Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Regret

• 18-05-2020 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

*sorry to have upset people by this post it was to help people out incase it happened anyone else

*Mod note*
    can this thread be deleted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

A dog is for life, not just for lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Whatever you do don't get another dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Did you even check out who you were homing him to?? I hope it's someone you know? You made the decision Friday morning and gave him away that evening. That's madness. I really hope he's gone to good people who will take care of him.

Sorry for being harsh OP but... I don't think most people decide these things on a whim?

Did you even check out who you were homing him to?? I hope it's someone you know? ?

This is what I'm worried about. If the pup is gone to a good home with people you know then it's the best possible outcome for everybody.

The alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Dont ever get another dog!

If you cannot handle a puppy as its “crazy week”, then you simply cant look after an animal full time.

I handle two dogs full time, since they were puppies. They go everywhere with me. I hate to say it, you can regret all you want, that pup simply wants security and a home. If you cannot provide that and the time needed, then don’t get another please.

Animals are part of a family and know when they are being cared for and loved, simply getting rid of a “problem” is causing the animal issues in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

Dubdude wrote: »
    So on friday myself and my wife where completely drained, tired and worn out after a crazy week with our new pup. We had a chat and thought it would be best if we found a new home for the little guy, oh my god how wrong wer we, we have completely f**ked up and now have to live with this regret caused by our tiredness and spontanious decision :mad:. He was gone by friday evening and the next morning we knew we had made the worst possible decision.

I made contact with the new owners saturday afternoon and after begging and pleading they will not even consider how we are feeling. I have offered to compensate them for there troubles but they are having none of it. I know they don't have to but I guess we just really made a mess of what we have done.

I am not sharing this to be bashed and shamed for what we done but I guess I am writing this to help others incase anyone else is thinking the same.

That's sad to hear but now that ye know that ye really want a dog, ye can get another one when ye are ready.

Yester wrote: »
    That's sad to hear but now that ye know that ye really want a dog, ye can get another one when ye are ready.

This is a terrible idea.
    They didn't even like him enough to hang on to him when he was an adorable novelty. Imagine how quickly they'd dispose of a dog that became an inconvenience in old age or through illness?

This is a terrible idea.
    They didn't even like him enough to hang on to him when he was an adorable novelty. Imagine how quickly they'd dispose of a dog that became an inconvenience in old age or through illness?

It sounds like a learning experience. They only had the pup a week and it sounds like he is gone to a good home so no harm done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

It sounds like a learning experience. They only had the pup a week and it sounds like he is gone to a good home so no harm done.
    It doesn't sound like the dog is gone to a good home, given the the new owners have zero sympathy for the previous owners. You would think they should display some form of empathy.

august12 wrote: »
    It doesn't sound like the dog is gone to a good home, given the the new owners have zero sympathy for the previous owners. You would think they should display some form of empathy.

I didn't think of it that way. I thought they liked the pup so much that they wouldn't give him back.

• Advertisement

There's nothing to suggest he's gone to a good home.
    He's gone. That's all we know and that's all the OP cared about.

The sort of person who will jettison a puppy in the course of an afternoon is probably not going to go to any effort to see what sort of home he has gone to.
    The best we can hope for is a home.
    He could have a short future as a bait dog, or a longer one in in puppy farm, or he could be with people who will get bored of him and lock him in a back garden for the rest of his days.
    Edit to add: The kind of person who will bring home a pup on a whim is unlikely to be an ideal owner. And their reasons for not giving the pup back might not be as cozy as you imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

august12 wrote: »

Literally the exact opposite. The new owners know exactly what was going on and are the heroes of this story.

Literally the exact opposite. The new owners know exactly what was going on and are the heroes of this story.

That's a possibility and I hope you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Am I the only one with a bit of sympathy for the op. They made a spur of the moment decision through stress more then anything I would imagine and realised soon after it was the wrong one . I am presuming in all this that the op checked out the new home or owners before letting the dog go . Maybe op could confirm ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Let's get a puppy.
    Let's get rid of it after a week to the first person we can.
    We regret it the very next day and try to get it back
    Then start a thread about it on an Internet forum
    Then ask the mods to delete the thread

That's exactly why I was hoping when I heard they were looking at changing laws relating to dogs I was hoping they'd bring in an exam or test before issuing people with dog licences.

Animals should not have to suffer because of someones clear problems with impulse control.
    Hopefully the new owner could see this and that's why they kept the dog

spurshero wrote: »
    Am I the only one with a bit of sympathy for the op. They made a spur of the moment decision through stress more then anything I would imagine and realised soon after it was the wrong one . I am presuming in all this that the op checked out the new home or owners before letting the dog go . Maybe op could confirm ?

How would you advertise a pup in need of a home, check out a home and hand a pup over in the course of an afternoon during lockdown?

There's a possibility that the new owners know the OP and gladly swooped in to take the pup from a situation they knew wouldn't work out well, and that's why they're refusing to give him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thread closed as the OP has been removed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement