Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

DubJJ wrote: »
    Just had an email from my club and there saying 6pm tomorrow!

Sorry does your email state or include a link to govt guidelines?

It's looking good to getting out, I'll be playing 2/3 balls tomorrow to get as much play as possible :-) apologies for slow play...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Absolutely no one I know thought that. Everyone was saying we'd be back in lockdown in January. It was obvious. These lockdowns are not designed to eradicate covid, they're being implemented to manage the spread and ensure ICUs aren't overwhelmed.

At that rate it'll take just over ten years to vaccinate the country.

Again, I don't like this but I can understand the logic behind the decision of the government.

That's BS. Takeaway pints in city centre and hundreds of people hanging around. That's fine but being opposite sides of a tennis net isn't? If there was a Q&A after Martin's speech he should be asked what'll happen end if January? There'll be 50,000 people vaccinated. But vaccinations are 09.00 to 5pm weekdays only. Only in Ireland. Gob****es.

At that rate it'll take ten years to vaccinate the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Glebee

bailey99 wrote: »
    That's BS. Takeaway pints in city centre and hundreds of people hanging around. That's fine but being opposite sides of a tennis net isn't? If there was a Q&A after Martin's speech he should be asked what'll happen end if January? There'll be 50,000 people vaccinated. But vaccinations are 09.00 to 5pm weekdays only. Only in Ireland. Gob****es.

There was a Q&A after the speech, RTE did not show it, SKY News had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭enricoh

Are driving ranges closed too? I'm more into the range than a boggy course this time of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

Was it asked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

A bit off topic but the reason the vaccinations are only 9-5 Mon-Fri is because that's all we need to administer the supply of vaccines that we are being supplied. I'm sure as supply numbers increase the vaccine will be administered at weekends too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is the biggest experiment of what people will accept in the modern age and the answer is almost anything.

It's that or overrun the hospitals......I suppose there are certain people out there that have no problems accepting that.

Read few posts. Median age today is 34 and 66% are under 45. So by and large, the cases being reported gave a bad flu. ICU no increases.

You walk past and closer to people in supermarkets than on a golf course. It's a joke. I can meet someone and go for a run but I can't meet them and go for a walk (further away from.them) on a golf course.

People thought the last lockdown was the last lockdown. We didn't get 14 days and it was to be shut down as per NPHET again. This one will go til end if February maybe Paddy's Day. And I reckon there'll be another lockdown after this one again. I'd say 11 weeks lockdown here and another 4-6 week one end of April.

People need to think hard about paying the annual sub. I'm leaving it off this year.dont see the value when a quarter of 2020 the course was closed and I'd expect it to be more again in 2021.
    A portion of the 3200 odd people that were part of the numbers today and yesterday will ineveitibly end up in hospital and a portion of that cohort will end up in ICU. These may not happen for 1, 2 3 or 4 weeks from now.
    It's a pity that 9 months in, people don't grasp this.
    No one, other that a few people who don't grasp the above thought that the last set of restrictions was the last.
    The reasons we are going through rolling lockdowns is to control the numbers in hostpital and ICU. If the numbers dictate, further restrictions are needed.
    This is not being done for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

What’s BS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

almostover wrote: »

Thanks for the info...

Was it asked?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Glebee wrote: »
    No

You sure there was a q and a ?? RTÉ showed him leaving the podium and walking away after his speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭This is it

My booking confirmed this evening my tee time is confirmed :/ will probably get a call in the morning to cancel

hawkelady wrote: »
    You sure there was a q and a ?? RTÉ showed him leaving the podium and walking away after his speech.

Q&A was on Sky News, unless im hallucinating badly. Was sort of surprised that RTE were not covering it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Q&A was on Sky News, unless im hallucinating badly. Was sort of surprised that RTE were not covering it as well.

Got email to say course closed until further notice

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Rocket99

GUI have let us down big time.
    Is there even a point continuing membership into 2021 with the uncertainty around getting out and playing. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Rocket99 wrote:
    GUI have let us down big time.

What did you expect them to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

kippy wrote: »
    It's that or overrun the hospitals......I suppose there are certain people out there that have no problems accepting that.

The hospitals are not overrun and the Government made zero provisions to expand icu capacity if they really believed they would be. Nobody is getting COVID in a ‘non essential’ business they are getting it at home and will continue to do so until the holiday period is over. People have been on the piss for the whole month, destroying more lives by another lockdown is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Stacksey wrote: »

Yeah they made a great job of things in England.

The hospitals are not overrun and the Government made zero provisions to expand icu capacity if they really believed they would be. Nobody is getting COVID in a ‘non essential’ business they are getting it at home and will continue to do so until the holiday period is over. People have been on the piss for the whole month, destroying more lives by another lockdown is laughable.
    You reckon if things are left as they are that hospitals won't be overrun?
    Seriously?
    Agree on ICU capacity, but there's only so much that could have been done on that side of things....
    And in Fairness you really don't want hundreds and hundreds of people in ICU even if you have the capacity ...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

GOLF IRELAND ANNOUNCEMENT AT 8.45PM

To: Club Communication Officers

FAO: All members

Note: This relates to golf in the Republic of Ireland only, other clubs copied for information purposes.

We note with regret that the Irish Government have reinstated the original Level 5 restrictions, which confirms the closure of golf courses along with all other sporting facilities in the Republic of Ireland. The Department of Sport have confirmed to us that the restriction on golf and other sports will be effective from midnight tonight (30th Dec).

We urge all of our affiliated clubs to continue to adhere to the public health restrictions and we will remain engaged with the government authorities of both jurisdictions to ensure the return of our sport across the island of Ireland as soon as possible.

ENDS

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

enricoh wrote: »
    Are driving ranges closed too? I'm more into the range than a boggy course this time of the year!

Yes, they fall into the category of gyms etc from what I can make of the regulations

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

There was a Q&A after the speech, RTE did not show it, SKY News had it.

The full press conference was on the rte news channel and it don’t start until 18.35

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Just as a side question - why was golf closed tonight rather than tomorrow with other leisure activities?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭eggy81

Is golf open tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

eggy81 wrote: »
    Is golf open tomorrow

No

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Just as a side question - why was golf closed tonight rather than tomorrow with other leisure activities?

All extra level 5 restrictions come in at midnight tonight. 5k limit, golf, tennis etc. For unknown reasons gyms, swimming pools etc given until close of business tomorrow along with retail. which seems a bit crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

copacetic wrote: »
    All extra level 5 restrictions come in at midnight tonight. 5k limit, golf, tennis etc. For unknown reasons gyms, swimming pools etc given until close of business tomorrow along with retail. which seems a bit crazy.

Thanks. Was just wondering what the difference was.

Advertisement