Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

cgq300 wrote: »
    Are we still allowed to leave the county to play golf provided we are going to a club you are a member of? Can't find anything on this. And before anyone jumps in club is only 20 mins away but in another county.

No movement outside. It’s L5

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotzie

https://www.golfireland.ie/news-detail?newsarticleid=82&tags=Golf%20Ireland%20HQ%3bCovid-19

In this link it says

From 26th December, inter-county travel restrictions will be reintroduced and will, as always, apply to sporting activity.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

not yet wrote: »
    Had booked a game in North county Dublin for tomorrow on teetimes, just got a call cancelling it saying members only. Time sheet looks crazy in my own club, every line seems to have guests...

I'm guessing its ghost guests to fill the line.

I just had to do this myself, didn’t do it and had two members book in with my two ball for tomorrow. The ignorance of some people is pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭blue note

Dotzie wrote: »
    https://www.golfireland.ie/news-detail?newsarticleid=82&tags=Golf%20Ireland%20HQ%3bCovid-19

In this link it says

From 26th December, inter-county travel restrictions will be reintroduced and will, as always, apply to sporting activity.

The first time around people found the 5k restriction very unclear and lots of people called out golf Ireland for not giving clear guidance on it. This is very clear, basically impossible to misunderstand. However, I suspect lots of people will find it ambiguous and cross the boarders until it's made clearer. I suspect the only people who will find it unclear will be those whose club is in a different county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

blue note wrote: »
    The first time around people found the 5k restriction very unclear and lots of people called out golf Ireland for not giving clear guidance on it. This is very clear, basically impossible to misunderstand. However, I suspect lots of people will find it ambiguous and cross the boarders until it's made clearer. I suspect the only people who will find it unclear will be those whose club is in a different county.

The government imposed the 5km restrictions not golf Ireland.

People either choose to ignore the 5km restrictions or justify it by playing the restrictions are not clear card. Either way it was very clear and was discussed to death in most golf clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Plenty of courses didn't follow the rules regarding 5km and still won't.
    Unless there is a show of force from those creating the rules, plenty will do their damnest to avoid them.
    Never underestimate the ingenuity of idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Unless there is a show of force from those creating the rules, plenty will do their damnest to avoid them.

And people wonder why golf clubs were closed last time out..

kippy wrote: »
    And people wonder why golf clubs were closed last time out..

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Did you do anything about this? I've the exact same situation. What's annoying me is that I originally had 4 on the line, but told one of my friends sorry, he can't play because of the restrictions. Now some randomer is down with us.

Very shortsighted not to restrict it to two balls and just let people rock up with more if they're from the same household. Or take the additional bookings over the phone if they were worried about two single people each rocking up with two more.

Rang the clubhouse today.
    Basically it is up to us.
    If we are happy to play with randomer from 3rd house fire ahead. If not they will split us up.

So on the day we get to look like d1ckheads and send the other lad off on his own.

Agreed with most of it but it’s technically not the courses or clubs, it’s the members that didn’t follow the rules. Without any sanctions against the course or club, then they aren’t going to enforce the regulations on behalf of the government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭blue note

Felexicon wrote: »
    Rang the clubhouse today.
    Basically it is up to us.
    If we are happy to play with randomer from 3rd house fire ahead. If not they will split us up.

So on the day we get to look like d1ckheads and send the other lad off on his own.

Fuk sake. Plus it'll mean extra groups teeing off so will slow down people getting off the tee. And you'll have a mix of fourballs and potentially singles playing so it's going to be very slow for some people.

It's not fair to expect clubs to police it, but they could have limited the timesheet to two balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Fuk sake. Plus it'll mean extra groups teeing off so will slow down people getting off the tee. And you'll have a mix of fourballs and potentially singles playing so it's going to be very slow for some people.

It's not fair to expect clubs to police it, but they could have limited the timesheet to two balls.

I rang the clubhouse today and got a similar shpiel, and we’ve now gotten an email to say the same, it’s self policing so you can all sort yourselves out. What a disaster.

The simple thing is to lock the time sheet down to twoballs, and if you are playing with a family member ring the clubhouse and they will manually plug in a third or a fourth, as the sensible clubs seem to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Going against the grain here but I'm delighted our club have left it to the members to decide, you want to play in a 2 ball, no problem but if you are happy to play in a 3 or 4, work away too.
    If Tennis Ireland can advise that 4 people from 4 households can play in an area 1/100th times the size of a golf course and handle shared equipment, then how does golf Ireland consider a normal 4 ball in golf to be more dangerous? Ridiculous guidelines that I won't be following.

