Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

benji79 wrote: »
    Worst thing they could do. Right or wrong decision regardless if you don’t follow it things will get a lot worse and the lockdown could be stretched into new year.

Go along and at least courses might be open for a few Xmas comps or something

The December weather has been decent last couple years so could be something to look forward to , make the best of it

That’s what was said the last time and everyone went along without a whimper even though it was as daft then as it is now. I wish them well. Probably back down once the Karen patrol in the media ruins them

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

That’s what was said the last time and everyone went along without a whimper even though it was as daft then as it is now. I wish them well. Probably back down once the Karen patrol in the media ruins them

Yes and last time everyone got back playing and then a few competitions were phased in. That’s best case scenario now too so go with it I feel ya only option

Don’t accept it and all you show is clubs and members can’t be trusted to follow guidelines and you prove the point that they’re fully correct to close everything down

Yes and last time everyone got back playing and then a few competitions were phased in. That’s best case scenario now too so go with it I feel ya only option

Don’t accept it and all you show is clubs and members can’t be trusted to follow guidelines and you prove the point that they’re fully correct to close everything down

They already showed they could be trusted it’s like trying to appease a psycho parent at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

They already showed they could be trusted it’s like trying to appease a psycho parent at this stage

I believe a lot of people showed they couldn’t be trusted. Friends of mine were travelling over 30km to play. They’re responsible people and were doing no harm as such but technically they weren’t following what was asked. And there were thousands more like them. As a result they were in places and interacting with people which wouldn’t have happened if guidelines was followed as it was laid out

I believe a lot of people showed they couldn’t be trusted. Friends of mine were travelling over 30km to play. They’re responsible people and were doing no harm as such but technically they weren’t following what was asked. And there were thousands more like them. As a result they were in places and interacting with people which wouldn’t have happened if guidelines was followed as it was laid out

And fat head from the EU, Brian Hayes and some gob****e from the Supreme Court couldn’t be trusted. Nothing to do with the golf clubs providing they could be trusted to provide safe excersise. And the Government had the Airports open in that last lockdown, I think that was hardly on golf courses or Irish players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Dare I say it... I will vote Sinn Fein next election....

I feel a bit dirty saying it... but this government are a disgusting disgrace..... more back bone in a squirrel

I thought Leo had some sense but jesus.

We cannot let the 3 stooges ruin our country for much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I feel a bit dirty saying it... but this government are a disgusting disgrace..... more back bone in a squirrel

I thought Leo had some sense but jesus.

We cannot let the 3 stooges ruin our country for much longer

Leo is very much out for himself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

At the moment the situation is....' I cant so why can you? '

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

Can anyone point out which law would be broken if a paid up member of a club situated less than 5k from his/her home played a game on their own or with one other person?

doublej wrote: »
    Can anyone point out which law would be broken if a paid up member of a club situated less than 5k from his/her home played a game on their own or with one other person?

Thats why the GUI needed to put legal pressure on, the squeaky wheel gets the grease in this country that's why kids are allowed do whatever they want because the parents went mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

There were people from Dublin playing in my club in another county last weekend. We've had problems with golf societies prominent in the media. Unfortunately golf got too high a profile for the wrong reasons. Not the fault of golf clubs, but people just were taking the p1ss. Politically toxic I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Now there's a thought. Sinn Fein running on a platform of granting golfers exemption from Covid restrictions.

That's sure to energise their base.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

First Up wrote: »
    Now there's a thought. Sinn Fein running on a platform of granting golfers exemption from Covid restrictions.

That's sure to energise their base.
    Ah sure doesn't Mary-Lou send her kids to a private school? They're getting quite comfortable are the Shinners. They'll be playing golf next.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Lads
    Just thinking out loud here. what if we ditched the clubs altogether for the next 6 weeks or so.
    im sure most of us have an aul hurl or a hockey stick lying around the gaff.
    individual training on the golf course?

if hockey is fine for individual training training, i really can't fathom why golf isn't.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Lads
    Just thinking out loud here. what if we ditched the clubs altogether for the next 6 weeks or so.

if hockey is fine for individual training training, i really can't fathom why golf isn't.

Hockey Ireland has more representation and juice than the GUI lol. What a ****ing joke

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Seve OB wrote: »
    Lads

Only kids can train like in the GAA. No adult outside of elite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Local Area Man

Hoboo wrote: »
    ...including a fresh registration beating the same drum...

Looking at the replies on this thread, I'm sorry I bothered.

Keano wrote: »

Wrong, look at the individual training.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Keano wrote: »

hockey have said individual training is allowed
    they have also said kids up to age 15 can train in pods

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Wrong, look at the individual training.

All their facilities are closed from level 3-5. So not like they can go to the hockey pitch and train.

Isn't that the same as me heading out onto the green in front of my house and hitting a few chips? No one is stopping me doing that.

• Advertisement

DeanAustin wrote: »
    All their facilities are closed from level 3-5. So not like they can go to the hockey pitch and train.

Isn't that the same as me heading out onto the green in front of my house and hitting a few chips? No one is stopping me doing that.

No they aren't they are open for games for the clubs (behind closed doors) Wtf is an elite hockey team anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

doublej wrote: »

Genuine question here, Would the clubs want that?

As in would it make economic sense for them to have to keep the course in playable condition, undertake sanitising routines, police the 5k limit and whatever else they need to do for the % of their members that live within 5k?

I’m sure there are some urban clubs where it would work but not sure nationwide how it would look.

No they aren't they are open for games for the clubs (behind closed doors) Wtf is an elite hockey team anyway.

The link you posted says no matches are allowed from levels 3-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lettuce97

For the people trying to compare to GAA, hockey, etc - would you honestly be placated if the GUI came out and said that school aged children and elite (eg West of Ireland, etc, level) could go ahead and play, but you still couldn't?

DeanAustin wrote: »
    The link you posted says no matches are allowed from levels 3-5.

Kids and Elite can do what they want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

I’m still not over it but at least I appear to have skipped the anger phase of grief

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lettuce97

lettuce97 wrote: »
    For the people trying to compare to GAA, hockey, etc - would you honestly be placated if the GUI came out and said that school aged children and elite (eg West of Ireland, etc, level) could go ahead and play, but you still couldn't?

That said, I've just seen on Tennis Ireland's twitter that outdoor tennis is allowed "for exercise purposes only". Hand me a pitchfork, I'm off to GUI HQ...

lettuce97 wrote: »
    That said, I've just seen on Tennis Ireland's twitter that outdoor tennis is allowed "for exercise purposes only". Hand me a pitchfork, I'm off to GUI HQ...

They are getting absolutely mullered on Twitter. Not exactly a dynamic organisation is it.

Kids and Elite can do what they want

Consistent with other similar sports so. Don't think I'll become an elite hockey player if I take it up now so I'm stuck chipping balls on the green outside my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I didn't agree with it in March and I obviously don't agree with it now.

Some people will try to find reason behind it. I think saying no golf will have any kind of impact on the covid spread is a long stretch. Reasons for this must be elsewhere. Someone will say I'm missing the bigger picture or so. Maybe I am.

I'm disappointed but not surprised. At all.

Advertisement