Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Anyway...

What do ye all think? Will we be back after 6 weeks? Earlier? Later? And will we have to do the whole 14 minute 2 balls for 3 weeks, then 12 minutes, then whatever yadeeda thing again?

Would be surprised if we are back before january, if the weather takes a turn for the chilly will put the clubs into hibernation.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Tennis gone now too.
    It’s more likely things will continue to be cancelled than reopened until we see a big drop in numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

First Up wrote: »
    I'll leave that decision to the garda who flags you down. You may think your dinner is essential but the garda may not agree it is essential you go further than 5k to get it.

I'll leave it there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

You also said this:
    "The virus always spread in households and never decreases by anywhere near enough in a lockdown. Kids and students are the reason."

Yes that’s where it’s getting into the households, the schools and Unis

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Green fees, guests and societies are an important part of some (many) clubs' income.

Are you seriously suggesting clubs should continue to pay full maintenance costs for a handful of golfers? Do you expect the pro shop and clubhouse to be fully open too?

Yeah they are, but we are talking about lockdown with no visitors here...

Perhaps members constitute a handful in your club, but I'd think in most members clubs members make up more golfers than visitors.

No I wouldnt expect the Pro Shop to be open in a lockdown...why would I?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »

Perhaps members constitute a handful in your club, but I'd think in most members clubs members make up more golfers than visitors.
    I think that may be true of some golf clubs, but there are many that don't have enough members or a high enough sub for that to be true. A lot of clubs around the country would have membership in the low hundreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

No I wouldnt expect the Pro Shop to be open in a lockdown...why would I?:confused:

Its an academic discussion as the decision to close has been made. We have plenty of members but I don't think paying your sub entitles you to full service, no matter what. Course maintenance is labour intensive and expensive. Keeping a course operational for the small percentage of members who can use it makes no sense and is unreasonable to expect the club to provide. Do the green keepers live within 5k and if not, is maintaining a barely used golf course justification for them to go further?

We can argue all we want about the health and safety aspects of golf but this is essentially about the travel limit as a defence against an out of control epidemic. Staying open for a handful and - worse - staying open so that people can defy the law to get there is not justified and I'm happy that Golf Ireland stepped in.

Right I'm out....

Lads,

Please don't spend the next 6 weeks or however long going round and round rehashing the same argument. There is a real world out there. Get out and enjoy it (within 5K). Your brain and body will thank you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

First sensible thing that has been written for a few pages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Exactly wrote: »
    Right I'm out....

Lads,

Please don't spend the next 6 weeks or however long going round and round rehashing the same argument. There is a real world out there. Get out and enjoy it (within 5K). Your brain and body will thank you for it.

You are absolutely right but for the sake of maintaining our sanity there is no harm in a bit of ‘howling at the wind’ now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Lads, was looking for a bit of help. I bought a practice net on wish during the last lockdown. Took an age to deliver but it's actually quite okay. Recently floored the attic and have a bit of space so want to put it up there. However it uses pins that you drive into the earth to hold it down. Any ideas on what I could do. Was thinking cement blocks at the 4 corners but not sure if it'd work. I have a little mat with half rough grass/half fairway grass, with the rubber tees so I can hit anyway. Any help would be appreciated. Random post I know, makes a change from the last few pages anyway!

macslash wrote: »
    Lads, was looking for a bit of help. I bought a practice net on wish during the last lockdown. Took an age to deliver but it's actually quite okay. Recently floored the attic and have a bit of space so want to put it up there. However it uses pins that you drive into the earth to hold it down. Any ideas on what I could do. Was thinking cement blocks at the 4 corners but not sure if it'd work. I have a little mat with half rough grass/half fairway grass, with the rubber tees so I can hit anyway. Any help would be appreciated. Random post I know, makes a change from the last few pages anyway!
    Could you drill the frame and screw it to the floor?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Could you drill the frame and screw it to the floor?

I could do. But I don't want it there long term and I was hoping I could avoid that. I suppose it might be the only option though

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Sand bags... I wouldn't fancy a ricochet from a cement block.

I could do. But I don't want it there long term and I was hoping I could avoid that. I suppose it might be the only option though
    Screws can be unscrewed. Use a wood filler on the holes. It's the most sensible solution and also the most sturdy.

It won't need that much to hold it down, even a couple of pillows should do it.
    Is there anything behind you that you could tie it to?
    All you need is to stop it moving away from you.

