Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

see yea all after the May bank holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I'd take everything from Leaky Leo with a grain of salt.

Yup he almost was saying the complete opposite the day before. He says what gets his name on the the front of the papers

It is awful that FG let his incompetence, petulance, smugness etc etc still be a representative of the party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

Good news for a change, looks like we’ll be back in business!

Leo on The Tonight Show with Matt Cooper saying they’ll look to go to Level 4 from March 5.

My question is will golfers be allowed to travel across county boundaries, if required, to play at their home club? This was allowed in December under level 3 restrictions.

I hope that happens but can't imagine it in a million years tbh. I think it'll depend on how cautious they want to be with the overall thing. After the shindig in Clifden last year golf's image wrongly took a battering and if golf is allowed back before retail there'll be whole world of whinging.
    I'd say 3 weeks later when the clocks change is more likely.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hopefully lvl4 by March, but we'll still have travel restrictions. Same county or tough luck i'd imagine.

Hopefully not a specific distance restriction, as i'm about 50km from my future club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Yup he almost was saying the complete opposite the day before. He says what gets his name on the the front of the papers

It is awful that FG let his incompetence, petulance, smugness etc etc still be a representative of the party

Watched it last night he was spectacularly non-committal and offered no substance at all.

Standard fare really, hopefully they will see sense that golf was open for 3-4 months last year and had no impact on numbers at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Hate saying it but I’m betting week Apr 12th after St Patrick’s/Easter bank holidays...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

higster wrote: »
    Hate saying it but I’m betting week Apr 12th after St Patrick’s/Easter bank holidays...

I tend to agree with you here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

I'm hitting to a practice net most days... it is making the lack of real golf so much worse!!! Would kill for a game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭slingerz

Kiith wrote: »
    Hopefully lvl4 by March, but we'll still have travel restrictions. Same county or tough luck i'd imagine.

Hopefully not a specific distance restriction, as i'm about 50km from my future club.

50KM? That’s a trip every Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Ya that's an awful long way, is that by choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

35km each way for me, about 40-45 mins. Makes is a long day

I reckon kilths drive is probably quicker than mine ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

slingerz wrote: »
    50KM? That’s a trip every Sunday

Stuck behind yank who can’t use gear sticks all summer too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

woodyg wrote: »
    see yea all after the May bank holiday

I'm afraid after Philip Nolan's interview on the radio today, you could be right. Setting the country up for a VERY slow and deliberate opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

I'm afraid after Philip Nolan's interview on the radio today, you could be right. Setting the country up for a VERY slow and deliberate opening.

:(

What was he saying? Were there any specifics mentioned?

:(

What was he saying? Were there any specifics mentioned?

No specifics per se. The opening of the country will be based on priorities first i.e schools, construction etc, but even that would be under a highly phased roll out. The only light at the end of the tunnel was the actual phrase he used....."high priority, low risk". I'm hoping golf comes under low risk but he seemed extremely cautious and basically said the country would be living with restrictions for a long, long time to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

No specifics per se. The opening of the country will be based on priorities first i.e schools, construction etc, but even that would be under a highly phased roll out. The only light at the end of the tunnel was the actual phrase he used....."high priority, low risk". I'm hoping golf comes under low risk but he seemed extremely cautious and basically said the country would be living with restrictions for a long, long time to come.

I don’t think that golf will be very high on the priority list.......quite the opposite, in fact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I don’t think that golf will be very high on the priority list.......quite the opposite, in fact!

His point was low risk.

Anyway... You wouldn't want to think about it too much. We are actually allowed to walk the course right now. In small groups even. Just not hit a ball while we do it. Then it becomes a public health order breach.
    Its kinda mental when you put it like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Not great comments today from An Taoiseach. Said only schools and construction will open March 5th.

And like a flock of sheep the GUI will just accept it......

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Golf Ireland wont have a choice in the matter. :( Just the same as if a hairdresser decided to open off their own bat they'd be shut down immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭willabur

what do you expect to happen exactly?
    Revolt?

willabur wrote: »
    Revolt?

