Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Clearly someone in Dublin driving to Bray is going to be turned back and rightly so for taking the absolute piss. However anyone in rural Ireland who's nearest takeaway is outside 5km away should have no issues, which is the point that was being made.

I think the point you are missing is that the onus is one you to justify the journey, not on the garda to disprove it.

Making up any old excuse won't be enough. You will have to prove it.

So what you're saying is, your interpretation of these ambiguous guidelines is correct and everyone else's is wrong.

I'm saying that its the gardai's interpretation that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

First Up wrote: »
    I'm saying that its the gardai's interpretation that matters.

That’s tyrannical, the Gardai should follow the law, not what they think the law is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Would imagine it would be as simple as showing guard email confirmation from just eat or whatever the case may be.
    I think the point you are missing is that the onus is one you to justify the journey, not on the garda to disprove it.

Making up any old excuse won't be enough. You will have to prove it.

See my previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

It must be some takeaway if it's worth all this hassle

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Leaving your county as an example is also a bit disingenuous of you but I'd expect nothing less given your posting style on the topic.

Thanks for the compliment.

I'm as piss*d off about not playing as everyone else. I also know that one of the reasons I can't play is because clowns have been breaking and abusing the travel and other restrictions so much that Level 3 wasn't enough to prevent a thousand new cases a day.

That’s tyrannical, the Gardai should follow the law, not what they think the law is

They are, and they obviously understand it better than you.

I'm as piss*d off about not playing as everyone else. I also know that one of the reasons I can't play is because clowns have been breaking and abusing the travel and other restrictions so much that Level 3 wasn't enough to prevent a thousand new cases a day.

That’s not the reason it’s because parents want kids and students back in school. And rightly so, blaming the people is a joke, the Government have had no plan, and to cover that up the destroy the economy with a second lockdown. They are to blame solely, I’m not going to clap along as ten years of austerity and suicide are told are good for us.

It must be some takeaway if it's worth all this hassle

Especially when a €100 fine is added to price of the chips.

• Advertisement

That’s not the reason it’s because parents want kids and students back in school. And rightly so, blaming the people is a joke, the Government have had no plan, and to cover that up the destroy the economy with a second lockdown. They are to blame solely, I’m not going to clap along as ten years of austerity and suicide are told are good for us.

Total boll*x. The virus is spread by peoples' behaviour. Nothing else.

Total boll*x. The virus is spread by peoples' behaviour. Nothing else.

The virus always spread in households and never decreases by anywhere near enough in a lockdown. Kids and students are the reason.There will be another lockdown as a result whether people lie down and take the country being destroyed the next time is the only question

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Why are we going around blaming people? It's a crappy situation but it's a government trying to manage a virus which is a fairly exceptional event. Every government in the world pretty much, certainly every government in Europe, is struggling with this pandemic and having to react to changing circumstances.

Yes, our lives are being made a bit sh1ttier. No one likes it but it doesn't mean there has to be a scapegoat/bogeyman. It's a freak event.

The selfishness and immaturity being displayed throughout this sorry saga is illuminating.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Why are we going around blaming people? It's a crappy situation but it's a government trying to manage a virus which is a fairly exceptional event. Every government in the world pretty much, certainly every government in Europe, is struggling with this pandemic and having to react to changing circumstances.

Yes, our lives are being made a bit sh1ttier. No one likes it but it doesn't mean there has to be a scapegoat/bogeyman. It's a freak event.

The selfishness and immaturity being displayed throughout this sorry saga is illuminating.

There hasn’t been selfishness the island is about as docile a bunch of people on earth. There’s been bad policy that will cost us billions and has wrecked the economy for years to come. I guess I’m just ungrateful for that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The only reason we're having this back and forth is because you condescendingly quoted the part of my post that said I could travel outside 5km for takeout food.

Which is correct. Regardless of whether you agree with that or not. I could care less for your input or opinion on anything else.

The virus always spread in households and never decreases by anywhere near enough in a lockdown. Kids and students are the reason.There will be another lockdown as a result whether people lie down and take the country being destroyed the next time is the only question

Would you give Tony Holohan a call and put him straight? The science, tracing data and analysis at his disposal is obviously nothing compared to your gut feeling.

Would you give Tony Holohan a call and put him straight? The science, tracing data and analysis at his disposal is obviously nothing compared to your gut feeling.

