Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

I got sent a video yesterday of a full match ( 11 v 11) being played on an astro turf pitch in south Dublin. They all had bibs on and several spectators watching. Takes place several times a week apparently. Infuriating that this is allowed to take place and we can't go out on 100+ acres of land as two-balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Lip Out wrote: »
    I got sent a video yesterday of a full match ( 11 v 11) being played on an astro turf pitch in south Dublin. They all had bibs on and several spectators watching. Takes place several times a week apparently. Infuriating that this is allowed to take place and we can't go out on 100+ acres of land as two-balls.

Probably LOI teams training I'd say, they are allowed and a lot of the teams rent out these astros, not saying it definitely was but it's most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

RGS wrote: »
    That would be logical and sensible but our overlords cant see beyond blanket restrictions.

The usual arguments against opening up are golfers/tennis players/ hikers cant be trusted to not stop for petrol/coffee going to their leisure pursuit.

Maybe we should only allow electric cars owner play golf if they have a home charger LOL.
    ( PS just joking as I am an EV owner.)

We know our restrictions are one of the harshest in the world and it appears we are the only country with construction effectively closed.

Are they? We haven't had curfews and our 5km restriction is a bit more flexible than what was in for other European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Probably LOI teams training I'd say, they are allowed and a lot of the teams rent out these astros, not saying it definitely was but it's most likely

next time you are in coolmine take a spin around to the astro pitches there
    you'll soon see it is not LOI teams

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

Seve OB wrote: »

Yes these were definitely not LOI teams. Just don't know how they are getting away with it. Apparently it was the same in Marlay Park yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Are they? We haven't had curfews and our 5km restriction is a bit more flexible than what was in for other European countries.

There was a study done, I think by Oxford University, link below, which stated Ireland was close to the top of the class for restrictions. In the Irish Tines last week the research showed our golf courses were closed 3 time longer than those in Scotland.

Generally places with curfews have businesses open during the non curfew hours.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/irelands-level-five-lockdown-is-second-toughest-in-the-eu-vrs9l2p3c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Lockdown is clearly over. I’ve got the week off and people everywhere and mixing.

Numbers will not get any lower unless vaccine program is completed and that’s not happening any time soon. So lower numbers can’t be the target, hospital numbers is and that’s now low.

Golf will be open along with most things outdoor next month and if not the govt may as well run for the hills because the only people obeying the rules is people that won’t take risks anyway.

Seve OB wrote: »

I'm not against it either as its a lot safer playing footie or other sports outside as opposed to cramming 30 odd kids in a classroom, I'm a soccer referee and the league are not confident of "organised" leagues getting the go ahead anytime soon, Youth Crime rates will go through the roof as the young have nothing structured to do

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    But RTE reports Deaths with covid19
    Not Death due to covid19,, Massive difference, If I was on my deathbed from cancer and was on my dying breath, if i contracted covid 19 in my final hours I would be one of their fancy scary death figures.
    Yep you would because in the months and years to come the boffins studying the disease would see that people even caught it on the death bed and look at why and try and learn for the future. Their Fancy scary death figures ah here

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

I'm not against it either as its a lot safer playing footie or other sports outside as opposed to cramming 30 odd kids in a classroom, I'm a soccer referee and the league are not confident of "organised" leagues getting the go ahead anytime soon, Youth Crime rates will go through the roof as the young have nothing structured to do

The last Central statistic report figs from up to any including the 3rd quarter of 2020 actually noted a drop in a number of crime categories, particularly burglary, assaults' and theft so no factual evidence to back up a rise in Youth Crime as of yet which is good. Irish Times article mon 21.12.21. The lockdown while a complete pain does not mean no structure Golf head, now please no red card for my reply from ya cos it will make me sad, i can live with a yella

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Lockdown is clearly over. I’ve got the week off and people everywhere and mixing.

Numbers will not get any lower unless vaccine program is completed and that’s not happening any time soon. So lower numbers can’t be the target, hospital numbers is and that’s now low.

