I had good reason to go, need to get newborn into own room sooner rather than later).

Queues are building up in there... I brought my 3 year old (it is like a park indoors, we are very close)... Everyone has masks (Galway) but there was waiting and 3 year olds don't wait... Same in playgrounds and parks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

A bloody joke.

Advertisement