Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Golf (even from my own friends) is still considered elitist. We went under the radar the last time (till golfgate). But as the mood has changed. Imagine 1000s of people walking past dodging each other - then looking at lads playing golf in an open field to themselves.

Sorry fix I don’t buy that. Golf is not elitist in any way shape or form. Sure don’t you play it :D
    Sure there are a few elitist clubs, but there are elite private member bars in town and elite seats in Croke park and lansdowne road, but there is plenty of opportunity for everyone in society to get involved if they want to without costing a ridiculous fortune.

And if the 1000s of people dodging each other in the park as they look over the fence at the golfers have a problem, we’ll they can always play themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Seve OB wrote: »
    Sorry fix I don’t buy that. Golf is not elitist in any way shape or form. Sure don’t you play it :D
    Sure there are a few elitist clubs, but there are elite private member bars in town and elite seats in Croke park and lansdowne road, but there is plenty of opportunity for everyone in society to get involved if they want to without costing a ridiculous fortune.

And if the 1000s of people dodging each other in the park as they look over the fence at the golfers have a problem, we’ll they can always play themselves.

I obviously know a good bit about who plays golf - but I think maybe you are too on the inside to notice what it is :D
    I guess I was talking about the perception of golf.

Was told lately - "golf is played by a pack of right wing fascist - has a racism issue and is sexist. In America it is played by basically Trump supporters" . :D:D

Good friend of mine said above . I guess even golf itself has acknowledge it has an image problem. Golf has changed massively. But at the moment it would just take a scratch from the surface to upset the public.

I guess golf will have to open up in some degree of alignment with other things. I personally wouldn't recommend becoming an outlier with the public at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    I've heard enough bull, I'm just back from a walk which is perceived to be OK to do and in a small grassy space I passed no bigger than a golf Green I estimate there was 60-70 people sitting around on blankets and chairs and not an eyelid is batted but come on here and say that golf should be open where you have a max of 4 people in an area of 500 yds by 100 and all of a sudden we are the root cause of this so called continuing pandemic. Let's call a spade a spade, for every person sticking to the draconian rules in place by our inept government and nphet there are 2 not bothering that is the truth of all this, lockdown Irish style doesnt work

This x 100

I was in the Park today and passed 80 or 90 people on the path. Came closer to these people then I would ever come to another golfer on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    I've heard enough bull, I'm just back from a walk which is perceived to be OK to do and in a small grassy space I passed no bigger than a golf Green I estimate there was 60-70 people sitting around on blankets and chairs and not an eyelid is batted but come on here and say that golf should be open where you have a max of 4 people in an area of 500 yds by 100 and all of a sudden we are the root cause of this so called continuing pandemic. Let's call a spade a spade, for every person sticking to the draconian rules in place by our inept government and nphet there are 2 not bothering that is the truth of all this, lockdown Irish style doesnt work

Did you get any sneaky videos or photos of them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

:D

Honestly if you are going to call people "thickos" - have a look at your own grammar and writing first :D

Lets not poke fun at people’s spelling and grammar. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Russman

Seve OB wrote: »
    What about the optics of public parks being open. Nobody is listening to the whinging of (and it’s not just golfers doing the whinging) people giving out about groups congregating everywhere and parks being over run.

So I don’t buy the optics excuse.

I agree with you, but as Fix mentioned, it’s the perception of golf. Golf isn’t elitist but it’s still perceived to be by a large part of society. You can almost hear it from the likes of the headbangers in town yesterday “awww yeah they’ll allow golf for the accountants and lawyers, but we can’t do xyz...” I fully get they’re not representative of wider society at the same time.
    In fairness the govt have a balancing act between the important stuff and the really important stuff. I’m hoping/expecting golf to open on Easter Monday, if for no other reason then the north will be open a week earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

81 around Luttrellstown there the last day, had a good scoring going until an aspiring Radar Riley got into my head... Left a few out there but happy enough seeing that I'm only getting out once a week these days!

Oops sorry, wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

PARlance wrote: »
    81 around Luttrellstown there the last day, had a good scoring going until an aspiring Radar Riley got into my head... Left a few out there but happy enough seeing that I'm only getting out once a week these days!

Oops sorry, wrong thread.

That is definitely outside your 5 KM - but maybe you were "going to work" - like the other 1.5 Million in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That is definitely outside your 5 KM - but maybe you were "going to work" - like the other 1.5 Million in Dublin.

"Working" on my game Fix!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

bigmac3 wrote: »
    Did you get any sneaky videos or photos of them?

Well I probably should have to prove my point as you tell the likes of you what was going on and you'd shout hearsay without evidence. Produce the evidence and you'd say it's historical. Argumentative for the sake of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

not yet wrote:
    I was in the Park today and passed 80 or 90 people on the path. Came closer to these people then I would ever come to another golfer on the course.

But it isn't just about the time on the course. Its sharing cars to get there; its travelling more than 5k to get there when nobody is supposed to; its exempting golf while every other sport and social activity is closed down.

I'm as frustrated as everyone else but how often do people need to have the blindingly obvious explained to them?

It's a global pandemic folks.

First Up wrote: »
    But it isn't just about the time on the course. Its sharing cars to get there; its travelling more than 5k to get there when nobody is supposed to; its exempting golf while every other sport and social activity is closed down.

I'm as frustrated as everyone else but how often do people need to have the blindingly obvious explained to them?

