Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

I see Carr golf have petitions out on social media for the return of golf, they think they own golf

Every cloud and all that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

macslash wrote: »
    Lads, was looking for a bit of help. I bought a practice net on wish during the last lockdown. Took an age to deliver but it's actually quite okay. Recently floored the attic and have a bit of space so want to put it up there. However it uses pins that you drive into the earth to hold it down. Any ideas on what I could do. Was thinking cement blocks at the 4 corners but not sure if it'd work. I have a little mat with half rough grass/half fairway grass, with the rubber tees so I can hit anyway. Any help would be appreciated. Random post I know, makes a change from the last few pages anyway!

[IMG][/img]IMG-20201026-125629.jpg

End result lads. Can't do a full back swing with the rafters and I didn't need to screw it down in the end. Still it's grand for what it is. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

End result lads. Can't do a full back swing with the rafters and I didn't need to screw it down in the end. Still it's grand for what it is. Thanks again

Surely the roof would be ok without a few of the rafters :)

I bought some of this, it's very cheap and quick delivery but I wouldn't hit off it... I just got it to finish off my setup.
    https://www.kukoonrugs.com/realistic-affordable-artificial-grass-park

PARlance wrote: »
    Surely the roof would be ok without a few of the rafters :)

I bought some of this, it's very cheap and quick delivery but I wouldn't hit off it... I just got it to finish off my setup.
    https://www.kukoonrugs.com/realistic-affordable-artificial-grass-park

Ha!

It's grand. Can nearly get it but I'd be afraid I'd damage the driver head. I have a little artificial patch. You can see it in front of the net above. One side is fairway short with a hole for a rubber tee, and the other is rougher. Works grand.

Ha!

It's grand. Can nearly get it but I'd be afraid I'd damage the driver head. I have a little artificial patch. You can see it in front of the net above. One side is fairway short with a hole for a rubber tee, and the other is rougher. Works grand.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BJ1FB71/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_aOZLFb6YKRM3J

That's the mat I bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Letter in the Times made me smile on an otherwise miserable Tuesday after a bank holiday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AkaPaulHoward/status/1320670411382837250/photo/1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So the rugby club across the road from me is allowing training, but i'm not allowed play golf on my own...how the **** does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Kiith wrote: »
    So the rugby club across the road from me is allowing training, but i'm not allowed play golf on my own...how the **** does that make sense?
    Well kids are allowed train for golf as well:
    Golf clubs and facilities are permitted to undertake structured training sessions of school-aged children during Level 5, as long as these sessions comply with the guidance supplied. Other exemptions are in place for a small number of professionals and high performance golfers who meet certain criteria as defined by Sport Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

It should be kids only and not contact.

I think people focusing on whether golf or tennis or rugby or theatre is a source of transmission are completely missing the point.

Nobody in their right mind is suggesting that people are getting covid on a golf course, but the simple fact is we are all being asked to stay at home, and do as little as possible that is not essential over the next 6 weeks.

It’s not the golf, or the tennis or the actual 5 a side that’s causing transmission, it’s the lift there sharing a car, it’s the chat afterwards, it’s the stopping in a coffee shop for a coffee on the bench outside on the way home, it’s the changing of peoples mindset to one of do only what is essential, work, learn, let kids continue to play sport, adults exercise in your local neighbourhood and otherwise just stay the **** at home for the next 6 weeks, so everyone can have somewhat of a normal Christmas experience.

Is it perfect? Far from it
    Has the communication been good? No it’s a complete cluster****, because the underlying message has been missed and not given to people properly, and all they are doing is annoying everyone instead of getting them onside

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

[IMG][/img]IMG-20201026-125629.jpg

Do you find it's useful? Tempted to get one myself just for something keep busy with at times.

• Advertisement

Nokotan wrote: »
    Do you find it's useful? Tempted to get one myself just for something keep busy with at times.

Ya I do anyway. It's something to have, to be able to go up and hit a heap of balls for a while. It's nothing Hi-Tech or fancy but it's good! That one I got on wish is easy enough to put up and take down and it's v easily transportable too. With the weather the way it is it beats going outside anyway!

