Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

And if you agree with this or not .

It sums up why the keeping things shut is the government policy.

He wouldn't have this opinion if the government didn't keep things closed this long, chicken and egg. Irish golf courses have been closed longer than any other country in the WORLD. Let that sink in.

I think most are not abiding by the 5k restriction which is good to hear. Especially when golf is back, don't think many golfers will be too worried with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Monster249 wrote: »
    He wouldn't have this opinion if the government didn't keep things closed this long, chicken and egg. Irish golf courses have been closed longer than any other country in the WORLD. Let that sink in.

I think most are not abiding by the 5k restriction which is good to hear. Especially when golf is back, don't think many golfers will be too worried with it.

Well maybe we are less compliant people. So the lockdown has to be different in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Well maybe we are less compliant people. So the lockdown has to be different in Ireland.

I don't accept Irish people are less compliant than any other nation.

We are good at seeing through the bulls**t sprouted by our politicians.

We have the longest closure of golf courses in the world, approx 3 times more than Scotland, as well as one of the most severest restrictions on the economy of any country.

It's clear NPHET and the government have only one arrow in their quiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Attack the post, not the poster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Listening to the news this morning, its not looking like April either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

charlieIRL wrote: »

Why not? Leo sounds optimistic that outdoor activities could be relaxed a little....

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

If you consider golf to be an "outdoor activity" then there is hope for April.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Russman

Why ? What was said ? (genuinely asking, not arguing it)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hard to know what to believe, as there have been plenty of times where Leo says one thing, then MM says another.

It'll leak at some point, and we'll see what they say then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Russman wrote: »
    Why ? What was said ? (genuinely asking, not arguing it)

Ml Martin was saying earlier that only minor restrictions could be lifted in April and won't be much different from now.

• Advertisement

Ml Martin was saying earlier that only minor restrictions could be lifted in April and won't be much different from now.

I for one will be going up the North twice a week in that case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Small outdoor gatherings, can only mean tennis, small pods of team training, hiking, golf etc? Surely???

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Some interesting facts and figures from Wed. Irish Times.
    Number of days courses were closed from April 25th 2020 until April 5th 2021

Republic of Ireland...189 days
    Nth Ireland 161
    England 160
    Wales 144
    Scotland 66 (Closed last April and May. They are open since May 29th 2020)

USA have been open since last April or May. South Africa opened up last June.
    The headline on the piece says that Republic of Ireland have had the longest golf closure in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The headline on the piece says that Republic of Ireland have had the longest golf closure in the world.

I wonder is that because of golf gate or just the Irish governments refusal to to do anything but blanket bans on everything. Maybe a bit of both

I wonder is that because of golf gate or just the Irish governments refusal to to do anything but blanket bans on everything. Maybe a bit of both

Definitely the latter, Ireland is near the top in every list for strictest lockdown across the board. It's just another part of their weak leadership and resistance to any sort of nuanced thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Definitely the latter, Ireland is near the top in every list for strictest lockdown across the board. It's just another part of their weak leadership and resistance to any sort of nuanced thinking!

This trope gets trotted out lots these days, especially when a decision is made people don't agree with. Most people don't even understand what it actually means.

This trope gets trotted out lots these days, especially when a decision is made people don't agree with. Most people don't even understand what it actually means.

I can assure you I understand exactly what it means, I just don't think in binary terms and I don't think making blanket decisions for almost the next 3 months is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

Well maybe they didn't scale up the hospital capacity when they had a chance?
    Well maybe they bowed to interest groups and opened all the boozers for a month in what is known to be peak flu season?
    Well maybe they closed down golf courses despite the fact that its a perfectly safe way for people to exercise?
    Well maybe they didn't close the borders and airports, and allowed the much more contagious UK strain to run rampant in the country?

etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Well maybe they didn't close the borders and airports, and allowed the much more contagious UK strain to run rampant in the country?

etc...

I see this a lot. Can you explain to me how you close the north off from the republic. Legally and logistically.

Well maybe they bowed to interest groups and opened all the boozers for a month in what is known to be peak flu season?
    Well maybe they closed down golf courses despite the fact that its a perfectly safe way for people to exercise?

etc...

I think we have established that and they didn't close down "just" golf.

• Advertisement

ForeRight wrote: »
    I see this a lot. Can you explain to me how you close the north off from the republic. Legally and logistically.

Unnecessary travel preclusions - same as anywhere else in ireland. I cant drive over 5 km from my house. Checkpoints handle the logistics.

