Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruamar

Absolutely no issue with that once the Club allows it.

Thanks for replying, is this standard? Is there guidance from GUI or sports council?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

No self respecting golf club is going to publicly open its gates for their members/guests/locals/joe bloggs to just come down and wander freely with their families around the course

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

There are many health and safety aspects for starters that should ensure clubs are actively discouraging members and families to wander around the course when it's officially closed. In most clubs it's private property and non members are not allowed use the facilities for general purposes anyway.

I wouldn't advocate non members being allowed on the course, just wondering if many or any clubs are allowing members to walk the course with care, avoiding greens, bunkers, etc. Once the member lives within the 5km limits.

From my reading it would be at the discretion of the club and would not be breaking any Covid lockdown rules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Wouldn’t you look a right eegit walking round a golf course with no golf clubs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ruamar wrote: »
    I wouldn't advocate non members being allowed on the course, just wondering if many or any clubs are allowing members to walk the course with care, avoiding greens, bunkers, etc. Once the member lives within the 5km limits.

From my reading it would be at the discretion of the club and would not be breaking any Covid lockdown rules

Why would any club do that? There 's plenty of other places to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Noted. Mustn't forget my golf clubs when I go for a walk on the course later this afternoon. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd be ok with them letting me walk around the course. Might even bring a club or two. And that ball i found in the woods is probably mine, so i may as well hit it along the path that i'm walking :pac:

BENDYBINN wrote: »

I've looked much worse with the clubs that I could ever look without them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Exactly wrote: »
    Absolutely no issue with that once the Club allows it.

Our course wanted to have designated Sunday walks around the course where you would be allowed get take away coffee. Gardai said no even though 2 parks within 100ms that are rammed with thousands of people who can buy take away coffee in the parks :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

First time I was jealous of Donald, getting to play golf sat and sunday :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Kind of related to getting back.

Just booked a fitting on line in McGuirks for this Wednesday, got a text confirming booking. But every inch of me is saying it must be an error...

Any thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Does anyone know what the likelihood of golf being back when current round of restrictions come under review again? We are at half way point now and tentatively looking to book a winter series...

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the likelihood of golf being back when current round of restrictions come under review again? We are at half way point now and tentatively looking to book a winter series...

I think when we come out of Level 5 that Golf will be back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

What date are we due out of this again? I'm all mixed up with the dates!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

macslash wrote: »
    What date are we due out of this again? I'm all mixed up with the dates!
    Six weeks from 21st October. Which runs out on 2nd December. A Wednesday.

I wonder will they go for the 3 ball nonsense again when it opens up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

From WhatsApp conversations with my fellow club members, there is a distinct lack of enthusiasm to get back playing this time around compared to the last time. Many of them are saying that we might as well just throw in the towel for the winter rather than go back playing in the winter weather and subject to whatever restrictions they come up with this time.
    There is certainly no enthusiasm to go back playing casual golf only, like we did the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Roger_007 wrote: »
    From WhatsApp conversations with my fellow club members, there is a distinct lack of enthusiasm to get back playing this time around compared to the last time. Many of them are saying that we might as well just throw in the towel for the winter rather than go back playing in the winter weather and subject to whatever restrictions they come up with this time.
    There is certainly no enthusiasm to go back playing casual golf only, like we did the last time.

Same here. I think it's all about the weather/time of the year. Plus we know that there won't be a ball in hit in a qualifying competition until early March. We had the summer months and long evenings ahead of us after the last lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

fearruanua wrote: »
    Same here. I think it's all about the weather/time of the year. Plus we know that there won't be a ball in hit in a qualifying competition until early March. We had the summer months and long evenings ahead of us after the last lockdown.

unless of course you are playing links.

I can't wait to get back out playing. The weather has been pretty mild so far, last few weekends had some ideal golfing weather. I would expect our place to be maxed out again when things open up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

No lack of enthusiasm here...I'm booking the 2nd off work to get out!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

willabur wrote: »
    unless of course you are playing links.

I can't wait to get back out playing. The weather has been pretty mild so far, last few weekends had some ideal golfing weather. I would expect our place to be maxed out again when things open up

Unfortunately not.

i can understand them not being less enthusiastic as last time around with the weather being so different but to be honestly that sounds like a weird golf club with members who don't want to play the game

I wonder will they go for the 3 ball nonsense again when it opens up.

why was it nonsense. i thought it was great, some of the quickest golf I've ever played

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yeah dying to get back out. We have had so many mild and sunny days the past weeks I reckon I would have been getting two rounds a week in. Hoping it continues into December but Murphys Law means as soon as we can go back playing we will have three months of non-stop rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Seve OB wrote: »
    i can understand them not being less enthusiastic as last time around with the weather being so different but to be honestly that sounds like a weird golf club with members who don't want to play the game

Yea it sounds strange. Most of the members in my club cannot wait to get back out and playing. The winter league had a record entry this year and there is still 6 rounds of it left to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Seve OB wrote: »

I know a few who never play during the winter apart from maybe an occasional outing around Christmas, weather permitting. If your course is situated on ground which gets very heavy and muddy during the winter, it’s not that attractive to go out to play.
    As a previous poster stated, links courses have a tremendous advantage at this time of year.

I know a few who never play during the winter apart from maybe an occasional outing around Christmas, weather permitting. If your course is situated on ground which gets very heavy and muddy during the winter, it’s not that attractive to go out to play.
    As a previous poster stated, links courses have a tremendous advantage at this time of year.
    I'm a member in 2 non-links courses and i would hazard a guess most of the posters here aren't links members.
    we still want to play golf though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

I can't wait to get back and try out my new handicap !:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Russman wrote: »
    I can't wait to get back and try out my new handicap !:D:D

It's an interesting one now that I think of this.

In our winter league, when things get bad, we have a winter course on temporary tee/greens. I'm assuming that there was not a serious of slopes calculated for those.

They usually just knock some points off your score, so assume that'll carry forward

Advertisement