It's definitely not kids, but it may be non-contact. Either way, it's ****ing bull**** that i can't play golf on my own at a course 4.2km from my house.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

I’ve noticed a steady stream of ROI registered cars in the car parks of a couple of County Down golf clubs this week. It’s a welcome cash boost for those clubs especially at this quieter time of year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I was involved in underage elite soccer this year and currently coach an u18 team and we’re allowed train, players can come from other counties and from more than 5kms. Really doesn’t make any sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

went for a walk over to the local park the other morning
    it shares a boundary with golf course
    i was only raging i got rid of my drone as i could have taken some great footage.
    lifting up in the park showing well over 1000 people out for morning walks with their friends no more than a couple feet from each other, at least 6 groups of well grown kids engaging in full combat team sports (but they were just training) and their coach taking full part, right in the thick of it
    pan right to show god knows how many empty acres in the field next door with the flags blowing in the wind!

not angry, just disappointed
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I was involved in underage elite soccer this year and currently coach an u18 team and we’re allowed train, players can come from other counties and from more than 5kms. Really doesn’t make any sense at all.

It makes absolutely no sense at all :(

Also, not sure you can say underage and elite in the same sentence - elite is the highest of the high, if soccer that's professional or semi-pro, not underage

Also, not sure you can say underage and elite in the same sentence - elite is the highest of the high, if soccer that's professional or semi-pro, not underage
    Representative sport at under-age level would be elite.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Representative sport at under-age level would be elite.

Elite athletes for example would mean the best world class athletes, not the best under 16s etc?

Elite athletes for example would mean the best world class athletes, not the best under 16s etc?
    That's not the way sports bodies look at it.

• Advertisement

Across every single sport under the sun we have about 20 world class athletes in total, so I think your definition is a bit skewed.

2 golfers, maybe 2-3 rugby players, zero soccer (and they all live in England anyway), a couple of athletes maybe, a handful of boxers, a cyclist ( 2 or 3 at a stretch), and then the odd person in a minority sport like Arthur Lanigan O’Keeffe. The GAA is impossible to judge, but would have to be zero.

By your reckoning all sport should stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

I wonder would there be many backyard courses in Ireland. I often used to drive by this but don't really know the story behind it other than that there's a country manor nearby.

531429.jpg

Unfortunately it disappeared 6 or 7 years ago, pond and all. You could see it from the road halfway between Newcastle West and Bruree.

531430.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Well driving past the grange yesterday and the car park was busy and saw a few people on putting greens etc..
    are practice grounds in play as would love to head to my course range for some practice

Rippeditup wrote: »
    Well driving past the grange yesterday and the car park was busy and saw a few people on putting greens etc..
    are practice grounds in play as would love to head to my course range for some practice

No they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Kids practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Nothing to stop a member have a walk around their course for excercise.

He said members looked at Level 5 regulations and felt that their activity is "very, very safe" because they are "basically people on their own going across isolated fields"...."He said there was no threat posed to public health by individual game shooters heading out on the land in the same way as they have done for generations."

Thought it was funny that their argument is basically the same as ours, with the slight difference of them being armed with rifles, and we are armed with a wicked slice. Not sure which is more dangerous tbh :pac:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1102/1175490-pheasant-shooting-restrictions/

tvercetti wrote: »
    I wonder would there be many backyard courses in Ireland. I often used to drive by this but don't really know the story behind it other than that there's a country manor nearby.

531429.jpg

Unfortunately it disappeared 6 or 7 years ago, pond and all. You could see it from the road halfway between Newcastle West and Bruree.

531430.jpg

I assume that is this place

http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/coh011.pdf

Owned by David Pearl, not sure if it’s sold now but it seems like they were managing it down from a cost perspective so maintaining a golf course wasn’t part of the plan. I know someone who is a commercial pilot and used to fly him in and out on his own private plane from the landing strip that used be at the house

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruamar

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Nothing to stop a member have a walk around their course for excercise.

Hi, is this the general rule? Are members allowed to walk the course if the live within 5km of the course?

I’ve been looking around to see f there is any guidance on this

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

ruamar wrote: »
    Hi, is this the general rule? Are members allowed to walk the course if the live within 5km of the course?

I’ve been looking around to see f there is any guidance on this

Thanks in advance

Absolutely no issue with that once the Club allows it.

Advertisement