Courses could close again thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I thought the guidance was two balls at 8 minutes and all others at had to be 9 or 10. How are they managing two separate intervals in one comp ?

This below is from Golf Ireland

The guidance issued by Golf Ireland on 27 November 2020 continues to apply to all golf clubs

Daily timesheets are restricted to a minimum of 8, 9 or 10 minute intervals. Clubs may only choose one interval for each day. If clubs choose 8+ minute intervals, play is restricted to 2 golfers per start time. If clubs choose 9+ minutes, up to 3 golfers may play per start time. If clubs choose 10+ minutes, up to 4 golfers may play per start time.

Seems to be only 2 balls booked for next few days so maybe members aren't taking up the 3 or 4 ball options.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Think everything will be locked down after tomorrows government meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I’m in 2 clubs. One has put a decent structure in place to adhere to the rules. But they have go casual golf only :(
    The other has basically said, we don’t give a damn..... police it yourself. Like how the f*** is that even possible when they just allow others to book on the line beside you. tee sheet is chockers for the next week or so, will be interesting to see if any names drop off but I expect it is very unlikely. Qualifying comps so I’ve stuck my name down for Saturday in the only line which had 1 player. So just 2 of us now, I wonder how long it will take before the line gets filled

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

I’d say so. Reckon nearly everything will go. 5k limit outside of home.
    I’d prefer go through one last crap lockdown if I thought that was end of it and be done. If school is still open I dunno will shutting everything else make that much difference. They’re saying that new strain looks like it might spread worse among children.
    I’m just hoping everything will be good for next summer and we can move on

Snotty wrote: »
    Going against the grain here but I'm delighted our club have left it to the members to decide, you want to play in a 2 ball, no problem but if you are happy to play in a 3 or 4, work away too.
    If Tennis Ireland can advise that 4 people from 4 households can play in an area 1/100th times the size of a golf course and handle shared equipment, then how does golf Ireland consider a normal 4 ball in golf to be more dangerous? Ridiculous guidelines that I won't be following.

Tennis is down to same, singles for 2 households or doubles if the 4 people are from 2 households. The government dictated the 2 households guidelines and not sport Ireland.

You don’t need follow the guidelines but from my perspective you have no place in any club if that’s the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Seve OB wrote: »
    , I wonder how long it will take before the line gets filled

Can you not just fill the other 2 spaces with guest or match?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Not 1 person in the club was following these guidelines today, 4 balls on all the lines

If you feel really strongly about it then just don't head out in the first place

People won't adhere to nonsense rules and they will to one's that make sense, to be honest that's how Ireland works and it works well

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Not 1 person in the club was following these guidelines today, 4 balls on all the lines

If you feel really strongly about it then just don't head out in the first place

People won't adhere to nonsense rules and they will to one's that make sense, to be honest that's how Ireland works and it works well

I think clubs got leeway as some bookings were in b4 announcement. I saw on our timesheets anything that wasn't booked beforehand was changed to only 2 balls after announcement..

Yep that sums up Ireland well in one sentence :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Have a tee time of 10:50 tomorrow but with the yellow warning don't think we'll get out. I booked my dad and me in as a 2 ball away from his home course as his is over a county boundary and I'm only looking to join a club in 2021. It gave me the option to put down a 4 ball so not sure what they are doing in terms of enforcing it but I suspect not a lot to be honest. I just hope if we do get out that there isn't 2 randomers in our group as I think we'd probably opt out at that stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Snotty wrote: »

Tennis Ireland have imposed restrictions also, no doubles etc.

Over 3000 cases on the island today. I'd say we are heading for an March/April type lockdown tomorrow. They are going to want something in place before new years eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Enjoy your last rounds today lads. Thinks we’ll be putting away the clubs til at least Paddy’s Day after today:(

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Didn't renew my membership, mainly due to 2nd lockdown and very happy I didn't renew it now with another few weeks lockdown on the horizon. We also had money issues so couldn't be justified. Could be months out of the year gone in a year where the club made more money in 2020 than it did in 2019. Not a hint of anything to reflect the severe loss of playing time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Not looking good lads. Full lockdown seems to be on the cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Had hoped to play today but of course, Frost

so typical.

Oh well

Advertisement