Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

It's an interesting one now that I think of this.

In our winter league, when things get bad, we have a winter course on temporary tee/greens. I'm assuming that there was not a serious of slopes calculated for those.

They usually just knock some points off your score, so assume that'll carry forward

We'd be similar. Some tees would be temporary, some would be on the very front of the most forward tee. The selection of holes could vary wildy depending on the weather, it could be anything from 9 to 15 holes. It wouldn't be unusual to play from one tee to the green of a different hole (a legacy of a previous routing of the course which makes it possible) if part of a hole was too wet or frozen.

Seve OB wrote: »
    why was it nonsense. i thought it was great, some of the quickest golf I've ever played

I like the side 4 ball matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,583 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I like the side 4 ball matches.

Same here, one of our regular four ball now has to find another two to play with each week, not easy on a packed tee sheet. I much prefer the craic when we play 2 v 2 .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Can't wait to get out too. I too am thinking of taking some A/L and getting out during the week. The weekends will be wedged. I suspect the club may have to run their Sunday comp on the Saturday too

I played a fair bit of golf in the run up to last Christmas. I'm hoping to do the same this year

I play parkland course that gets a bit damp in winter, mats, winter tees etc. So I'm happy enough getting out every 2 or 3 weeks normally from Nov to Feb. But no golf at all is horrible. Not even getting to the driving range is frustrating. I normally go to driving range a lot during winter.

I'll lose the plot if another lockdown is brought in around spring time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

not yet wrote: »
    Kind of related to getting back.

Just booked a fitting on line in McGuirks for this Wednesday, got a text confirming booking. But every inch of me is saying it must be an error...

Any thoughts.

I talked to them in limerick store and said no fittings until post level 5...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭blue note

Any whispers on what's going to happen in December? Leo is usually quite reliable for a few leaks to gauge public reaction, but maybe that won't be the case for a while.

It's very hard to predict, but my gut is telling me that while they'll maintain a fairly strict lockdown, I think they'll allow one or two things to open up. And I wonder will golf be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

blue note wrote: »
    Any whispers on what's going to happen in December? Leo is usually quite reliable for a few leaks to gauge public reaction, but maybe that won't be the case for a while.

It's very hard to predict, but my gut is telling me that while they'll maintain a fairly strict lockdown, I think they'll allow one or two things to open up. And I wonder will golf be one.

Donnelly was wheeled out on the news a few minutes ago and said there was no appetite not to exit level 5 at end of November. So given usual kite flying that takes place before a big announcement it bodes well for a return to golf in some capacity I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Donnelly was wheeled out on the news a few minutes ago and said there was no appetite not to exit level 5 at end of November. So given usual kite flying that takes place before a big announcement it bodes well for a return to golf in some capacity I imagine.

I was fearful we'd get a different kit being flown at this stage and a further lockdown being on the cards but if numbers explode then things could be different. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Another two weeks to go, fingers crossed we get a game in before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Whiplash85 wrote: »

The numbers havent really dropped like we would want though, I think lots of people have heard "vaccine" and decided not to both anymore.

Those videos from various towns over the weekend were pretty shocking and we wont see the impact from them for another 2 weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Mod delete

Let's keep this thread on topic, thank you

I think if Golf is to return there may still be some local restriction in place. A lot is dependent on the next two weeks really I suppose. It was looking promising but the last few days less so.

I read an interview with our Taoiseach at the weekend and he mentioned his wife was a golfer and wasn't happy with the previous decision :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I can't see the travel rule being changed too soon but can see those living within their county being allowed out to play. I'd expect a gradual easing leading up to the week of Christmas to allow people travel to see family during Christmas. I wouldn't expect it to go much lower than level 3 though, particularly the way cases are.

As for our anti-vaxxer here, Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Mod Delete

Probably best for the conspiracy theory thread or a covid thread or something.

or just report the post:)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

Mod delete

Mod delete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Mod delete

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Mod delete

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Okay, all vaccine posts deleted, back to topic please, thanks all

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I can't see the travel rule being changed too soon but can see those living within their county being allowed out to play. I'd expect a gradual easing leading up to the week of Christmas to allow people travel to see family during Christmas. I wouldn't expect it to go much lower than level 3 though, particularly the way cases are.

As for our anti-vaxxer here, Jesus wept.

Yeah I'd expect Level 3 so if courses are allowed re-open you will only be allowed play in your own county right up to Christmas week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Frisbee wrote: »
    Yeah I'd expect Level 3 so if courses are allowed re-open you will only be allowed play in your own county right up to Christmas week.

I wonder if they'll have some 20km radius rule like they had at one time before but it sounds like NPHET are against too much easing so who knows really. I do think it'll be mid December before clubs are back in action, certainly can't see it being first week in December unless there's a significant reduction in the daily cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

GreeBo wrote: »
    The numbers havent really dropped like we would want though, I think lots of people have heard "vaccine" and decided not to both anymore.

Those videos from various towns over the weekend were pretty shocking and we wont see the impact from them for another 2 weeks...
    Unfortunately I think this is ongoing. I was staying I'm Dublin city about a month ago and was similar big crowds on Grafton Street near the Phil Lynott statue. Pubs were closed at that point but a good few people passed us with drinks on plastic cups. Not sure where they'd gotten them from. Took the below pic from a distance as we didnt want to get anywhere close to a crowd of drunks.

533308.jpg

It's very frustrating when a golf course with limited tee times and natural distancing is closed while idiots like this carry on regardless

The two are completely different and this is reasonably safe. Making points like this doesnt help because it just makes the governement dig in more. Because you are making it look like people meeting outdoors is an issue. It just isnt!

You are giving them reason to ban organised outdoor gatherings

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

gypsy79 wrote: »
    The two are completely different and this is reasonably safe. Making points like this doesnt help because it just makes the governement dig in more. Because you are making it look like people meeting outdoors is an issue. It just isnt!

You are giving them reason to ban organised outdoor gatherings

Yeah, NPHET and the cabinet are reading boards and have used this golf thread to determine restrictions.

Stubborn hoors they are, we should all start posting that golf should be stopped until 2022. They’d have us back playing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Weather has been brutal here for the last few weeks not sure I'll be too fussed when lockdown ends, I'm certainly not going out in the freezing cold wind and rain. I've gotten too used to my lazy Saturday mornings.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Well myself and a mate are booked in to play the Monty in Carton house on December 4th. I'm assuming all good to go by then. It's not near home. nor in my county. If it's open I'm going, end of!

I'm desperate to play, don't care about the weather, within reason anyway.

I was out for nearly 6 months after an operation on my back and literally had just started back when the first lockdown started. Probably played about 30% of normal number of rounds in a year.

Golf courses can't open soon enough!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

30% ain't bad, I usually get around 60 rounds in a year, this year I golfed 11 days, no interest in going back in December in bad weather

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭blue note

slave1 wrote: »
    30% ain't bad, I usually get around 60 rounds in a year, this year I golfed 11 days, no interest in going back in December in bad weather

I'd love to get out right now regardless of the weather. For links of course, but even if it was cold, windy and raining I'd be so happy to be on a course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

I don't get the complaints about the weather. You are as likely to have good weather this time of year than in the summer. Stick a few layers on and you will be fine

Advertisement