Golf will be open along with most things outdoor next month and if not the govt may as well run for the hills because the only people obeying the rules is people that won’t take risks anyway.

Good post, you summed up my thoughts well ever since I noticed the numbers have stopped falling as of last week. Hopefully the govt are as sensible as you think.

The last Central statistic report figs from up to any including the 3rd quarter of 2020 actually noted a drop in a number of crime categories, particularly burglary, assaults' and theft so no factual evidence to back up a rise in Youth Crime as of yet which is good. Irish Times article mon 21.12.21. The lockdown while a complete pain does not mean no structure Golf head, now please no red card for my reply from ya cos it will make me sad, i can live with a yella

I said WILL, we are nearly into 2nd quarter of 2021 during 2020 lockdown everyone was at home, anyway 'when will we be golfing again.. That is the question

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

I have no expectations of golf opening in April now with the numbers the way they are and probably due to rise following tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Russman

I have no expectations of golf opening in April now with the numbers the way they are and probably due to rise following tomorrow

The heart says, keep the faith, they'll have to throw the public a bone in April and hopefully golf will be part of it.

The head says, you're probably right :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I disagree. I'm convinced outdoor sports will get the go ahead. Even nphet realise now people have had enough of this crap. They need to throw us a bone of some description. Golf, tennis, GAA outdoor non contact training will be back IMO, with a possible increase to the 5 km rule too.

The 5km limit has to go.

Opening sports and keeping it within the 5km is a non runner.

But we are dealing with politicians who haven't a clue.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0316/1204264-politicians-underestimating-value-of-pe-corrigan/

Corrigan says politicians are underestimating the huge importance of physical exercise.

"I think the Government is confused," he says in relation to that development.

"Sport is for the masses. There is a perception out there that unless you are playing for a county team that it doesn’t count what you do. That’s absolutely and clearly not the case.

Could have put it better myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Law&Order

Laws mean nothing unless you have order. The government were slow initially last year to impose strict restrictions on society as they needed to wait until the majority were on board knowing it was needed. Restrictions wouldnt work otherwise.

They then release the public for December after a long lockdown as they knew the majority of the public would not be on board with no Xmas.

It’s now at the stage that something has got to give. People who have abided by all restrictions are now turning and need some sort of release.
    The behavioural scientists in nphet will be assessing all of this.

Lockdown was designed to prevent needless death due to hospital and ICU being overwhelmed. They nearly were after Xmas but are now levelling off. Add in the fact that a huge portion of the very elderly and all the nursing homes are vaccinated. They were the vast majority of hospitalised people.

Lockdown was to protect the health care system. It was never about stopping cases.

Something has to give now and with this being a golf forum and not a golf forum I hope we get to play in April.
    I also hope kids get to train. They are all in school anyway with each other so let them train outdoors.

As I said this is a golf forum so I’ll say golf again to keep the mods happy. Golf.

ForeRight wrote: »
    Law&Order

Laws mean nothing unless you have order. The government were slow initially last year to impose strict restrictions on society as they needed to wait until the majority were on board knowing it was needed. Restrictions wouldnt work otherwise.

They then release the public for December after a long lockdown as they knew the majority of the public would not be on board with no Xmas.

It’s now at the stage that something has got to give. People who have abided by all restrictions are now turning and need some sort of release.

Lockdown was designed to prevent needless death due to hospital and ICU being overwhelmed. They nearly were after Xmas but are now levelling off. Add in the fact that a huge portion of the very elderly and all the nursing homes are vaccinated. They were the vast majority of hospitalised people.

Lockdown was to protect the health care system. It was never about stopping cases.

Something has to give now and with this being a golf forum and not a golf forum I hope we get to play in April.
    I also hope kids get to train. They are all in school anyway with each other so let them train outdoors.

As I said this is a golf forum so I’ll say golf again to keep the mods happy. Golf.

Third paragraph is the one.......

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

ForeRight wrote: »
    Law&Order

Excellent Post. I agree 100% with everything you say.

