Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Bad news. Rumours coming out that golf will not reopen in April and we’ll have to wait till after the May Bank Holiday weekend. Can’t believe it myself but they believe there’s an increase in case numbers coming which will keep the country in Level 5 till at least May.

I'd actually believe it, the way the press conference went this evening. We're never going to get the cases down to the numbers they want without a huge percentage of the country vaccinated. And the government are too spineless to go against nphet. A disgrace to keep the country like this. But they love a lockdown, these "experts".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

If it goes past April 5th I am hitting streets

There is no one in ****ing hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

3 more weeks until golf.

Believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

gypsy79 wrote: »
    If it goes past April 5th I am hitting streets

There is no one in ****ing hospital

It will be the 6th of april at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

Bad news. Rumours coming out that golf will not reopen in April and we’ll have to wait till after the May Bank Holiday weekend. Can’t believe it myself but they believe there’s an increase in case numbers coming which will keep the country in Level 5 till at least May.

That isn't going to fly, the longer they try to impose these restrictions the less obedience they'll get from the people which in itself will lead to a rise in cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

I believe they have to make some easing on Apr 5th. And golf will be considered safe enough to be a part of that easing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Monster249 wrote: »
    That isn't going to fly, the longer they try to impose these restrictions the less obedience they'll get from the people which in itself will lead to a rise in cases.

I agree. Fatigue has not only set in at this stage, it's won out.

Yesterday was bad for people getting a bit too close to each other, Easter will be much worse whether restrictions are still in place or not. Government have over promised and under delivered time and time again, with the vaccination shambles only the most recent example, and, when you combine that with the decent weather which will only continue to improve (by and large), you can forget any compliance that in anyway resembles January's levels until next November.

Preserving the current restrictions exactly as they are is the epitome of flogging a dead horse. They have to come up with something. The 5k has to go. Outdoor sport needs to come back because, as Ive pointed out before, this will filter people (some, by no means all) away from parks, beauty spots etc into more controlled, regulated and ultra safe environments which can only have the effect of reducing cases.

Either that or zero covid. Indeed, I think most of us would just settle for proper restrictions on air travel. I was reading about Tawain's success yesterday. You'd wonder how we couldve gotten it so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

I'm not at all optimistic we are getting any easing of restrictions in April.

Looks like NPHET want us to stay where we are until the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

RGS wrote: »
    I'm not at all optimistic we are getting any easing of restrictions in April.

Looks like NPHET want us to stay where we are until the end of June.

A 6 month lockdown that would be! I dont think anywhere in the world has had that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Sounds like the usual leaking from the government. Hopefully it doesn't happen but as had been said already the ship has sailed, the restrictions will not be obeyed. As Bob Marlay once said you can't fool all the people all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

The timing is bad as those who’ve picked in up in schools will start showing the symptoms & get tested right before the decision date. Plus if they’re spreading it to their families there could be a significant increase in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Sounds like the usual leaking from the government. Hopefully it doesn't happen but as had been said already the ship has sailed, the restrictions will not be obeyed. As Bob Marlay once said you can't fool all the people all the time.
    Restrictions like the 5k will be broken. But a golf course will still be shut if things aren’t eased, no club is really going to be the one to open and draw the negative attention on themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

Looks like the propaganda machine is kicking into gear this morning.
    Prof Nolan saying the numbers not good enough for opening until June.
    The numbers are stagnated, plateaued, What do you expect when you are dealing with something thats endemic.
    Past history with these leaks would suggest by the time April 5th comes the population will have been conditioned to accept June.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

Seve OB wrote: »
    Where did you hear that?

From a journalist.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/covid-19-cabinet-split-on-easing-5km-limit-in-april-as-work-from-home-advice-to-remain-until-june-1.4514206?mode=amp

Apparently golf and other outdoor activities where earlier highlighted as opening back up in April, NPHET had other ideas and now with an increase in cases, politicians are too wary to speak out against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

As Bob Marlay once said you can't fool all the people all the time.

Have you fooled the virus yet?

Surely they have factored in case numbers stagnating or increasing slightly with the opening of schools and all that entails.

If they do nothing next month then nothing will change. They need to keep the gradual reopening which will include some sports and monitor as we go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭slingerz

It is just all so wearying. I know I’m struggling with all the pessimism. This would be a 14+ week period of lockdown. Is there anywhere in the world that has experienced the same or longer. It’s always negative news, even vaccine rollout is a crap shoot. Depressing

First Up wrote: »
    Have you fooled the virus yet?

Yeah, was on a golf course on Wednesday, virus couldn't get near me! Who would have thought outdoor golf is safe!

Indoor classrooms full of students is safe apparently also!

Yeah, was on a golf course on Wednesday, virus couldn't get near me! Who would have thought outdoor golf is safe!

So we close the schools, shops, factories and offices and teleport you to and from the golf course , which will be mysteriously cutting it's own grass. Sounds a winning formula. I hope you have shared your wisdom with NPHET.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

If they don't open golf in April I think many people will not renew their membership as all you will get is a few months play before the autumn

So we close the schools, shops, factories and offices and teleport you to and from the golf course , which will be mysteriously cutting it's own grass. Sounds a winning formula. I hope you have shared your wisdom with NPHET.

You're just making things up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭the long lad

From a journalist.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/covid-19-cabinet-split-on-easing-5km-limit-in-april-as-work-from-home-advice-to-remain-until-june-1.4514206?mode=amp

Apparently golf and other outdoor activities where earlier highlighted as opening back up in April, NPHET had other ideas and now with an increase in cases, politicians are too wary to speak out against them.

Are we reading the same article? I don't see anything in there to suggest that golf won't reopen after Easter.

You're just making things up now.

Well you gave playing golf a higher safety rating than schools, so presumably you think all settings where people mix indoors are more dangerous.

The general argument here is golf is safer than the schools,shops,factories and offices you mentioned so why is it still closed?
    You will probably be stopping for petrol/coffee on your way to any of the above as well.

What point are you trying to make here?

Well you gave playing golf a higher safety rating than schools, so presumably you think all settings where people mix indoors are more dangerous.

Of course

Monster249 wrote:
    What point are you trying to make here?

For golf courses to be open, they need staff, equipment and supplies. That would need all golf related activity to be exempted from restrictions.

Walking the fairways is the easy bit.

For golf courses to be open, they need staff, equipment and supplies. That would need all golf related activity to be exempted from restrictions.

They are exempt and Courses are all being maintained.

• Advertisement

I don't see what you're getting at though. Are you insinuating that cases will rise because the employees of the golf course will be back to work and that's where the risk is?

Advertisement