Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, if it's a competition you should finish the round. Casual golf, i've no issues with someone leaving after 9/12. I've done it, and had it done to me.

I don't mind playing solo though, and sometimes really enjoy it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

This attitude sickens me, an absolute blight on the game.

Are you saying that on a full course, the quickest group is entitled to set the pace, which all others most stick with, and any group that can't, has to stand aside until there is a gap? Possibly hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Well where do you expect the slow group to fit in when there isn't a gap.

There's no room for slow groups on the golf course. Particularly when there's no gaps.

You either keep up with the group in front of you, or you let others who are capable of doing that through.

If that means you're constantly standing aside and letting groups through all day, so be it.

However if you're doing this you really don't belong on a golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

Seve OB wrote: »
    if you are entered into an 18 hole competition..... then yes, you are expected to play the full 18 and not leave someone stranded

Ah yeah I mean at the minute with casual golf only. I wouldn't expect and thankfully have never seen anyone enter a competition if they didn't expect to finish it out

JCDUB wrote: »
    There's no room for slow groups on the golf course. Particularly when there's no gaps.

You either keep up with the group in front of you, or you let others who are capable of doing that through.

If that means you're constantly standing aside and letting groups through all day, so be it.

So the quickest group, whatever that speed they decide to play at, sets the required speed for everyone else on the course?

• Advertisement

JCDUB wrote: »

Equally, that just means you are the slowest. So whoever the slowest group is should not be their.
    Where do quick golfers (and I'd say in reality their only quick on the days that suits them to be) get this God complex about their speed being the right speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

look, if you are slow and loosing mega time, then JC makes a fair point.
    most courses have set timing standards, if you are within that and within a hole of the group in front, there shouldn't be an issue.
    most of the time people will loose balls etc and that when the groups behind get called through, or if there is a smaller group behind clearly playing quicker..... but some people are just ignorant and refuse to call through.

anyway, i think we have gone off on a tangent and this conversation probably belongs in the slow play thread, so i'm done on this for now.

And to get us back on topic....

who else is excited about competitions starting back up again next week and the battle for the handicap reductions can commence.

I've no doubt that i'll probably leave the reasonably good golf that I've been playing under casual conditions behind and go out and shoot 20 something points.... that would be typical wouldn't it!

So the quickest group, whatever that speed they decide to play at, sets the required speed for everyone else on the course?

No. The group ahead of you sets the pace, in general. However if they are slow, and can't keep up with the group ahead of them, then they must stand aside and let you through.

As we are all aware, and we all see on signs on 1st/10th tees up and down the country, "your place on the golf course is directly behind the group in front of you, not directly in front of the group behind you."
    Equally, that just means you are the slowest. So whoever the slowest group is should not be their.
    Where do quick golfers (and I'd say in reality their only quick on the days that suits them to be) get this God complex about their speed being the right speed?

If you can't keep up with the group ahead of you, then you shouldn't be there. There are always exceptions, for example a two ball with a big gap in front of them going out just ahead of a four ball. Obviously the four ball won't keep up here. But if there's a gap and two balls going out it's probably not a competition.

IMO there are particular times when most courses are less busy (obviously less so at the moment) that most members are aware of. These are the times that consistently slower golfers should try to play, while still bearing in mind course etiquette and politeness to others.

Certainly, if they can't keep up when playing competitions, they shouldn't be playing competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭finglashoop

who else is excited about competitions starting back up again next week and the battle for the handicap reductions can commence.

I've no doubt that i'll probably leave the reasonably good golf that I've been playing under casual conditions behind and go out and shoot 20 something points.... that would be typical wouldn't it!

I cant wait for it tbh.

Been playing well since reopening and had a bit of consistency too. Hoping i can keep it going

• Advertisement

Me too, can't wait to play some competitive golf. Although, like you, I have a feeling I have a storm to weather before things come right.

Our club are catching up on missed medals etc, I presume other clubs are doing the same rather than putting on fourball s'fords?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Which is unfair on them.

Unfair on the slow guys who are holding up the entire course? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

blue note wrote: »
    How is that impact minimal? Fair enough you won't delay the first group playing through by doing that. But once they walk through you won't be able to hit your second shot until they've cleared the green. In the meantime the group behind them will have surely finished the previous hole (if not they'll be more than a hole behind the group they were following). So they'll be on the tee waiting for you to clear when you're playing your second. So immediately you're in a situation where, if you're slow, you're holding up the group behind you.

If you wait for the group in front of you to get a bit of distance ahead before letting the next group behind you through, everyone behind them will be catching up with each other and bunching. Then the next time you call someone through, if you do it in a similar manner, the group following them will be on the tee waiting for you to hit your second before the group ahead has even reached the green. And then you're in a situation where the groups you let through will benefit from it from the point that you leave them through. And the groups behind will suffer for it.