In years to come when the boffins analyse what went on I think there was a lot of mistakes made.
    Boris might have had the right idea regarding herd immunity but he made the mistake of not strictly locking down the vulnerable immediately.
    I think if done right it would been easier locking down a section of society rather than a blanket ban.
    At this stage we might have herd immunity if we tried this at the start.
    Forget Zero Covid that will never happen but
    with vaccines and a degree of herd immunity we could be on the golf course by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭benny79

Ive noticed that Garden centres have been open the last couple of weeks. Yet these aren't essential services?? I said it to someone in work and they said they are slowly opening things for peoples mental health.

Then she show me a video of a dead body floating down the canal at the Bisco in Drimnagh and a load of kids touching it! She was telling me she was saying it to her cousin who is a guard. This was only last week no mention in the papers as it was suicide. The guard told her that was nothing that the suicide rates were though the roof! have to said the video was a bit disturbing in the middle of the day a dead body just floating down the canal... R.I.P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

benny79 wrote: »
    Ive noticed that Garden centres have been open the last couple of weeks. Yet these aren't essential services?? I said it to someone in work and they said they are slowly opening things for peoples mental health.

Then she show me a video of a dead body floating down the canal at the Bisco in Drimnagh and a load of kids touching it! She was telling me she was saying it to her cousin who is a guard. This was only last week no mention in the papers as it was suicide. The guard told her that was nothing that the suicide rates were though the roof! have to said the video was a bit disturbing in the middle of the day a dead body just floating down the canal... R.I.P

I’m open to correction here but haven’t garden centres been open thru lockdown?

I wouldn’t be listening to stuff like that benny. Suicide rates are not thru the roof. Pieta house themselves put out a report a few weeks ago saying the rates are at a normal level and anyone who says they are up 200%, which is what I’ve seen multiple times is lying.
    Official statistics for suicide are not available for another 2 years or so for 2020. That’s to do with coroners court decisions as well as other things that stop official stats being available for quite a while.

That gard is just shooting from the hip and I’ve seen that video in question.

Open the golf clubs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭IAmTitleist

1st April in Northern Ireland. Looking like 2 balls at the moment.

Sports training for up to 15 people can resumre on 12th April so i'd like to think that would mean 4 balls from that date.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Jaysus today is the absolute perfect day for a game of golf down in Kerry. 15-16 degrees with barely any wind, sun splitting the sky, and the local courses look fantastic.

If only :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭benny79

@ForeRight I'd say your probably right. You dont know what to believe these days with all the propaganda going around. No garden centres were definitely closed. As I pass by a very big one everyday on my way to work.

#Just open the golf courses

On a side note Ive been hitting golf balls on the Curragh a few evenings & on weekend.. God I miss golf!

Golf back in the North from 1st April

Golf back in the North from 1st April

If it's two balls they will try implement that down here as well. Absolute joke if that's the best golf Ireland can do for us

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

If it's two balls they will try implement that down here as well. Absolute joke if that's the best golf Ireland can do for us

What is wrong with two balls only?

What is wrong with two balls only?

Erm..... Jammed timesheets? The struggle to get a tee time that suits? Not playing with your normal golf buddies? No competitions?
    Its bad enough that the club house will also probably be closed but if golf is open leave it open properly. None of this restrictions BS.

Golf Ireland need to push back on any suggestion of 2 balls or the idiotic 2 household rule, which was suggested pre Christmas.

Running a time sheet for 2 balls at 10 min intervals from 7am to 5pm that's 6 slots per hour for 10 hours amounting to 60 slots which only allows 120 golfers out per day.

If that's the regulations clubs may have to only allow 1 tee time per member per weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

benny79 wrote: »
    On a side note Ive been hitting golf balls on the Curragh a few evenings & on weekend.. God I miss golf!

Hey Benny... was this you Joe Lyons spotted?
    https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=3873979555992730&set=pcb.466348247741545

Advertisement