Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

52gpyp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0320/1205142-coronavirus-ireland/

"Sports such as golf and tennis are seen as a lower priority"

Not sure what Golf Ireland are doing, bit they need to be all over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭slingerz

Micheal Lehane reporting the focus is on phased reopening of construction and kids sports with some easing of the 5K restriction to be 10/20K. Tennis/golf in the conversation but less of a priority

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Slimity wrote: »

It really looks like golf courses won't be opening in April now which will be tough as the weather gets better.

With courses opening in the North, Scotland, England and Wales I wonder are we the only country in the world with golf courses shut

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

See my post above. Why are clubs and Golf Ireland remaining silent? Enough is enough. This could have huge consequences for clubs who are trying to get subs in to stay afloat. It would be the end of May before we sre back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

The Golf Ireland CEO Mark Kenneally is a former Chief of Staff in the Department of the Taoiseach, and you'd have to say is one of the most politically connected people in the country, never mind one of the most politically connected heads of a sporting organisation.

To think that he wouldn't be using these connections at the moment would be exceptionally surprising, however because he is not shouting about it, some seem to think that he's not.

Golf Ireland are in no doubt working behind the scenes to reopen golf safely.

There is also a group in the UK, the all-party parliamentary group for golf, which is used by all the golf organisations in the UK as a single voice to lobby for golf issues in the UK Parliaments. As the PGA are involved with this group, the group has interacted with the Irish government on behalf of the PGA members here.

If golf doesn't open up in April, it won't be because the arguments for golf haven't been put to Sport Ireland, NPHET, politicians or whoever is making the decisions.

When I see comments such as the one above about Golf Ireland doing nothing, it does remind of the 'If a Tree Falls in the Forest' saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Lip Out wrote: »
    See my post above. Why are clubs and Golf Ireland remaining silent? Enough is enough. This could have huge consequences for clubs who are trying to get subs in to stay afloat. It would be the end of May before we sre back.

I genuinely believe Golf Ireland have already been given the nod by somebody and they're trying not to rock the boat so are keeping quiet. Once the numbers dont go haywire, Im optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Russman

I genuinely believe Golf Ireland have already been given the nod by somebody and they're trying not to rock the boat so are keeping quiet. Once the numbers dont go haywire, Im optimistic.

Quite likely I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

The Golf Ireland CEO Mark Kenneally is a former Chief of Staff in the Department of the Taoiseach, and you'd have to say is one of the most politically connected people in the country, never mind one of the most politically connected heads of a sporting organisation.

Interview with Mark Kenelly from January https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/if-you-look-at-the-year-weve-had-golf-has-achieved-quite-a-lot-39927728.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Diamondhands

Anyone know if driving ranges up the north are opening on 01/04?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

Anyone know if driving ranges up the north are opening on 01/04?

I know of one that hasn’t closed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

So golf and tennis clubs could be open in April but only for junior members.

It really is a crazy situation.

The amount of leaks kite flying from this government is unbelievable. A sieve has less leaks.

I know of one that hasn’t closed!!!

Spill..

RGS wrote: »
    So golf and tennis clubs could be open in April but only for junior members.

It really is a crazy situation.

The amount of leaks kite flying from this government is unbelievable. A sieve has less leaks.

What a warped logic, we really are run by absolute morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    I just can't believe what I'm reading from you, I think you are a wind up merchant, Lockdowns, 5K limits have not worked like the saying about insanity "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Ffs have you not gone outside, the amount of gatherings in big groups outside is off the wall, don't get me wrong as I don't think there is anything wrong with it but" a gathering at a golf club is 4 people at most and don't BS about stopping for coffee etc it's happening on a much larger scale as it is

The reality is that nothing has worked so far as for the doing the "same thing over and over again analogy" so you want the powers to be to relax all virus spreading restrictions eeeeehhhh we have tried that but "doing the same thing over and over again"
    However doing the same thing again ie reducing restrictions will be far more productive this time if managed correctly as the most likely cohorts of the population to catch a bad dose will have been protected through having had the JAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

The reality is that nothing has worked so far as for the doing the "same thing over and over again analogy" so you want the powers to be to relax all virus spreading restrictions eeeeehhhh we have tried that but "doing the same thing over and over again"
    However doing the same thing again ie reducing restrictions will be far more productive this time if managed correctly as the most likely cohorts of the population to catch a bad dose will have been protected through having had the JAB.