Wouldnt think it to see the thousands of people out today and why wouldn't they on such a beautiful day, but if you are cooked up inside you wouldn't see what the reality is these days

Golfhead65 wrote:
    Wouldnt think it to see the thousands of people out today and why wouldn't they on such a beautiful day, but if you are cooked up inside you wouldn't see what the reality is these days

Plenty of scope to enjoy the weather and still behave responsibly.

Yes Mr Nephet

Golfhead65 wrote:
    Yes Mr Nephet

You aren't arguing with me. You are arguing with a virus that won't listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

yes but the rest of the globe seem to be able to see that playing golf is not a contributing factor to the virus spread

plenty of scope to enjoy the weather and still play golf responsibly

Definition of stupidity. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome.. SOUNDS FAMILIAR DOESN'T IT

Golfhead65 wrote:
    Definition of stupidity. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome.. SOUNDS FAMILIAR DOESN'T IT

Well the only thing that seems to have affected the outcome so far is the Level 5 restrictions so factor that in.

And that's the definition of insanity by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

Brilliant :D:D:D:D:D:D

Seve OB wrote:
    plenty of scope to enjoy the weather and still play golf responsibly

I'd be all for that if we could trust people to behave responsibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭benny79

I'd be all for that if we could trust people to behave responsibly.

If the government said tomorrow we can play golf and opened up the courses we would all play be delighted and say nothing. What would have changed? The numbers are still there along with the virus its because the government allowed us. Does that make it right? The virus is hardly going to say government said it was ok I'd leave the people playing golf!

We are in the biggest lockdown we ever had and we have a vaccine this time round! We are going to have to live with the virus we cant keep going into locking down the whole country!

You either lockdown the country or you don't this is half arsed like all the others and is just prolonging everything. Plus there is still people entering the country and not quarantining and have been since day one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

benny79 wrote: »
    If the government said tomorrow we can play golf and opened up the courses we would all play be delighted and say nothing. What would have changed? The numbers are still there along with the virus its because the government allowed us. Does that make it right? The virus is hardly going to say government said it was ok I'd leave the people playing golf!

We are in the biggest lockdown we ever had and we have a vaccine this time round! We are going to have to live with the virus we cant keep going into locking down the whole country!

You either lockdown the country or you don't this is half arsed like all the others and is just prolonging everything. Plus there is still people entering the country and not quarantining and have been since day one!

The vaccine needs to have been administered to enough of the population so that it starts making the big difference. Just not getting out there quickly enough. Once that happens you will see a huge movement towards relaxing the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

Went up to the golf course for a walk this morning to get away from the crowds of people around the town. Parks packed. Footpaths packed. Lines of people queuing up for their designer coffees.

It's a good job I didn't have a golf club in my hand on the course because that would have been dangerous.

545410.jpg

Lip Out wrote: »
    Went up to the golf course for a walk this morning to get away from the crowds of people around the town. Parks packed. Footpaths packed. Lines of people queuing up for their designer coffees.

It's a good job I didn't have a golf club in my hand on the course because that would have been dangerous.

545410.jpg

That looks great, very tempting.

We are getting a bit of work done on our course, i went up today to have a look at it. I was looking around me at these wide open spaces that we are not allowed to golf on. When as you say parks full of people and streets with people walking up and down, congregating having chats etc.

I haven't heard much about other golfing countries, are they allowed golf, Australia, Sweden, Japan, Germany, France, Spain, USA, Canada etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Lip Out wrote: »

545410.jpg

Wow, very nice. What course is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Wow, very nice. What course is this?

Wicklow Golf Club

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

not yet wrote: »

You came close to those 80 or 90 people for what, 2 seconds?

You spend 3-4 hours with the golfers you play with, and I don't believe that you never get close to other golfers on the course, you walk to and from the tee and green together, not to mention rooting for your balls in the trees!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

The dog in the street knows golf is safe to play.
    That’s not the issue though. It’s a gradual reopening and the schools are far more essential than golf. If they open golf you move the bar for all sports to argue they can open safely and before you know it the retail is arguing then the pubs etc. I understand completely why it’s still closed down even if I don’t agree with it.
    A blanket ban on everything is the only way unfortunately. Gradual reopening of schools now bound to add a few cases detected in the coming weeks but should be easily manageable with the elderly currently being vaccinated.

If it remains stable case wise then, vaccines take full effect which will reduce hospital admission and death and also the icu capacity will continue to come back slowly as it is we will have a slow gradual reopening.

It’s the prudent play after a disaster decision in December. I get that.

Is golf safe... yes.
    Should it open now.... no

Things ain’t just black and white unfortunately.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I hate this idea that golf can't reopen because of the optics - "It looks bad if golf is open and GAA isn't."

Who ****ing cares what the optics are? The science says that you are extremely unlikely to catch or pass on COVID in an outdoor environment when you can practise social distancing. Do some people push the boundaries of that distancing? Sure, but the vast majority of golfers will keep that up if it meant being allowed to play. Remove the 5km restriction, keep it to inter county travel if needed, and open sports and outdoor activities that are extremely important to a lot of people, while carrying practically no risk to anyone involved.

Absolute nonsense.

/rant :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Would probably disagree with you there foreright, in the sense that lockdown has been going on for a long, long time now, and very safe activities like golf should be open to give people that outlet for exercise and mental health. It hasn't been stopped in Scotland and has had no ill effects there. It's unfair and wrong imo to lump all sports in together. There's a world of difference between 15 lads from team sports conducting indoor training in the gym,Vs four lads teeing it up once or twice a week. But that's just my opinion. I'm still hopeful for 5th April🀞

Advertisement