Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Stupid question perhaps but wondering how do golfers counteract the freezing cold conditions with your hands? I only started back after the first lockdown but had played a little when I was a teenager but I hated it as it was Saturday morning Winter golf and all I remember is the cold! Looking forward to getting back into it but not if I can barely hold a club properly. I see you can get a pair of gloves. Is that common or a rarety? I'm under 30 FWIW

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

macslash wrote: »
    Stupid question perhaps but wondering how do golfers counteract the freezing cold conditions with your hands? I only started back after the first lockdown but had played a little when I was a teenager but I hated it as it was Saturday morning Winter golf and all I remember is the cold! Looking forward to getting back into it but not if I can barely hold a club properly. I see you can get a pair of gloves. Is that common or a rarety? I'm under 30 FWIW

On very cold days i throw a hand warming pouch thingy into each of my winter golf mitts. or into my pocket if i forget my mitts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

willabur wrote: »
    I don't get the complaints about the weather. You are as likely to have good weather this time of year than in the summer. Stick a few layers on and you will be fine

Probably more about the course conditions than the actual weather effect on them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

fearruanua wrote: »
    On very cold days i throw a hand warming pouch thingy into each of my winter golf mitts. or into my pocket if i forget my mitts.

Have you tried the re-chargeable hand warmers? They are brilliant. Amazon has them. I can't seem to post a link for some reason as the Amazon site seems to be having difficulties but if you search for reusable or rechargeable hand warmers you should see a selection of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

That probably means that the rest of you is actually cold.
    Make sure your core is warm (full sleeve baselayer and something insulated around your middle) and you should be ok.

Also either wear lined trousers or just wear your wetgear over regular trousers, keeping the wind out does wonders for your temperature when its cold out.

(oh and obv wear a hat!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Misguided1 wrote: »
    Have you tried the re-chargeable hand warmers? They are brilliant. Amazon has them. I can't seem to post a link for some reason as the Amazon site seems to be having difficulties but if you search for reusable or rechargeable hand warmers you should see a selection of them.

No I haven't but must have a look. Grma

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

A pair of mitts are a must! Easy to pop on and off and no need to take off your golf glove. I only generally need them for the first 2 or 3 holes until I'm fully warmed up. They might look a bit funny but worth it to avoid the sting of a thin iron :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Big mug of Coffee or soup in a thermos is great to have in the cup holder on the trolley.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

GreeBo wrote: »
    Make sure your core is warm (full sleeve baselayer and something insulated around your middle) and you should be ok.

Also either wear lined trousers or just wear your wetgear over regular trousers, keeping the wind out does wonders for your temperature when its cold out.

(oh and obv wear a hat!)

Was just about to post the same. If your main core is warm then your hands won't be too bad. I wear vest then base tightish layer followed by a thin loose layer and a sleeveless gilet.

I have the electric handwarmers too which are great. All of the above is only when its bitter cold and I'd normally scale it down when not so cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Any recommendations for a good pair of waterproof trousers?
    Not rain gear trousers that you put on over your normal trousers but a pair of winter trousers that are waterproof too.

What I have seen are expensive, so I don't want to buy online without being sure they will do the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

GreeBo wrote: »

(oh and obv wear a hat!)
    Was just about to post the same. If your main core is warm then your hands won't be too bad. I wear vest then base tightish layer followed by a thin loose layer and a sleeveless gilet.

I have the electric handwarmers too which are great. All of the above is only when its bitter cold and I'd normally scale it down when not so cold.

Have to counteract this argument and say that it is down to individuals. I myself get very cold hands and feet. It is a circulation thing or something as I would be well dressed for the weather. Indeed there are a few boardsies here who can confirm that I make sure I'm well wrapped up, sure I've been at the brunt end of many slags about how far up Everest I must be planning on heading :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

willabur wrote: »
    I don't get the complaints about the weather. You are as likely to have good weather this time of year than in the summer. Stick a few layers on and you will be fine

The weather itself is not so much the issue its what bad weather does to the course that puts me off. At this time of year the course can be very wet, mats, winter tees, greens not it great shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Cant wait to get back out. I love 9 holes of a winter's morning

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a good pair of waterproof trousers?
    Not rain gear trousers that you put on over your normal trousers but a pair of winter trousers that are waterproof too.

What I have seen are expensive, so I don't want to buy online without being sure they will do the job

I'd recommend the aqua dry from Craig hopper. I buy them in regatta usually cost around 80 euro.
    Waterproof thermal lined. Best trousers for golf this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

RGS wrote: »
    I'd recommend the aqua dry from Craig hopper. I buy them in regatta usually cost around 80 euro.
    Waterproof thermal lined. Best trousers for golf this time of the year.

I'll second that, I've had a pair for 4 winters and they're brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Seve OB wrote: »
    Indeed there are a few boardsies here who can confirm that I make sure I'm well wrapped up

I don't know about that, but here's a lovely photo I took of seveob entering in the society scores after his first round as society captain a few years ago :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

When is golf open again in the 26 counties?

The north have been told we're closing for 2 weeks starting friday 27th, not too bothered as the course is pretty wet and lots of leaves around but wouldn't mind a trip to the links in donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

When is golf open again in the 26 counties?

The north have been told we're closing for 2 weeks starting friday 27th, not too bothered as the course is pretty wet and lots of leaves around but wouldn't mind a trip to the links in donegal.

We're hoping for Dec 1st but won't know until next week I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

That's the spirit, the only reason they closed them in my opinion was people travelling distances to play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

seamie78 wrote: »
    That's the spirit, the only reason they closed them in my opinion was people travelling distances to play
    And Donegal having one of the highest infection rates in the country. :(

prawnsambo wrote: »
    And Donegal having one of the highest infection rates in the country. :(

People have been going into the North to play all during lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

People have been going into the North to play all during lockdown.
    I would imagine so. And probably other activities which are open/closed depending on which side of the border you're on. Reminiscent of the petrol stations opening and closing on either side of the border depending on what the price of fuel was in either jurisdiction.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I would imagine so. And probably other activities which are open/closed depending on which side of the border you're on. Reminiscent of the petrol stations opening and closing on either side of the border depending on what the price of fuel was in either jurisdiction.

Lots in derry and newry shopping too. The 2nd lockdown just hasn't been obeyed by the same amount of people as the first one.

Lots in derry and newry shopping too. The 2nd lockdown just hasn't been obeyed by the same amount of people as the first one.

Firstly, It's not the same "lockdown" as the first one.
    Secondly, It's true, some people aren't as strict in their following of the regulations that are there this time out. Unfortunate, but probably expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

kippy wrote: »
    Firstly, It's not the same "lockdown" as the first one.
    Secondly, It's true, some people aren't as strict in their following of the regulations that are there this time out. Unfortunate, but probably expected.

And thirdly we had absolutely bangin weather for the first lockdown. It's been **** for the second one and people dont like being stuck at home in it

Rikand wrote: »
    And thirdly we had absolutely bangin weather for the first lockdown. It's been **** for the second one and people dont like being stuck at home in it

First one was painful with the good weather. This time I'm not that bothered as its winter. I'm more worried that an increase in cases over Christmas and new year could lead to golf being closed again in spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The third lockdown’s going to be a b*tch, just as the season gets going again.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The third lockdown’s going to be a b*tch, just as the season gets going again.

The third "lockdown" needn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

kippy wrote: »
    The third "lockdown" needn't happen.

If my circle of friends and acquaintances are anything to go by, the word on WhatsApp is that they’ve had it with lockdowns. Another one would just be ignored.

Advertisement