Wouldn't be able to tie it to anything really unfortunately. Ya I think the screws are the best shout. Thanks for the help lads.

Why not. Anything else is a waste.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I think that may be true of some golf clubs, but there are many that don't have enough members or a high enough sub for that to be true. A lot of clubs around the country would have membership in the low hundreds.
    Its an academic discussion as the decision to close has been made. We have plenty of members but I don't think paying your sub entitles you to full service, no matter what. Course maintenance is labour intensive and expensive. Keeping a course operational for the small percentage of members who can use it makes no sense and is unreasonable to expect the club to provide. Do the green keepers live within 5k and if not, is maintaining a barely used golf course justification for them to go further?

We can argue all we want about the health and safety aspects of golf but this is essentially about the travel limit as a defence against an out of control epidemic. Staying open for a handful and - worse - staying open so that people can defy the law to get there is not justified and I'm happy that Golf Ireland stepped in.

My point was less that it should be maintained if only a few people playing (during the last lockdown we have full timesheets everyday, so why would you not maintain the course?) but more that if you dont do all the stuff you normally do over the off season, its going to be harder to keep/attract members/greenfees when lockdown ends.

If maintaining the course is justified then its justified, irrespective of how used the course is.

Wouldn't be able to tie it to anything really unfortunately. Ya I think the screws are the best shout. Thanks for the help lads.

Tie it to a concrete block that is behind you, anything in front of you is asking for trouble.

• Advertisement

Tie it to a concrete block that is behind you, anything in front of you is asking for trouble.

Another good shout, thanks. Will try a few things tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Exactly wrote: »
    Right I'm out....

Lads,

Time to crack open the PS4 again...

New "The Golf Club 2k21" game out...

Has anyone played it, I have the 2019 and it is a bit of a life saver on Saturday nights. A few beers and a bit of slagging...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Time to crack open the PS4 again...

New "The Golf Club 2k21" game out...

Has anyone played it, I have the 2019 and it is a bit of a life saver on Saturday nights. A few beers and a bit of slagging...

Yeah I have it on PC, I skipped 2019 but had the previous version. I find it a lot more playable now than before, its a fun game to play on the pro/pro-am difficulties but not without its faults either. The PGA Tour mode is good, especially when its a real event like Genesis invitational of Valspar but the majors are fairly dull in comparison, no real sense of occasion. The other thing is you are stuck with the courses chosen by HB so you can't add Augusta or St. Andrews for the Open, things like that take away from it. Once I finish this season of the tour I doubt I'll go back.

Theres some fantastic versions of Irish courses available, Lahinch, Royal County Down, Tralee and many more which are good fun to play and pretty close to the real deal IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Yeah I have it on PC, I skipped 2019 but had the previous version. I find it a lot more playable now than before, its a fun game to play on the pro/pro-am difficulties but not without its faults either. The PGA Tour mode is good, especially when its a real event like Genesis invitational of Valspar but the majors are fairly dull in comparison, no real sense of occasion. The other thing is you are stuck with the courses chosen by HB so you can't add Augusta or St. Andrews for the Open, things like that take away from it. Once I finish this season of the tour I doubt I'll go back.

Theres some fantastic versions of Irish courses available, Lahinch, Royal County Down, Tralee and many more which are good fun to play and pretty close to the real deal IMO.

I had the 2019 version during the last lockdown and never went to the career thing...

Multiplayer on various courses (Tralee is excellent), the lads got PS4 and it was the best alternative we had... Beer and roaring added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

A Mr.David Curran from Knocknacarra ,Co.Galway produced a wizard pun in today's IT letters column ....( calling for the imposition) of
    Level Fore !

Disgusted I didn't think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

CowboyTed wrote: »
    I had the 2019 version during the last lockdown and never went to the career thing...

Multiplayer on various courses (Tralee is excellent), the lads got PS4 and it was the best alternative we had... Beer and roaring added

Is there any decent golf game for the Xbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Is there any decent golf game for the Xbox?

Same game is on Xbox. PGA 2K1 is the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tescosfinest

I see Carr golf have petitions out on social media for the return of golf, they think they own golf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I see Carr golf have petitions out on social media for the return of golf, they think they own golf

€€€£££££€€€€€€££££

They'll ram the courses with societies and visitors before members get tee times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Good luck to them getting golfers exempted from the 5k limit.

Advertisement