Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

gypsy79 wrote: »
    If I had the option to play golf tomorrow I would as I know the risk is negligible

Many people not honest enough admit that

The logic to not allowing golf is in itself illogical

You’re right the risk is neglible
    Risk becomes far greater if you extend that opportunity to every golfer in the entire country and they start doing stupid **** as they were doing when open before

Many people not honest enough to admit that

The wailing in here about not being able to get out and hit a few balls is tone deaf when you see some of the real pain people are in out there- and I’m someone who would be out playing every day if they were open

Golfers and gym goers definetly reaching new heights of tone deaf entitled whinging in recent weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I in fact go even further. All outdoor sport should be allowed as there is negligible risk

Stop this nanny state. It is quite clear our government doesn’t understand modelling

Our people will continue to uneducated buffoons once this ends. Cycle will repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

gypsy79 wrote: »
    All outdoor sport should be allowed as there is negligible risk

Stop this nanny state. It is quite clear our government doesn’t understand modelling

This is very good news but you can’t keep this to yourself. You need to email your local TD so you can explain the modelling to them.

It’s urgent because we’ve lost too much time already with the courses closed unnecessarily. We need to get our politicians to understand the modelling the way you do, preferably asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Raisins wrote: »
    This is very good news but you can’t keep this to yourself. You need to email your local TD so you can explain the modelling to them.

It’s urgent because we’ve lost too much time already with the courses closed unnecessarily. We need to get our politicians to understand the modelling the way you do, preferably asap.

What do you hope to achieve with this type of post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Days like this would lead me to ponder if golf and outdoor sport will really have to wait until April 5th to reopen. The 'stupid s#$*' mentioned (of which Id wager there was v little to begin with) would be completely mitigated by clubhouses and restaurants remaining shut (and there have been no serious campaigns, from golfers at least, to open either) so players will literally drive to the course, play and drive home. They may stop for petrol and or groceries, but they have to do that anyway.

The 5k restriction is also looking increasingly more ridiculous. So very arbitrary and almost comically unmanageable; one can only feel desperately sorry for the guards trying to decide who's lying and who isnt. In this weather, people are going to meet up. They're going to go to parks and beaches. And, in too many parts of Dublin, when the population density is what it is, the Botanic Gardens, the Phoenix Park, Bull Island, Donabate Beach etc are going to absolutely jammed even if nobody is breaching their 5k limit. And that's the problem right there. The safe and logical solution is to open outdoor sport.

Opening tennis, golf etc will have the effect of filtering people away from these places with zero or negligible additional risk of transmissions. If anything, they will be decreased. If the 5k has to be extended or dismissed altogether to accomodate this, then it should be.

• Advertisement

What do you hope to achieve with this type of post?

It depends on how you view unfiltered nonsense that not only should golf and all sports return because that’s the proportionate response but that it’s not returning because the State doesn’t know how to interpret covid modelling and that the restrictions are illogical.

That type of opinion deserves to be treated with contempt for a lot of reasons that are obvious - it’s the basis upon which all of the far right conspiracies on the virus are based. Thousands of Irish people have died from this virus. If these people have a secret key to the models they should contact their TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭benny79

Days like this would lead me to ponder if golf and outdoor sport will really have to wait until April 5th to reopen. The 'stupid s#$*' mentioned (of which Id wager there was v little to begin with) would be completely mitigated by clubhouses and restaurants remaining shut (and there have been no serious campaigns, from golfers at least, to open either) so players will literally drive to the course, play and drive home. They may stop for petrol and or groceries, but they have to do that anyway.

The 5k restriction is also looking increasingly more ridiculous. So very arbitrary and almost comically unmanageable; one can only feel desperately sorry for the guards trying to decide who's lying and who isnt. In this weather, people are going to meet up. They're going to go to parks and beaches. And, in too many parts of Dublin, when the population density is what it is, the Botanic Gardens, the Phoenix Park, Bull Island, Donabate Beach etc are going to absolutely jammed even if nobody is breaching their 5k limit. And that's the problem right there. The safe and logical solution is to open outdoor sport.

Opening tennis, golf etc will have the effect of filtering people away from these places with zero or negligible additional risk of transmissions. If anything, they will be decreased. If the 5k has to be extended or dismissed altogether to accomodate this, then it should be.

Very good post. I agree totally. As a Irish nation we tend to moan and give out about a lot of things yet do fcuk all about it..people's mental health is been pushed to the limit.. yes there is a dangerous virus, but some of the restrictions are just daft! Even some of the guards aren't arsed. Look at the amount of people that marched yesterday I was shocked at the amount! men, women and children. A few bad elements gave it bad press but it reminded me of when people marched against water charges ( I wasn't there by the way) but what I have noticed is people are arguing and turning on each other over this virus and we really have a shocking government and sadly know one better to replace them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

benny79 wrote: »
    Very good post. I agree totally. As a Irish nation we tend to moan and give out about a lot of things yet do fcuk all about it..people's mental health is been pushed to the limit.. yes there is a dangerous virus, but some of the restrictions are just daft! Even some of the guards aren't arsed. Look at the amount of people that marched yesterday I was shocked at the amount! men, women and children. A few bad elements gave it bad press but it reminded me of when people marched against water charges ( I wasn't there by the way) but what I have noticed is people are arguing and turning on each other over this virus and we really have a shocking government and sadly know one better to replace them!

I laugh when I read people going on about the Phoenix park being packed.
    500,000 people live within 5k of the park. Obviously they are not making up all the people who are in the park but it does highlight how unenforceable the 5k rule is.

It depends on how you view unfiltered nonsense that not only should golf and all sports return because that’s the proportionate response but that it’s not returning because the State doesn’t know how to interpret covid modelling and that the restrictions are illogical.

That type of opinion deserves to be treated with contempt for a lot of reasons that are obvious - it’s the basis upon which all of the far right conspiracies on the virus are based. Thousands of Irish people have died from this virus. If these people have a secret key to the models they should contact their TD.

I blame social media and forums like this tbh
    There’s a lot of thickos out there that think they no better than people who have spent years studying immunology and epedemiology
    Back in the day they had no outlet for their I’ll informed nonsense but now....
    Displays a massive lack of resilience if not getting out for a round or 2 is driving people this demented
    Would love to see how these people would have managed the famine, probable would have spent it going around telling people their just a bit hungry nothing to worry about

Just to spell it out for the slow learners there are people losing family members , jobs, businesses,struggling to pay debts etc
    Put the inability to play a game in perspective and stop acting like spoiled entitled teenagers- if I heard some of the whinging I’m seeing hear out of my 10 year old they’d be getting the back of my hand

• Advertisement

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    Just to spell it out for the slow learners there are people losing family members , jobs, businesses,struggling to pay debts etc
    Put the inability to play a game in perspective and stop acting like spoiled entitled teenagers- if I heard some of the whinging I’m seeing hear out of my 10 year old they’d be getting the back of my hand

The problem is, none of these awful circumstances will be worsened by opening golf courses. Not one of them. Therefore, it becomes imposition of certain rules for the sake of it. And I do have a problem with that. A justifiable problem, not an immoral or unethical one.

The problem is, none of these awful circumstances will be worsened by opening golf courses. Not one of them. Therefore, it becomes imposition of certain rules foqt the sake of it. And I do have a problem with that. A justifiable problem, not an immoral or unethical one.

Actually people losing loved ones could be worsened by golf course reopening due to other behaviours around golf
    People can close their eyes and put fingers in their ears and stomp their feet all they want to try and ignore this buts a stone cold fact

It was an opinion that differs from yours.

The problem is, none of these awful circumstances will be worsened by opening golf courses. Not one of them. Therefore, it becomes imposition of certain rules for the sake of it.

How can you set out that type of claim so baldly. That’s not a fact it’s your opinion.

Actually people losing loved ones could be worsened by golf course reopening due to other behaviours around golf
    People can close their eyes and put fingers in their ears and stomp their feet all they want to try and ignore this buts a stone cold fact

How would it be worse if golf clubs/courses opened?

Are there figures to back this up or just your opinion?

You do realise this is a golf forum right? So people are going to discuss golf. People know about the virus. sure I know people who have had family members die from it and still think some of the restrictions are daft. We are going to have to live with it. Doesn't mean we cant open courses and other outdoor sports in a safe environment. Small businesses too. That woman that opened her salon during the week, do you think she doesn't know about the virus? I'm sure she done that out of desperation. I'm also sure she had measures in place to make it as safe as possible. My job is still opened and has been all through the pandemic. People know the risks and it's up to individuals as adults to take the necessary precautions. Same way people can choose to smoke even though it can cause cancer.

It was an opinion that differs from yours.

Not really it’s a lie.

Truth = nphet is an expert emergency group which design and interpret the models based on all of the data and advises the government which imposes the restrictions. (Rightly or wrongly). Thousands of Irish people have died. Thousands more would die if there were no restrictions in place. In this world you argue whether a restriction on golf is proportionate which is a matter of opinion. For the record I think I they should open when the cases get to low levels if they think it’s relatively safe. That’s my opinion.

Lie = there’s no reason for these restrictions at all. The government doesn’t understand the modelling. They’re illogical and serve no purpose whatsoever. In this world the restrictions are actually a massive incompetent mistake which achieve nothing.

benny79 wrote: »
    You do realise this is a golf forum right? So people are going to discuss golf. People know about the virus. sure I know people who have had family members die from it and still think some of the restrictions are daft. We are going to have to live with it. Doesn't mean we cant open courses and other outdoor sports in a safe environment. Small businesses too. That woman that opened her salon during the week, do you think she doesn't know about the virus? I'm sure she done that out of desperation. I'm also sure she had measures in place to make it as safe as possible. My job is still opened and has been all through the pandemic. People know the risks and it's up to individuals as adults to take the necessary precautions. Same way people can choose to smoke even though it can cause cancer.

Don’t get dragged into it Benny, some are just looking for a reaction

How can you set out that type of claim so baldly. That’s not a fact it’s your opinion.

Ive explained how reopening sport will most likely decrease transmissions. Blaming golf for spreading Covid now that related hospitality has shut no longer makes sense. It's exercise, and as long as we are allowed to exercise outdoors despite the negligible infections that may result from this, golf should be allowed.

For the record I'm not against restrictions but have the right ones in place.. like other countries are doing. Do away with 5km it cant be policed anyway. change it to just travel in your county of residence. Open up businesses if the numbers are low in that area same with sports. If numbers r high lock down that county not the country etc..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Having a different opinion is fine but this post isn’t debating anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

The only problem with this is that there are some people here who are to daft to see this logic.
    The bigger problem is that the government don’t seem to see it either.

Not really it’s a lie.

Truth = nphet is an expert emergency group which design and interpret the models based on all of the data and advises the government which imposes the restrictions. (Rightly or wrongly). Thousands of Irish people have died. Thousands more would die if there were no restrictions in place. In this world you argue whether a restriction on golf is proportionate which is a matter of opinion. For the record I think I they should open when the cases get to low levels if they think it’s relatively safe. That’s my opinion.

Lie = there’s no reason for these restrictions at all. The government doesn’t understand the modelling. They’re illogical and serve no purpose whatsoever. In this world the restrictions are actually a massive incompetent mistake which achieve nothing.

Do you know what, actually you are right.
    The immunologists know how to control the vaccine and have given their recommendations. The immunologists are not interested in anything else.

The government are supposed to know how to run the country and take the guidances of professional people in drawing up their decisions.

The problem is we are not shut down like NPHET wants us to be or in a way that will control the virus. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I’m all up for a real lockdown, anywhere between 2-4 weeks. NOTHING open, just like everybody thought was going to happen a year ago when there was a daft rush on the supermarket shelves. No sport, no parks, no beaches, no nothing. As we know the virus only lives and is transmittable for a few days, so if we have a proper circuit breaker we can really nip it in the bud. I’m not saying it will completely go away then. We also need to actually impose proper restrictions on foreign travel etc to ensure we control it. Other countries can and have done it. We are a island so have a big advantage here, but yet we haven’t got a clue.

But all we have got are have half arsed measures in place that allow hundreds of people to gather together in schools, shops and parks etc but yet a few dozen people are not allowed share a hundred acres.

And then we have blinkered people who don’t have 2 logical brain cells to rub together.

We are going nowhere fast with this ridiculous situation, it’s high time it changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I blame social media and forums like this tbh
    There’s a lot of thickos out there that think they no better than people who have spent years studying immunology and epedemiology
    Back in the day they had no outlet for their I’ll informed nonsense but now....
    Displays? a massive lack of resilience, if not getting out for a round or 2 is driving people this demented.
    Would? love to see how these people would have managed the famine, probable would have spent it going around telling people their just a bit hungry nothing to worry about

:D

Honestly if you are going to call people "thickos" - have a look at your own grammar and writing first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

I've heard enough bull, I'm just back from a walk which is perceived to be OK to do and in a small grassy space I passed no bigger than a golf Green I estimate there was 60-70 people sitting around on blankets and chairs and not an eyelid is batted but come on here and say that golf should be open where you have a max of 4 people in an area of 500 yds by 100 and all of a sudden we are the root cause of this so called continuing pandemic. Let's call a spade a spade, for every person sticking to the draconian rules in place by our inept government and nphet there are 2 not bothering that is the truth of all this, lockdown Irish style doesnt work

I think people are too cranky to debate anything at the moment. :D

You can definitely see a change in the mood and activity out there. This is a bit out there - and not unheard of. But you could make a compelling argument that courses should be open to the public to walk on.

Perhaps this is happening a bit around the country. I've seen it a bit more the more this has gone on.

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    I've heard enough bull, I'm just back from a walk which is perceived to be OK to do and in a small grassy space I passed no bigger than a golf Green I estimate there was 60-70 people sitting around on blankets and chairs and not an eyelid is batted but come on here and say that golf should be open where you have a max of 4 people in an area of 500 yds by 100 and all of a sudden we are the root cause of this so called continuing pandemic. Let's call a spade a spade, for every person sticking to the draconian rules in place by our inept government and nphet there are 2 not bothering that is the truth of all this, lockdown Irish style doesnt work

It is rare I agree with any of your posts - but I would have to agree at this stage the lockdown - is an Irish lockdown.

Was told of companies open - pubs open (Irish sort of open) and more lads playing golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Russman

It is rare I agree with any of your posts - but I would have to agree at this stage the lockdown - is an Irish lockdown.

Was told of companies open - pubs open (Irish sort of open) and more lads playing golf.

This exactly.
    For whatever reason our first reaction to any rule is “how can I get round that” whereas some other countries think “how do I comply with that”
    I don’t think anyone would claim golf isn’t one of the safest things we could be doing, but it’s about optics as well. I want golf back as much as the next golfer but I can see how the whinging and moaning will increase if it gets the nod ahead of certain other aspects of life.

Russman wrote: »
    This exactly.
    For whatever reason our first reaction to any rule is “how can I get round that” whereas some other countries think “how do I comply with that”
    I don’t think anyone would claim golf isn’t one of the safest things we could be doing, but it’s about optics as well. I want golf back as much as the next golfer but I can see how the whinging and moaning will increase if it gets the nod ahead of certain other aspects of life.

Golf (even from my own friends) is still considered elitist. We went under the radar the last time (till golfgate). But as the mood has changed. Imagine 1000s of people walking past dodging each other - then looking at lads playing golf in an open field to themselves.

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »
    This exactly.

What about the optics of public parks being open. Nobody is listening to the whinging of (and it’s not just golfers doing the whinging) people giving out about groups congregating everywhere and parks being over run.

So I don’t buy the optics excuse.

Advertisement