Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Roger_007 wrote: »
    If my circle of friends and acquaintances are anything to go by, the word on WhatsApp is that they’ve had it with lockdowns. Another one would just be ignored.
    There's one way to avoid increased restrictions.

If my circle of friends and acquaintances are anything to go by, the word on WhatsApp is that they’ve had it with lockdowns. Another one would just be ignored.

Hopefully the vaccine starts to impact in new year. But if they try and lock golf down in spring they should be told to GTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Once the vaccine gets going the deaths will drop and things won't be locked down like before. Its all about the ICU admissions and deaths, lads.

Announcement due on Thursday on the next steps. Hopefully some positive news regarding Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

ICU isnt at 15% capacity. The videos online from Saturday night in cork city centre are a disgrace. They are permitted to do that and yet golfers can't walk around a course. Total fooking joke. Shambles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Will be great to be back , but getting a tee time will be like trying to get a play station 5.

Daylight hours
    Reduced slots
    Massive enthusiasm

Will be messy
    Club are going to have to go back to 2/3 games a week per person.

Unless winter golf puts people off, but I doubt it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I expect there'll be less people playing, that's for sure, but there will still be a serious queue. Booking as a single person will be grand, but getting a full group out may be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

macslash wrote: »
    Stupid question perhaps but wondering how do golfers counteract the freezing cold conditions with your hands? I only started back after the first lockdown but had played a little when I was a teenager but I hated it as it was Saturday morning Winter golf and all I remember is the cold! Looking forward to getting back into it but not if I can barely hold a club properly. I see you can get a pair of gloves. Is that common or a rarety? I'm under 30 FWIW

Couple of tricks...

Hand warmers in each pocket... Get them cheap in Halfords... A little warmth goes along way...

Can get winter gloves but find them annoying and lack feel... Must get serious cold for that...

Golf Mittens (with hand warmers) can be great depending on how you bring your bag around.

My fav is a zippo hand warmers, not the cheapest or easiest to use... You get them and fill with petrol and light them, put back cover... They slowly burn away and get seriously warm... They are fire in your pocket...

Will be great to be back , but getting a tee time will be like trying to get a play station 5.

Daylight hours
    Reduced slots
    Massive enthusiasm

Will be messy
    Club are going to have to go back to 2/3 games a week per person.

Unless winter golf puts people off, but I doubt it.

It is going to bedlam... Our club was full playing 9 holes 3 times a week in the middle of the summer when 3 balls... Courses will be desperate for reduced traffic...

Might venture out to Connemara when we get back... Can be warmer, very dry...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

CowboyTed wrote: »
    It is going to bedlam... Our club was full playing 9 holes 3 times a week in the middle of the summer when 3 balls... Courses will be desperate for reduced traffic...

Might venture out to Connemara when we get back... Can be warmer, very dry...

‘Connemara’, ‘warm’ and ‘dry’ are three words I’ve never seen in the same sentence before.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

‘Connemara’, ‘warm’ and ‘dry’ are three words I’ve never seen in the same sentence before.:pac:

I presumed he was talking about the whiskey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Kiith wrote: »
    I expect there'll be less people playing, that's for sure, but there will still be a serious queue. Booking as a single person will be grand, but getting a full group out may be tough.

Remember we're normally down to 14 holes for the winter as well. :(

RGS wrote: »
    I'd recommend the aqua dry from Craig hopper. I buy them in regatta usually cost around 80 euro.
    Waterproof thermal lined. Best trousers for golf this time of the year.

Craighoppers are very good...

Thermal lined are brillant for winter...

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Couple of tricks...

Hand warmers in each pocket... Get them cheap in Halfords... A little warmth goes along way...

Can get winter gloves but find them annoying and lack feel... Must get serious cold for that...

Golf Mittens (with hand warmers) can be great depending on how you bring your bag around.

My fav is a zippo hand warmers, not the cheapest or easiest to use... You get them and fill with petrol and light them, put back cover... They slowly burn away and get seriously warm... They are fire in your pocket...

WTF!! :eek:

I know...

If you get a dry and calm day in winter out there it is incredible... You still need to wrap up but there is no mud and wet... It is not freezing as in minus 0... So it feels kind of warm...

fearruanua wrote: »

I have two... One for each pocket (until about the 9th when partner figures out)... Mental warm...

The hand warmers aren't bad either... The big thing is to have something to warm them up... It gets to a point that putting them into a pocket jus doesn't warm them, your circulation is gone...

Seems nuts :eek:

Also, reading the reviews, it seems once lit it can be put out without starving it of oxygen.

No off switch, old tech...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Seems nuts :eek:

Also, reading the reviews, it seems once lit it can be put out without starving it of oxygen.

They are unreliable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭blue note

I find it it's warm enough not to be closed due to frost, then I don't need too much. My absolute max would be

Trousers and wet pants. Base layer, polo, jumper, rain jacket. Gator I wear skiing (makes a huge difference). And a wooly hat. I carry the clubs so can walk with my handfasting hands in my pockets. No need to be faffing about with mitts then.

To be honest, I'd only last a couple of holes with all that on when I've no protection from the beach. Otherwise I'll be removing layers. Although I do notice that I like a little more warmth now than when I was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

blue note wrote: »
    I find it it's warm enough not to be closed due to frost, then I don't need too much. My absolute max would be

Trousers and wet pants. Base layer, polo, jumper, rain jacket. Gator I wear skiing (makes a huge difference). And a wooly hat. I carry the clubs so can walk with my handfasting hands in my pockets. No need to be faffing about with mitts then.

To be honest, I'd only last a couple of holes with all that on when I've no protection from the beach. Otherwise I'll be removing layers. Although I do notice that I like a little more warmth now than when I was younger.

Couldn't swing a club with all those layers on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Irish Examiner story says golf to return from next week though it doesn't mention anything about travel restrictions around it.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40088498.html

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Neewollah

Going to be restricted to your own County apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Neewollah wrote: »
    Going to be restricted to your own County apparently

I'm trying to remember.

I suppose no matter what level 3 will be level 3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Yeah it does say level 3 allright which is restricted to your own county. I've heard some courses have emailed members to say they are open for bookings from tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

Yeah it does say level 3 allright which is restricted to your own county. I've heard some courses have emailed members to say they are open for bookings from tomorrow.

I’ve heard of a few open already since earlier today.

Our timesheet is filling up for Tue 1st. Looks like it wont be open till Wednesday 2nd though.

• Advertisement

I’ve heard of a few open already since earlier today.

Timesheet or courses?

Advertisement