For 99.9999% of people it's nothing more than a flu or cold, sure you got it and as you said yourself uncomfortable but not much to write home about, it's ironic that smoking is proven to be the biggest killer but sale of tobacco is not banned, Why?? 2 reasons 1. Government make money from it 2. If it was banned it would go underground and gov would lose tax money, ffs sake your daily commute from Kilcullen to Carlow is hardly frought with traffic jams in any ordinary day or year, try going around Dublin these days it's practically back to normal as people are genuinely pissed off. Open up and if you or anybody is of the opinion that it's still not safe to go out Stay in but like the people that complain about TV shows being inappropriate for viewing change the channel, font deny everyone coz of your insecurities

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

For 99.9999% of people it's nothing more than a flu or cold, sure you got it and as you said yourself uncomfortable but not much to write home about, it's ironic that smoking is proven to be the biggest killer but sale of tobacco is not banned, Why?? 2 reasons 1. Government make money from it 2. If it was banned it would go underground and gov would lose tax money, ffs sake your daily commute from Kilcullen to Carlow is hardly frought with traffic jams in any ordinary day or year, try going around Dublin these days it's practically back to normal as people are genuinely pissed off. Open up and if you or anybody is of the opinion that it's still not safe to go out Stay in but like the people that complain about TV shows being inappropriate for viewing change the channel, font deny everyone coz of your insecurities
    For 99.999999% of People its its nothing more than the flu. Where do you get your facts from Golfhead ffs. Yes the majority of people have a mild viral experience but 99.99 % of of the roughly 250,000 people who have contracted the disease in Ireland would according to your figs mean if my maths is correct would mean that only 25 people got a bad dose. Must tell Paul Reid to tell all those malingers in ICU "to get the fcuk outta my hospital".
    Making an argument is what boards is all about but ffs do a little do a little bit of digging around and get your facts right. A recent USA TODAY article on some research on hospitalization rates per age group in America "Once infected with the new coronavirus, a 20-something has about a 1% chance of illness so severe it requires hospitalization, and that risk rises to more than 8% for people in their 50s and to nearly 19% for people over 80, a comprehensive new analysis finds" I agree with lots of posters who want to see outdoor sporting activities start back up but some of the guff and sense of entitlement seen on this forum is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

For 99.999999% of People its its nothing more than the flu. Where do you get your facts from Golfhead ffs. Yes the majority of people have a mild viral experience but 99.99 % of

3 % have died globally. So I guess they were not mild.

So 3 in every 100 people in the world have died throughout this!! Don't think do as that would make about 150000 dead in this period in Ireland alone, you can make a play on figures as the government and nphet are doing but the reality is not everyone catches a cold, flu, Pneumonia or this, so as my 83 Yr old father says, "Rather 1 more year of living than having this crap inflicted on us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

That all reads very silly.

Fact is 99% of people don’t just experience a mild flu.
    More like 80% experience mild flu and then from the remaining 20% a portion will need treatment with a small portion needing icu.

Now multiply that massively if the virus had been let rip thru society and you have what we had after Xmas. Icu very close to collapse and only a complete shut down prevented it.

Put it this way imagine icu is at capacity because of covid patients then while you’re out playing golf you have a heart attack or a stroke or even an accident on your way to golf...even simple appendix emergency treatment...you need icu to survive but sorry it’s full. You die.

That’s what lockdown was preventing.

Vaccines are administered to the group which make up the vast majority that need icu due to covid hence why I think it’s time to start an easing of minor restrictions. Slowly.

Saying 99.999% of people experience mild flu is extremely uneducated on how the virus or the healthcare system works at this stage of the game.