Players playing a different paces is a problem, but definitely not one with an easy fix. I don't think calling groups through helps on the very busy days unless you're looking for a ball or the like because I don't see how what I've outlined above isn't the case. And from experience, I've been a couple of groups back from the slow one in the past and exactly what I've outlined has happened. The slow group lets others through every few holes and we all end up waiting while they rejoin play. If I'm close enough to the top it's nice to get the clear run after you're called through, but if you're not you'll end up chatting to the next group on a tee box waiting for the fairway to clear.

You hit your tee shot and walk to your ball, when the group behind get to the tee you stand back and let them hit.
    As they are walking down you continue playing. When they are ready to hit their seconds you stand back again, if needed.
    Continue this until they have passed you.

This is quicker than each group playing sequentially, you are making the operation parallel, this is more efficient.

The 2nd group behind are not catching up any quicker than they were before, as you are not slowing down the 1st group behind, anytime they are ready to play you let them, but you dont down tools and wait for them to pass you by.

/edit
    the highlighted bit is whats causing the problem, you dont stop while you let someone play through!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Cant wait for comps to start back, I just hope I can carry my current form into them. I think the good conditions of the courses at the moment are probably accounting for a couple a shots a round at least.

one of our first comps is stroke play with the prize free membership for next year so hoping to do well in that.

GreeBo wrote: »
    You hit your tee shot and walk to your ball, when the group behind get to the tee you stand back and let them hit.
    As they are walking down you continue playing. When they are ready to hit their seconds you stand back again, if needed.

This is quicker than each group playing sequentially, you are making the operation parallel, this is more efficient.

The 2nd group behind are not catching up any quicker than they were before, as you are not slowing down the 1st group behind, anytime they are ready to play you let them, but you dont down tools and wait for them to pass you by.

/edit
    the highlighted bit is whats causing the problem, you dont stop while you let someone play through!

I finally agree with you on something :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Very much looking forward to them. My exact handicap is 12.4 so a nice challenge to stay at 12

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

GreeBo wrote: »

/edit

Of course you end up waiting. If you call then through on the par 4, hit your second after they've teed off, and then walk up to the green. Then stand aside and let them hit on, then you can start chipping onto the green / putting while they're walking up. I'm not sure they'll appreciate all the markers on the green, but that's a side point. Then let them play through on the green, finish out yourself and go to the next tee.

In that scenario, after they've finished on the green you'll have the added time of the group that called them through to finish out for the next group to catch up or wait. If you were able to finish on the green before they got up there you'll have the extra time of you waiting on the next tee to tee off.

We've all had it drilled into us that slow play is caused by people not calling faster groups through. But when you think it through, calling groups through can be a cause of slow play in certain circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mushy wrote: »
    Very much looking forward to them. My exact handicap is 12.4 so a nice challenge to stay at 12

Sure aren't all the handicaps being discarded and replaced later in the year anyway!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Sure aren't all the handicaps being discarded and replaced later in the year anyway!

no

the only thing being replaced is the system of calculating but old handicaps and scores will form the new handicap. nothing is being discarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

be interesting to see how handicaps work for the next month or so with bunkers\flag stick restrictions.

i forgot the world system was starting end of the year, wonder if they push it back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

woodyg wrote: »

i forgot the world system was starting end of the year, wonder if they push it back?

No. The gui confirmed at a zoom conference recently the new system starts on November 2nd 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

etxp wrote: »
    Cant wait for comps to start back, I just hope I can carry my current form into them. I think the good conditions of the courses at the moment are probably accounting for a couple a shots a round at least.

one of our first comps is stroke play with the prize free membership for next year so hoping to do well in that.

Que all the new members with bogie handicaps to be well in the hunt, I know that in our club there will be some mad scores put in for 1st few comps

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Que all the new members with bogie handicaps to be well in the hunt, I know that in our club there will be some mad scores put in for 1st few comps

I don’t expect anything less than 42 points will win most competition’sfor a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Golfhead65 wrote: »

The new handicap system will be much more penal to these new guys. It is much fairer and people will need have 20 qualifying rounds to get full allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭finglashoop

So will it look back at previous rounds or does everyone start fron scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

I don’t expect anything less than 42 points will win most competition’sfor a while

42 wouldn’t get you much in our place. CSS was regularly 39/40 points last year. Not unusual so see 45/46 points come in. Highest I recall from last year was a 49

slingerz wrote: »
    42 wouldn’t get you much in our place. CSS was regularly 39/40 points last year. Not unusual so see 45/46 points come in. Highest I recall from last year was a 49

Whats the slope rating of the course? does it generally play easy or is it just full of bandits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

45/46 is an outrageous average for a winning score.

40 points usually does the job in corballis with maybe the odd one shooting out to 42 or 43 if the wind is not blowing

willabur wrote: »
    45/46 is an outrageous average for a winning score.

why? it just means its a very easy course. 4 or 5 better than CSS it perfectly fine as a normal winning score with 100 or so playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

slingerz wrote: »

What’s the course?

Advertisement