Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Ollieboy wrote: »
    I think the problem is the club trying to be both things to different markets.

It’s either members and members getting first option with green fees after or it’s all green fees. What this club seems to be doing is have its cake both ways and that’s not fair.

For them it’s the perfect solution and most profit situation. I also doubt the rental agreement tells them how to manage the complex if they are paying rent. Because it’s council own they are also exempt from rates which is a very unfair advantage over other clubs.

But, if you are only getting charge a nominal fee for membership, then that’s a different issue.

I feel like I’m almost defending Carr here, and I have no allegiance to do so, but provided that Sunday comps remain sacrosanct and they make a better fist of the timesheets, at the price you pay for Corballis I don’t think there is much cause for complaint. Year round good conditions and qualifying comps, 4 comps a week, reasonable bit of club matchplay and the like, for 700 snots is still incredible value. Yes you don’t get walk up golf like you do some places, but hearing the troubles some people are having in places like Castleknock for twice the price it isn’t so bad.

I think some kind of mechanism where say 7-8am in summer (8-9 in winter) and 12-1 every day are members times, and they’re blocked off from the public until maybe 5 or so days before when they get released would be a good compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Turned up just to play 9 today. Unexpectedly there was a competition on. Shot 21 points for the 9 and won it.
    All I need is an All Ireland win on Sunday 13th and it will be a great Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Got out yesterday for a casual 9, course was looking well but greens had been cored at some point during lockdown so they were very slow and inconsistent. Chips landing and bouncing in funny directions and putts bobbling and turning random directions. Hopefully with some more foot fall they'll bed down properly. Also noticed a few unrepaired pitch marks which I found strange as the course had only been open a day and a half

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

One annoyance in my home course was the state of some of the fairways. They obviously cut them far too tight..a lot became pure muck then from the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

callaway92 wrote: »
    One annoyance in my home course was the state of some of the fairways. They obviously cut them far too tight..a lot became pure muck then from the wet.

Are you sure that’s not worming this time of year?

They don’t cut fairways at different height so if it’s issue on only some fairways then that worming issue and very little they can do or spend a lot on sanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Cant decide if I have lost muscle mass, not hitting it well or what but ball is not travelling for me like it was 2 months ago. Having said that it was bitterly cold today. Anyone else finding that? Can the cold weather effect ball flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Cant decide if I have lost muscle mass, not hitting it well or what but ball is not travelling for me like it was 2 months ago. Having said that it was bitterly cold today. Anyone else finding that? Can the cold weather effect ball flight?

Easily half a club shorter today but lots of layers and colder weather will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

Whiplash85 wrote: »

yeah, its definitely a factor. One drive in particular I hit today I felt I connected with it really well and it went 240, felt more of a 260/270 off the club

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Nearly always another club needed in cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

On the time sheet in the morning and cannot wait to put on 4 layers and a hat to get out and play. Been a long 8 weeks since I last played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Played 12 tuesday, bit of every thing really getting back into it.

Played 12 hole comp wednesday-24 points

Main thing ive noticed is that i am actually in a much better mood this week

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Anddddddd we’re closed :(

No golf this morning, frost, next inspection at 11

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Same here out whest

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Booked in for a round tomorrow morning. Links course so hopefully not impacted by frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Tried to play Friday morning, course closed due to frost.

Down on the timesheet for lunchtime today, course closed for the day.

Dying to get back out..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Played yesterday, was nice to be back, turned out to be a lovely morning in Naas. Played OK. Course still in good condition, little wet in patches.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Don't think that fog is going to move at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭newport2

Email from my club, inter County travel ban lifted for sports, effective immediately. If you are a member of a golf club, you can cross county border to play

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭blue note

Frosted off this morning. :(

newport2 wrote: »
    Email from my club, inter County travel ban lifted for sports, effective immediately. If you are a member of a golf club, you can cross county border to play

Yes got same mail.
    At last someone somewhere has a bit of common sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yeah mate is a member in Powerscourt and got that mail today. I assumed it was just Powerscourt going rogue and getting members back playing as had heard nothing about it previously.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Yeah mate is a member in Powerscourt and got that mail today. I assumed it was just Powerscourt going rogue and getting members back playing as had heard nothing about it previously.
    Well it’s all good. Here ya go.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/golfers-can-travel-across-county-boundaries-as-level-3-guidance-is-changed-1.4428916

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

blue note wrote: »
    Frosted off this morning. :(

In Corballis? Just the morning or was it closed for the day? Supposed to be playing there at 12.30 tomorrow, assuming will be ok as doesn't look like it will be as cold tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭blue note

Frisbee wrote: »
    In Corballis? Just the morning or was it closed for the day? Supposed to be playing there at 12.30 tomorrow, assuming will be ok as doesn't look like it will be as cold tonight.

It was frosted off for a lot of the morning anyway so we weren't able to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭newport2

That's made my Xmas!

It’s made my mind up.
    I was more than likely going to fork out nearly 2k in subs for 2021 anyway but being reduced to a 2 day week in work for the foreseeable and living across the county line really was making it a tough decision.
    Now we can at least play in our own club when it’s open and so no5 a hard decision anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Gutted was due to play my first round back this morning and course closed for the day due to frost.

In the last 5 years I think I could count on one hand the amount of times the course has been closed due to weather :-(

Are we being shut down again on 27th Dec I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Are we being shut down again on 27th Dec I wonder?

I'd say so, looks like it'll be Lockdown 1 part 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

not yet wrote: »
    I'd say so, looks like it'll be Lockdown 1 part 2

The Taoiseach said non essential retail will definitely stay open, surely golf and other outdoor non-contact sport will stay open too

Advertisement