The science is clear, the WHO even said so. They also said lockdowns were only to be used in a last resort. Ask Tony the cost of the lockdown on no virus related medical issues or social issues. Ask him about how much it costs the nation over ten years. There is a reason Tony isn’t the leader of the country, he had a limited scope

Which is correct. Regardless of whether you agree with that or not. I could care less for your input or opinion on anything else.

I'm not offering opinions. I'm quoting the government directives. You might look them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

There hasn’t been selfishness the island is about as docile a bunch of people on earth. There’s been bad policy that will cost us billions and has wrecked the economy for years to come. I guess I’m just ungrateful for that

There is no good policy available to the government for this situation. They have a choice to ruin the economy or let vulnerable people die or find a balance between the two. Without a vaccine, that's their choice. For all the armchair experts, there is no alternative course of action that won't result in either economic ruin, deaths or a mix of the two.

It's sh!t but without a vaccine or the virus burning itself out, it's what we are stuck with.

I don't agree with a lot of the decisions the government have made, including the decision to close golf courses, but I appreciate that them and NPHET are better informed to make those decisions than me. There is no sinister, ulterior motive here, they're just trying to manage a pandemic as best they can.

We will be indebted for billions but so will every other country in the world.

I'm not offering opinions. I'm quoting the government directives. You might look them up.

You've quoted nothing and offered only opinion. Post up the link it so I can avoid a fine please.

• Advertisement

The science is clear, the WHO even said so. They also said lockdowns were only to be used in a last resort. Ask Tony the cost of the lockdown on no virus related medical issues or social issues. Ask him about how much it costs the nation over ten years. There is a reason Tony isn’t the leader of the country, he had a limited scope

Where in the science does it say students and kids are to blame? (Some students probably are, but not while in school).

Did I miss your formula for dealing with the virus?

You've quoted nothing and offered only opinion. Post up the link it so I can avoid a fine please.

https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/c36c85-covid-19-coronavirus/

Where in the science does it say students and kids are to blame? (Some students probably are, but not while in school).

Did I miss your formula for dealing with the virus?

I already said student and children should be in school, they aren’t to blame. The increase in the r number is almost totally to do with it however. When you lockdown households the virus doesn’t decrease to anywhere near the number desired because homes are where it spreads. It’s too late when the virus is in the homes a lockdown is not going to stop it by enough

If I asked for a link to a specific golf club would you post a link to halpennygolf.com?

I doubt it but then I know you can't link to where it says I can't travel outside 5km for takeaway because it doesn't say it anywhere and I can.

I mean we're on an anonymous message board, if you can't say mea culpa here I'd pity your partner.

I already said student and children should be in school, they aren’t to blame. The increase in the r number is almost totally to do with it however. When you lockdown households the virus doesn’t decrease to anywhere near the number desired because homes are where it spreads. It’s too late when the virus is in the homes a lockdown is not going to stop it by enough

You also said this:
    "The virus always spread in households and never decreases by anywhere near enough in a lockdown. Kids and students are the reason."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Anyway...

What do ye all think? Will we be back after 6 weeks? Earlier? Later? And will we have to do the whole 14 minute 2 balls for 3 weeks, then 12 minutes, then whatever yadeeda thing again?

If I asked for a link to a specific golf club would you post a link to halpennygolf.com?
    Your point eludes me. You asked for a link to the actual directives which I gave you.
    I doubt it but then I know you can't link to where it says I can't travel outside 5km for takeaway because it doesn't say it anywhere and I can.

Does the word "essential" feature in your vocabulary?

You say you can; you might find out if a garda agrees with you

Your point eludes me. You asked for a link to the actual directives which I gave you.

Does the word "essential" feature in your vocabulary?

You say you can; you might find out if a garda agrees with you

You're making very little sense. Since when has any Restaurant or chipper/Chinese meal been essential?

They've been allowed to continue to offer these services, the public are allowed to avail of these services and you are not restricted to 5km rule for these services.

Thats my point. Now point me to the link that disputes the above as you're under the assumption we cannot avail of these services outside of 5km of our homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyway...

What do ye all think? Will we be back after 6 weeks? Earlier? Later? And will we have to do the whole 14 minute 2 balls for 3 weeks, then 12 minutes, then whatever yadeeda thing again?

I'm guessing no more competitive play this year if golf does reopen in December. Just have to hope the daily cases decrease massively over the next 6 weeks

• Advertisement

They've been allowed to continue to offer these services, the public are allowed to avail of these services and you are not restricted to 5km rule for these services.

I'll leave that decision to the garda who flags you down. You may think your dinner is essential but the garda may not agree it is essential you go further than 5k to get it.

Advertisement