You know something, at this stage yeah, I would probably join a protest to try reopen Ireland a bit quicker than Martin is allowing. Just construction and schools in march?? That's nothing! They should never have been closed in the first place FFS. Golf is the safest sport to play in these times. Open the courses. Do wonders for our mental health at least....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭blue note

I think people are grossly overestimating how much power golf Ireland have. When people say they shouldn't accept it, what do you mean? What should they do? It's not as if they can get public support to reopen the courses. We're not particularly popular with non golfers and with everything else closed, I can't imagine anyone would support golf reopening. So the government holding firm would probably make them look good if anything.

I just don't understand what power golf ireland have here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

blue note wrote: »
    I think people are grossly overestimating how much power golf Ireland have. When people say they shouldn't accept it, what do you mean? What should they do? It's not as if they can get public support to reopen the courses. We're not particularly popular with non golfers and with everything else closed, I can't imagine anyone would support golf reopening. So the government holding firm would probably make them look good if anything.

I just don't understand what power golf ireland have here.

+1
    And no government is going to waste time distinguishing between different sports and giving them different rules, its just asking for a fight on multiple fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

willabur wrote: »
    Revolt?

Im off to write some graffiti........seems to work in other places!!

GreeBo wrote: »
    +1
    And no government is going to waste time distinguishing between different sports and giving them different rules, its just asking for a fight on multiple fights.

And when the "elite" amateurs of the GAA are allowed back in march, what will be the excuse then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

This is the same narrative that arose the last time case numbers began to drop during restrictions.
    The so called failure of the GUI to fight the corner of golfers and succumb to the government’s directives.

It’s laughable really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

And when the "elite" amateurs of the GAA are allowed back in march, what will be the excuse then?

Unfortunately they're viewed as being from the masses and "one of us" so to speak. Golf, particularly after "Golfgate", is still viewed, completely incorrectly, as being for the "elites".

I wish it was back as much as any of us on here, but it would be a PR disaster for them if golf came back before retail and schools. You can hear it now "....ohhh yeah, looking after their own again, typical........"

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

I wouldn’t be surprised if when inter county GAA comes back, if the GUI wanted to run off the provincial championships, the Irish amateur open and close championship and some select scratch cups that door would be ajar.

As much as the GAA is far from perfect, I guarantee you that if the ballygobackwards Junior Bs are back playing, the golf courses will be open, so I’m not sure what the problem is.

All this other talk of the GUI rolling over and taking it, what do you expect to happen? The message at all levels, is stay at home, do some exercise locally but other than that don’t do anything or do go anywhere you don’t need to. The thought that the government would carve out one solitary sport for special beneficial treatment is hilarious.

Stay at home lads, enjoy the golf on telly, roll some puts across the carpet and by the time the weather is half decent the courses will be open again. It’s fairly easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I wouldn’t be surprised if when inter county GAA comes back, if the GUI wanted to run off the provincial championships, the Irish amateur open and close championship and some select scratch cups that door would be ajar.

As much as the GAA is far from perfect, I guarantee you that if the ballygobackwards Junior Bs are back playing, the golf courses will be open, so I’m not sure what the problem is.

All this other talk of the GUI rolling over and taking it, what do you expect to happen? The message at all levels, is stay at home, do some exercise locally but other than that don’t do anything or do go anywhere you don’t need to. The thought that the government would carve out one solitary sport for special beneficial treatment is hilarious.

Stay at home lads, enjoy the golf on telly, roll some puts across the carpet and by the time the weather is half decent the courses will be open again. It’s fairly easy.

Spot on here. While I'm no GAA fan there is no comparison between inter county players and your average golfer, those elite amateur golf events might have some chance but us normal hackers are equivalent to club players. If club GAA is back on then golf clubs will be open. The only exception Catherine Martin made for GAA is "elite" sport which is inter county only for the moment until the club championship is back which won't be until after the All Irelands though there isn't a schedule at the moment AFAIK.

As you said there is no hope the government are going to open just golf or make an exception for one sport and its genuinely hilarious that people are talking about protesting over it. I can just imagine a bunch of middle aged golfers protesting outside government buildings :D

Advertisement