Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

our 4 ball are share owners within 5km

We are going for a walk on our property

Then ordering food from the club house for takeout.

We will be carefull not to swing anything that looks like a golf club in case we catch anything

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Its a complete joke. I can travel as far as like to pickup a takeout food order.

Do tell us how your conversation about that at a Garda checkpoint goes.

celtic_oz wrote: »
    our 4 ball are share owners within 5km

We are going for a walk on our property

Then ordering food from the club house for takeout.

We will be carefull not to swing anything that looks like a golf club in case we catch anything

Very nice of the kitchen to stay open for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

First Up wrote: »
    Very nice of the kitchen to stay open for you.

Its a restaurant also allowed to do take out.

Dont worry they wont swing any clubs in the restaurant and infect everyone

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

wally79 wrote: »
    Genuine question here, Would the clubs want that?

As in would it make economic sense for them to have to keep the course in playable condition, undertake sanitising routines, police the 5k limit and whatever else they need to do for the % of their members that live within 5k?

I’m sure there are some urban clubs where it would work but not sure nationwide how it would look.

For a members club it costs no more to prepare the course for 6 hours of 4-balls than for 1 golfer per day. You paid your money at the start of the year so whether you play everyday or never makes no odds.

• Advertisement

This thread is turning into a bad After Hours thread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Comes across as an apologist for GUI/ILGU and effectively saying that this is a political decision rather than practical. It's just the same story from earlier this year, it'll look bad for golf if we're allowed stay open during level 5 even though all the guidelines are followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

rant, rant rant .... unfair, disgraceful, stupid, GUI no balls... grrrr
    /rant

Tennis, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

GreeBo wrote: »
    This thread is turning into a bad After Hours thread :(

Agree. tough read through it this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

For a members club it costs no more to prepare the course for 6 hours of 4-balls than for 1 golfer per day. You paid your money at the start of the year so whether you play everyday or never makes no odds.

Oh I know in normal times that’s true but with some people talking about not renewing wouldn’t a club be better to manage costs now when the majority can’t play in case there is a revenue issue next year

Edit: I mean if golf was allowed within the 5k

• Advertisement

I'd rephrase that as it costs no less to prepare a course for one golfer per day than it does to have 6 hours of four balls. If you know an accountant who can balance the books on that, then good luck.

Maybe the decision to close courses was taken by the GUI/ILGU but most courses would have decided to do that themselves.

celtic_oz wrote: »
    Its a restaurant also allowed to do take out.

:rolleyes:

Great if they have enough potential customers within 5k to make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Do tell us how your conversation about that at a Garda checkpoint goes.

You can travel for food. Do you think everyone lives within 5km of a supermarket?

You can travel for food. Do you think everyone lives within 5km of a supermarket?

I thought you were picking up a take out. Better get your story straight before you hit that checkpoint.

I thought you were picking up a take out. Better get your story straight before you hit that checkpoint.

Falls under the same guidelines. I'm not sure if you're looking to be informed or just being deliberately obtuse.

I'd rephrase that as it costs no less to prepare a course for one golfer per day than it does to have 6 hours of four balls. If you know an accountant who can balance the books on that, then good luck.

I think you are assuming that the 6 hours of 4 balls are greenfees or something.

I'm talking about members clubs, everyone has paid up in Jan whether they play or not. It doesn't impact your revenue one iota.

Falls under the same guidelines. I'm not sure if you're looking to be informed or just being deliberately obtuse.

If you live more than 5k from a supermarket, then show proof of address and on you go. The gardai will know the local geography.

If you can persuade them that you need to go more than 5k to collect a takeout or will otherwise starve, then you deserve all the prawn crackers you can eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

I think it’s an interpretation difference of the regulations

“For food shopping” I would have interpreted as going to Tesco or wherever but not a takeaway. But I can see how you interpret it that way and may use that myself

wally79 wrote: »
    Oh I know in normal times that’s true but with some people talking about not renewing wouldn’t a club be better to manage costs now when the majority can’t play in case there is a revenue issue next year

Edit: I mean if golf was allowed within the 5k

Yeah I get that, I would just worry about attracting new members in (hopefully!) Jan with a course that hasnt been well maintained over the winter.

Competition will be fierce as usual, so its a sophies choice between cutting costs so you survive the winter vs making sure you are attractive after the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Wrong, look at the individual training.
    No they aren't they are open for games for the clubs (behind closed doors) Wtf is an elite hockey team anyway.

I play hockey as well. We cannot train. All matches cancelled.

Elite Hockey refers to the National Teams that are allowed to continue training ahead of the World Cup & Olympic qualifiers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

If you live more than 5k from a supermarket, then show proof of address and on you go. The gardai will know the local geography.

If you can persuade them that you need to go more than 5k to collect a takeout or will otherwise starve, then you deserve all the prawn crackers you can eat.

Takeaway food is exempt from the 5KM restriction

https://twitter.com/adriancummins/status/1318949755037339648?s=20

GreeBo wrote:
    I'm talking about members clubs, everyone has paid up in Jan whether they play or not. It doesn't impact your revenue one iota.

Green fees, guests and societies are an important part of some (many) clubs' income.

Are you seriously suggesting clubs should continue to pay full maintenance costs for a handful of golfers? Do you expect the pro shop and clubhouse to be fully open too?

wally79 wrote:
    “For food shopping†I would have interpreted as going to Tesco or wherever but not a takeaway. But I can see how you interpret it that way and may use that myself

Good luck with that.

Takeaway food is exempt from the 5KM restriction

Do you get all your information from Twitter?

Good luck with that.

See my post above, has been confirmed takeaway is exempt. It would have to be to be fair, my parents nearest takeaway would be 10-15km away and I'm sure there are those in more rural locations who'd be even further away. Would be unfair to allow those in urban areas continue to have a bit of normality while those in rural areas can't. Would imagine it would be as simple as showing guard email confirmation from just eat or whatever the case may be.

Can you share your info link with us? You seem to know more than the rest of us.

:D good that you checked the source anyway, that "guy from twitter" is the CEO of the Restaurants Association of Ireland.

See my post above, has been confirmed takeaway is exempt. It would have to be to be fair, my parents nearest takeaway would be 10-15km away and I'm sure there are those in more rural locations who'd be even further away. Would be unfair to allow those in urban areas continue to have a bit of normality while those in rural areas can't. Would imagine it would be as simple as showing guard email confirmation from just eat or whatever the case may be.

No it has not been confirmed. If you looked at the official information (instead of someone from the restaurants association on Twitter) you would see that LIMITED takeaway and food delivery is allowed.

That means you have to show it is necessary. If you can persuade a garda that it is, fine - but don't expect to be waved through a checkpoint in Stillorgan because you say your favourite chipper is in Bray.

No it has not been confirmed. If you looked at the official information (instead of someone from the restaurants association on Twitter) you would see that LIMITED takeaway and food delivery is allowed.

That means you have to show it is necessary. If you can persuade a garda that it is, fine - but don't expect to be waved through a checkpoint in Stillorgan because you say your favourite chipper is in Bray.

Clearly someone in Dublin driving to Bray is going to be turned back and rightly so for taking the absolute piss. However anyone in rural Ireland who's nearest takeaway is outside 5km away should have no issues, which is the point that was being made.

• Advertisement

So what you're saying is, your interpretation of these ambiguous guidelines is correct and everyone else's is wrong.

Leaving your county as an example is also a bit disingenuous of you but I'd expect nothing less given your posting style on the topic.

Advertisement