• Advertisement

For 99.999999% of People its its nothing more than the flu. Where do you get your facts from Golfhead ffs. Yes the majority of people have a mild viral experience but 99.99 % of of the roughly 250,000 people who have contracted the disease in Ireland would according to your figs mean if my maths is correct would mean that only 25 people got a bad dose. Must tell Paul Reid to tell all those malingers in ICU "to get the fcuk outta my hospital".
    Making an argument is what boards is all about but ffs do a little do a little bit of digging around and get your facts right. A recent USA TODAY article on some research on hospitalization rates per age group in America "Once infected with the new coronavirus, a 20-something has about a 1% chance of illness so severe it requires hospitalization, and that risk rises to more than 8% for people in their 50s and to nearly 19% for people over 80, a comprehensive new analysis finds" I agree with lots of posters who want to see outdoor sporting activities start back up but some of the guff and sense of entitlement seen on this forum is pathetic.
    Brainwashed from being in the job you're in and as for Reid and all those overpayed jumped up celebrities they are only polishing up their pension funds. Totalitarianism is what we have in this country now

So 3 in every 100 people in the world have died throughout this!! Don't think do as that would make about 150000 dead in this period in Ireland alone, you can make a play on figures as the government and nphet are doing but the reality is not everyone catches a cold, flu, Pneumonia or this, so as my 83 Yr old father says, "Rather 1 more year of living than having this crap inflicted on us

Approx 2% of positive cases in Ireland have died. I don’t think fix was saying 3% of the population on the planet has died from covid.

"Rather 1 more year of living than having this crap inflicted on us

If it was as simple as if you catch it and it just affects you to whatever extent I’d agree with your dads logic but unfortunately it’s not and the fact it gets past on exponentially and a lot of times asymptomatically brings us back to my point above about letting it rip thru society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

ForeRight wrote: »
    If it was as simple as if you catch it and it just affects you to whatever extent I’d agree with your dads logic but unfortunately it’s not and the fact it gets past on exponentially and a lot of times asymptomatically brings us back to my point above about letting it rip thru society.

Explain exponential before I can take you seriously!!

Cause you are talking ****e that the uneducated doctors in NPHET are talking. They clearly don understand exponential and nor do you!

Incorrect....maybe 1% of people with a positive test ends up in hospital (and that is clearly incorrect by the way). Even if I give you that....many young people have it and never get tested because they have no symptoms.

The numbers and what the media report are wildly different. I have analysed the numbers that are supplied and nearly everything I have read in media is purposefully misinterpretting the numbers to scaremonger

I will probably get banned for saying what you are saying is wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Explain exponential before I can take you seriously!!

Cause you are talking ****e that the uneducated doctors in NPHET are talking. They clearly don understand exponential and nor do you!

How about you explain it? Stay off the cans maybe

Haha I am 10 times more qualified that NPHET to explain it....

e = 2.71828

Eulers number.....it is implicitly says that R = 2.71828

Mod snip

Please state your qualifications to question me?

I have circa 20 years building models as an actuary based on decrements such as this.

I do love these sad misery guts that love spend time been locked up calling for more locking up

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Please state your qualifications to question me?

I have circa 20 years building models as an actuary based on decrements such as this.

I do love these sad misery guts that love spend time been locked up calling for more locking up

If you read this thread you’ll see I’m far from one who wants us locked up.

For someone putting themselves forward as some sort of maths wizard who knows more than the professors on nphet it’s strange that you ask how covid grows exponentially.

If 1 person gets it and lives in a house with 3 others and passes it to them. Then those 3 go to work, pub, college or wherever and said 3 people pass it to 3 more each. Those 3 people then go home to their families and the growth continues.
    The initial 1 person is responsible for an exponentially growing number of cases.
    But hey.... that’s ok because that first person would prefer to live one more year rather than try reduce all that growth and protect the healthcare system and unnecessary death from non covid problems.

Again I reiterate the time for full lockdown has passed with vaccines now in the older community. A gradual reopening should be happening in April imo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

With the vaccine being rolled out there's alot to be said for reopening everything come Easter.

Cocoon the high risk and elderly until they're vaccinated, everyone still having to wear masks, restrict indoor gatherings as is currently the case, outdoor dining only, outdoor pints, quarantine and test everyone arriving into our ports for the next 3 months. Introduce vaccine passports. Everyone work from home for the rest of the year were possible.

Advertisement