Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residential Tenancy Board

Options
  • 18-05-2020 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Out of curiousity do the Residential Tenancy Board hand over information to Revenue and Welfare.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

katy39 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Out of curiousity do the Residential Tenancy Board hand over information to Revenue and Welfare.:)

What kind of information?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Yes, they do. If you are letting out a property, though, just pay your taxes and don't commit welfare fraud and you'll have no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭katy39

As regards tax, I was wondering do you not have the right to privacy between different goverment agencys ? I remember one a friend of mine registered with the ESB and they told the TV licence people where she was living which I think has stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

katy39 wrote: »
    As regards tax, I was wondering do you not have the right to privacy between different goverment agencys ? I remember one a friend of mine registered with the ESB and they told the TV licence people where she was living which I think has stopped.

The right to privacy can be overridden by legislation, and in the case of tax,often is. It has happened that information as been given to the tax authorities years after it was gathered and at the time it was gathered there was an assumption it was private. Cheat the tax man and if there is documentary evidence of it, assume it will come to light at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

The ESB might be subject to different laws regarding data sharing, as they're a state-owned corporation, not a government department.

In any case, as long as you've been reporting your rental income properly, you've nothing to worry about. If you haven't been reporting properly or paying the tax you owe, things will likely go much better for you if you make a disclosure to Revenue yourself to correct the issue rather than waiting for them to come to you; the latter could result in larger fines or even criminal prosecution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement