Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭benny79

Agree.. had a lad call to the job the other day to swap a laptop.. he had a badge to say he was medically exempt from wearing a mask and had been vaccinated. Brought him up to a isolated room etc.. I had one member of staff straight away kick off about him not wearing a mask. Same fella smokes 40 a day and is a lazy cu#t.. I let him rant & get annoyed for most the day before I informed him he was exempt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ForeRight wrote:
    Need to seriously reevaluate your life if you’re in the business of taking pics to snitch on people when you don’t know any of the facts as to why they are doing something.

Send the video to Golf Ireland. I think Luttrellstown should be asked to explain themselves, but this isn't the place to do it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not sure what the thinking is here, Boards is publicly accessed, is it really doing golf any good posting videos like that?
    If you want to do that then fire ahead but do it somewhere else.

We do not want flaming posts like that, soon afterwards courses are being named out.

I will delete the video but leave the following posts that discuss it but let that be an end to it.

No more discussion about breaking restrictions please and no more naming of golf clubs along the same line.

My mint Tesla Model 3 for quick sale

Tesla Model 3 link

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

benny79 wrote: »
    Agree.. had a lad call to the job the other day to swap a laptop.. he had a badge to say he was medically exempt from wearing a mask and had been vaccinated. Brought him up to a isolated room etc.. I had one member of staff straight away kick off about him not wearing a mask. Same fella smokes 40 a day and is a lazy cu#t.. I let him rant & get annoyed for most the day before I informed him he was exempt :D

I don’t buy the exemption crap. My ma has emphysema. Bad. Basically has an oxygen tank with her all the time so she can breath properly.
    She wears a mask when necessary.
    If she can do it, anyone can.

I saw a knob queuing up for Dunne’s one day inside blanch shopping centre. No mask. No shame. Then he whips out his little blue inhaler to show the shop attendant he has asthma. I was able to wear a mask but keep my own inhaler in my pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭slingerz

I counted 19 people, adults & children, on the 11th fairway in my club today when out walking. They were distinct groups out for a walk. Ironic to think the most I’d have seen if Golf was open was 4 every 10/12 minutes at most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

If any of you are in Grafton street today please cover up the club crest on your top.
    It could really lead to bad optics for golf again.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

ForeRight wrote: »
    Need to seriously reevaluate your life if you’re in the business of taking pics to snitch on people when you don’t know any of the facts as to why they are doing something.

This pandemic has really shown certain people to be very sad and pathetic.

I follow guidelines as do probably 90% of the public. Not a hope I’d be up in arms over seeing something like lads on a golf course. I’d just assume they were pros(even if they were not)

I heard of a man approach a group of kids having a kick about in a park a few weeks ago. He approached the adult giving out saying he was reporting them to the gards. What a sad sad existence that man must live.

Fully understand your views, it was me that filmed it after watching for a while and they weren't the only ones playing BTW, I was on my way home from work and noticed the gates open and I stopped really to have a look around, drove back out and stopped on road when this group were passing pros they definitely were not staff maybe but that's not allowed and it might have come across wrong but I envied them playing but at the same time I was thinking that if this is happening here how many more courses are open on the QT. I sent the video to 2 WhatsApp golf groups I'm in.. I DID NOT POST OR SEND TO IRISH GOLFER to publish, someone did the dirty on me and I'm not pleased. Hope to be back soon

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    I'll post a still if you want and these were no elite golfers... I took the video today
    DID NOT POST OR SEND TO IRISH GOLFER to publish, someone did the dirty on me and I'm not pleased

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Fully understand your views, it was me that filmed it after watching for a while and they weren't the only ones playing BTW, I was on my way home from work and noticed the gates open and I stopped really to have a look around, drove back out and stopped on road when this group were passing pros they definitely were not staff maybe but that's not allowed and it might have come across wrong but I envied them playing but at the same time I was thinking that if this is happening here how many more courses are open on the QT. I sent the video to 2 WhatsApp golf groups I'm in.. I DID NOT POST OR SEND TO IRISH GOLFER to publish, someone did the dirty on me and I'm not pleased. Hope to be back soon

You must work in a critical industry?

You must work in a critical industry?

You know I do, don't be trying to stir things,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Listen each to their own but how could anyone post a video like that to any social media platform (WhatsApp included) and not expect it to get out. Naive or stupid, either or it was poorly judged.

If the person who was so aggrieved and felt the need to record it, then IMO the right thing to do would have been to send it on the the club in question and at least give them the right to reply.

Without knowing any of the facts the club has now been labelled guilty in the court of public opinion. Which is not fair, and given the track record of posts I’ve read I’d imagine was the desired outcome.

None of us are innocent in this pandemic, I’m sure we have all broke some form or protocol but I’ll argue forever that we should at least have the presumption of innocence or the right to reply

Listen each to their own but how could anyone post a video like that to any social media platform (WhatsApp included) and not expect it to get out. Naive or stupid, either or it was poorly judged.

If the person who was so aggrieved and felt the need to record it, then IMO the right thing to do would have been to send it on the the club in question and at least give them the right to reply.

Without knowing any of the facts the club has now been labelled guilty in the court of public opinion. Which is not fair, and given the track record of posts I’ve read I’d imagine was the desired outcome.

None of us are innocent in this pandemic, I’m sure we have all broke some form or protocol but I’ll argue forever that we should at least have the presumption of innocence or the right to reply

I did try to contact the club directly afterwards as I made a phone call on way home, I then emailed them when I got home(all before this video was posted) still no reply from them, The question I'd ask now is how am I the villain in this as I did not blatantly break the rules however stupid I think they are. I've paid a big membership fee to my club back in December and have not seen the inside of the gates as yet and I'd normally play right through the winter. As I tried to point out before I sent it to 2 of my groups like you and everyone else send stuff to your WhatsApp groups. You don't expect them to forward to media, jesus christ if that was to happen we'd all be in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Some reasonable points but in fairness there could be several other videos of these made by non-golfers in circulation.
    I think the club has a case to answer. All clubs are supposed to be closed. No golf is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

I sent it to 2 of my groups like you and everyone else send stuff to your WhatsApp groups. You don't expect them to forward to media, jesus christ if that was to happen we'd all be in trouble

We now have confirmation, it was both of the below
    Naive or stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

I see no problem with the person who recorded it. Personally I wouldn’t have put it online. But don’t think that’s a big deal either.
    The fact is it still happened. By not circulating it and people not viewing it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.
    The ones at fault are the people playing, the person recording didn’t make them go out playing a game
    The attitude of cover it up and pretend it never happened is poor form

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

If the pat 12 months and this thread have taught me anything it’s that I made a great decision in never joining the boards society. What a bunch of *******.

When golf returns make sure you play as a single, sprint from the 18th to the car and if you have to sneeze please do it out over an OB post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

idle wrote: »
    If the pat 12 months and this thread have taught me anything it’s that I made a great decision in never joining the boards society. What a bunch of *******.

When golf returns make sure you play as a single, sprint from the 18th to the car and if you have to sneeze please do it out over an OB post.

Well if you change your mind at all, with an attitude like that you can consider yourself not welcome.

The boards golf society is one of the best bunch of lads and ladies I have ever had the privilege of playing golf with, having a few beers with, enjoying trips away with and becoming friends with.

I did try to contact the club directly afterwards as I made a phone call on way home, I then emailed them when I got home(all before this video was posted) still no reply from them, The question I'd ask now is how am I the villain in this as I did not blatantly break the rules however stupid I think they are. I've paid a big membership fee to my club back in December and have not seen the inside of the gates as yet and I'd normally play right through the winter. As I tried to point out before I sent it to 2 of my groups like you and everyone else send stuff to your WhatsApp groups. You don't expect them to forward to media, jesus christ if that was to happen we'd all be in trouble

Happy to take my comments back, so. Did not realise you had contacted the club

I’d argue that from all the guys and girls I’ve met in the society that they are for the most part like minded golf enthusiasts that are all adult enough to have a heated discussion, even an argument and still put it aside when it comes to playing golf.

You know I do, don't be trying to stir things,

I genuinely don't - there is a Golfnut and head here ?

• Advertisement

I don't think you should judge people by a forum - very different in real life :D

I think people are too cranky to be debating anything at the moment - the lads playing golf were a pack of clowns. There is no other type of conclusion.

I genuinely don't - there is a Golfnut and head here ?

Played with both of us in Kilkee Castle

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Seve OB wrote: »
    Well if you change your mind at all, with an attitude like that you can consider yourself not welcome.

The boards golf society is one of the best bunch of lads and ladies I have ever had the privilege of playing golf with, having a few beers with, enjoying trips away with and becoming friends with.

With respect Seve totally the wrong tact, the society should invite the person to an outing and let them get hopefully a better impression. We are a little guilty at times of being keyboard warriors including myself but when you meet the posters in person that you might have had a difference of opinion with on line in my experience it has been a pleasant surprise to see all your preconceptions washed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

benji79 wrote: »
    I see no problem with the person who recorded it. Personally I wouldn’t have put it online. But don’t think that’s a big deal either.
    The fact is it still happened. By not circulating it and people not viewing it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.
    The ones at fault are the people playing, the person recording didn’t make them go out playing a game
    The attitude of cover it up and pretend it never happened is poor form

The question I’d have is does the person who shot the video believe this was a health risk? I don’t, for that reason I’d have just moved on. I’d definitely mention it to my mates but I know enough not to be sharing videos. I don’t see what’s gained by it

Played with both of us in Kilkee Castle

I don't know what industry you are in - there are a good few journeys in cars that we all know is bull**** - but if you say it was necessary . I'll take you for your word.

Even - If I think it is bad form the lads playing. I'm not a fan of filming anyone in a public place - or photos.

I don't know what industry you are in - there are a good few journeys in cars that we all know is bull**** - but if you say it was necessary . I'll take you for your word.

Even - If I think it is bad form the lads playing. I'm not a fan of filming anyone in a public place - or photos.

Just for the record, 95% of my work is maintanence in the HSE, that's where I was coming from on Friday early as I was finished early. Essential and call outs only

Just for the record, 95% of my work is maintanence in the HSE, that's where I was coming from on Friday early as I was finished early. Essential and call outs only

Again - the lads were caught flat out . But just look around - building going on - roads full - beaches full that are 5km from anywhere.

There is necessary journeys and necessary work - but if we are all being honest. There is serious bull**** going on everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Again - the lads were caught flat out . But just look around - building going on - roads full - beaches full that are 5km from anywhere.

There is necessary journeys and necessary work - but if we are all being honest. There is serious bull**** going on everywhere.
    Yeah but this is a forum dedicated to golf and what Golfhead65 spotted was golf bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

If I had the option to play golf tomorrow I would as I know the risk is negligible

Many people not honest enough admit that

The logic to not allowing golf is in itself illogical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

As Captain of The Boards Society 2021.
    I totally respect your decision.

Advertisement