Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Consistent with other similar sports so. Don't think I'll become an elite hockey player if I take it up now so I'm stuck chipping balls on the green outside my house.

That's illegal though :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Wrong, look at the individual training.

I missed that. Very odd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

lettuce97 wrote: »
    That said, I've just seen on Tennis Ireland's twitter that outdoor tennis is allowed "for exercise purposes only". Hand me a pitchfork, I'm off to GUI HQ...

Just checked that and yes. Casual outdoor singles ok and doubles if partner are from the same household.

I don't want to be the guy who says 'why can they and we can't' but that is a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

I'm sure they'd be quick to change restrictions if people started playing golf on GAA pitches and in public parks :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Tennis Ireland did what the GUI should have done (i.e. ignored Sport Ireland and looked at the restrictions themselves)! See below...

https://www.tennisireland.ie/2020/10/21/statement-from-the-board-of-tennis-ireland/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Neewollah

https://twitter.com/Tennis_Ireland/status/1319024701793030148?s=08

Tennis Ireland Statement. Basically nothing clear in guidelines to say outdoor tennis should stop so they are going to keep things going for outdoors courts and members within 5KM. Cannot see how golf is not gone the same route.

So you can go to Donabate GC and play Tennis in a singles match and not allowed even on the practice range with the golf sticks. Might dust off the old racket tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Neewollah wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Tennis_Ireland/status/1319024701793030148?s=08

Tennis Ireland Statement. Basically nothing clear in guidelines to say outdoor tennis should stop so they are going to keep things going for outdoors courts and members within 5KM. Cannot see how golf is not gone the same route.
    Probably worth finding out how much Tennis Ireland gets from Sport Ireland and likewise with golf. My experience of Sport Ireland is that they hold the money over your head to get you to do whatever it is they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Neewollah

2019 Sport Ireland funding figures. Tennis 425K, Golf 300K

Neewollah wrote: »
    2019 Sport Ireland funding figures. Tennis 425K, Golf 300K

Apart from anything else this is annoying because we are genetic cabbages at tennis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

That doesn't excuse the fact they made the case after the fact. The case should have been made early and often. The Government only listens to the loudest complainers. The sacrifice made in the first lockdown should have been enough and shown to be enough long before the obvious second lockdown was going to hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

First Up wrote: »
    Now there's a thought. Sinn Fein running on a platform of granting golfers exemption from Covid restrictions.

That's sure to energise their base.

It just shows how far invested the main politcal parties are in this now.

Pathetic .

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

prawnsambo wrote:
    Ah sure doesn't Mary-Lou send her kids to a private school? They're getting quite comfortable are the Shinners. They'll be playing golf next.

She dose'nt. But don't let the truth get in your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

As a member of a club, I could be considered to own a share of the course; certainly those members of courses sold to developers were considered shareholders and shared windfall.
    Why cant I play on my own land if I live within 5k?

I’m not asking the club to sanitise or do any work on the course that wouldn’t already be done,

What law is being broken?

doublej wrote: »
    As a member of a club, I could be considered to own a share of the course; certainly those members of courses sold to developers were considered shareholders and shared windfall.
    Why cant I play on my own land if I live within 5k?

I’m not asking the club to sanitise or do any work on the course that wouldn’t already be done,

What law is being broken?

How many Barristers are part of the GUI and how many have weighed in on the legal aspects of this? They just don't want to rock the boat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

As the government permits sporting activity for children of school going age in grouos of up to 15 in a non contact session, I take it golf courses will be available to junior members to continue practicing.......

TCM wrote: »
    She dose'nt. But don't let the truth get in your way.
    She does. She has a son in Belvedere College. He was on a school skiing trip in Italy and they all had to isolate when he came back because of a case of Covid in the group. She herself went to Notre Dame in Churchtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jams100

https://www.change.org/p/sports-ireland-open-golf-courses-in-level-5-restrictions?http://chng.it/yMDz2MKwSJrecruiter=478621950&recruited_by_id=5152fc20-c6c8-11e5-9c8c-676487f7214e&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=petition_dashboard

This one has more signatures

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

prawnsambo wrote: »
    She does. She has a son in Belvedere College. He was on a school skiing trip in Italy and they all had to isolate when he came back because of a case of Covid in the group. She herself went to Notre Dame in Churchtown.

Don’t believe you should be posting about people’s kids, but that’s not true anyway. Why you would post about where someone sends their kids to school on a golf forum thread I’ve no idea. What’s wrong with people?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

HighLine wrote: »
    Tennis Ireland did what the GUI should have done (i.e. ignored Sport Ireland and looked at the restrictions themselves)! See below...

https://www.tennisireland.ie/2020/10/21/statement-from-the-board-of-tennis-ireland/

They’ll likely get very clear clarification in the morning, along with a severe slap on the wrist and warning re funding I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'm still very fragile mentally after the last lockdown but golf was helping me get back to myself. I just really didnt need this

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jams100

Rikand wrote: »
    I'm still very fragile mentally after the last lockdown but golf was helping me get back to myself. I just really didnt need this

A joke, hopefully people remember this when going to the polls in a year or two or whenever. Our country now seems to be run by nphet

jams100 wrote: »
    A joke, hopefully people remember this when going to the polls in a year or two or whenever. Our country now seems to be run by nphet
    You'd prefer us to be more like America and completely ignore epidemiological advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

You'd prefer us to be more like America and completely ignore epidemiological advice?

But tennis clubs can?

Hoboo wrote: »
    But tennis clubs can?
    We don't know if they can or are ignoring advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

We don't know if they can or are ignoring advice.

I'd call it being proactive and interpreting and working within the official guidelines and advice, so they're not ignoring it. They've planted a flag anyhow and made it official with their announcement, hopefully it might help the golf case.

I actually don't mind either way, I've a wee gym and a dog, and the course needs a rest. I feel sorry for the lads in apartments, and the older lads who live for a Wednesday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Clubs should have been able to stay open for members only. Its a complete joke. I can travel as far as like to pickup a takeout food order.

Proshop/clubhouse/restaurant closed.
    Members only bookings and has to be over phone/online
    No comps
    Spaced out teetimes

If I was a member of a club I'd feel robbed personally.

Advertisement