Anyway my point was more broadly about the fact that we should be calling the govt out for their failings rather than turning on our fellow citizens and somehow justifying the draconian restrictions we have been subject to.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

etc...

But they did scale up hospital capacity as the figures waxed and waned.

I can assure you I understand exactly what it means, I just don't think in binary terms and I don't think making blanket decisions for almost the next 3 months is good enough.

But you just effectively stated you thoughts in binary terms, "strict restrictions" is "weak/bad leadership"?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ForeRight wrote: »
    Unnecessary travel preclusions - same as anywhere else in ireland. I cant drive over 5 km from my house. Checkpoints handle the logistics.

Anyway my point was more broadly about the fact that we should be calling the govt out for their failings rather than turning on our fellow citizens and somehow justifying the draconian restrictions we have been subject to.

Take these to the COVID Forum, back to Golf Lockdown discussion please

My mint Tesla Model 3 for quick sale

Tesla Model 3 link

I think we have established that and they didn't close down "just" golf.

We have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Is it worth pointing out that if people were doing what they were supposed to (masks, distancing, hand washing, not gathering in houses) no strain would be running rampant?

But you just effectively stated you thoughts in binary terms, "strict restrictions" is "weak/bad leadership"?

You've mad assumptions. My criticism of the leadership is based on the communication, lack of actual rationale and evidence for many claims and restrictions and the ultra-conservative approach they've taken.

I don't think our reopening can (or should) be summarized into a 5 step plan, I also don't think a "ah sure we'll play it by ear, check back in 6 weeks" approach is good enough.

If you want to disagree with me and say that their communication has been solid and leadership inspiring and strong, then have at it, it's your opinion.

You've mad assumptions. My criticism of the leadership is based on the communication, lack of actual rationale and evidence for many claims and restrictions and the ultra-conservative approach they've taken.

I don't think our reopening can (or should) be summarized into a 5 step plan, I also don't think a "ah sure we'll play it by ear, check back in 6 weeks" approach is good enough.

If you want to disagree with me and say that their communication has been solid and leadership inspiring and strong, then have at it, it's your opinion.

your words - "Ireland is near the top in every list for strictest lockdown across the board. It's just another part of their weak leadership and resistance to any sort of nuanced thinking!"

no mad assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

The 'strategy' if you could label it as such is beyond useless. Golfers are being denied access to a safe sport and a whole myriad of other illogical restrictions have been foisted upon us. My biggest issue is that any 'living with covid strategy' should have revolved around transparent data based decision making. For example, have a review on the 1st Monday of every month. If the incidence rate is <w, death rate <x, hospital capacity >y and ICU capacity >z then we move to the restriction level that corresponds to those values. Simple, transparent, clear decision making. No pandering to lobby groups on one extreme and zero COVID proponents on the other extreme. Makes communication a cinch too.

Instead what we have is nothing short of a communication shambles. 'Era sure we will see what the craic is in a few weeks like'. As if the decision being made are pertaining to where will we go for a pint on Saturday night, which in any case is now outlawed.

Golf too would benefit from this clarity. At this present juncture golf club member are in the dark. We might be back in April, it could be June. No information on what drives those decisions at the highest level. This government must take serious responsibility for the waning of the resolve of the general population. There's no strategy for us to follow and human nature is dictating that in this vacuum devoid of any leadership that people are taking decisions into their own hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

almostover wrote: »
    The 'strategy' if you could label it as such is beyond useless. Golfers are being denied access to a safe sport and a whole myriad of other illogical restrictions have been foisted upon us. My biggest issue is that any 'living with covid strategy' should have revolved around transparent data based decision making. For example, have a review on the 1st Monday of every month. If the incidence rate is <w, death rate <x, hospital capacity >y and ICU capacity >z then we move to the restriction level that corresponds to those values. Simple, transparent, clear decision making. No pandering to lobby groups on one extreme and zero COVID proponents on the other extreme. Makes communication a cinch too.

Instead what we have is nothing short of a communication shambles. 'Era sure we will see what the craic is in a few weeks like'. As if the decision being made are pertaining to where will we go for a pint on Saturday night, which in any case is now outlawed.

Golf too would benefit from this clarity. At this present juncture golf club member are in the dark. We might be back in April, it could be June. No information on what drives those decisions at the highest level. This government must take serious responsibility for the waning of the resolve of the general population. There's no strategy for us to follow and human nature is dictating that in this vacuum devoid of any leadership that people are taking decisions into their own hands.

Elegantly put and it's a plan the country could rally around but unfortunately the government led and IMO dictated to by NPHET cant look beyond a binary approach.

Advertisement