Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid opening and the ring road

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

It’s not office blocks in Parkmore, it’s factories. Those factories need bodies, and they can’t stay home.

There are thousands of office based jobs in Parkmore and many unrelated to the medical device industry. Even a lot of the medical companies have no direct manufacturing component, they're design or research based.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Really?

You’re telling me for about 30 to 40 twenty-step manufacturing processes, each step with a *minimum* of 1 operator (so 30x20, 600 people) plus the extra quality control & record keeping people that are required by law to oversee manufacturing output on medical devices, not to mention building maintenance and security, that they need 400 managers that are working from home?

I smell BS.

Thats not how modern manufacturing is done in an awful lot of Parkmore...

Operators aren't responsible for one step and not working directly building doesn't mean your a "manager"
    ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Even a lot of the medical companies have no direct manufacturing component, they're design or research based.

An awful lot of design and research cant be done from home. You physically need to build and test and prototype. Some can be done from home but far from all of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

WFH is great if it suits.
    One thought that’s occurred to me though is, if it became a long term thing, does it make “Ireland Inc” less attractive to the big US multinationals? What’s the point in having a site in Ireland if 80% of the employees are remote working. They may as well be in USA/China/Timbucktoo if there’s little or no physical presence here.

There’s going to be loads of unused office space too, there could be a lot less investment in office space, infrastructure etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

cooperguy wrote: »
    An awful lot of design and research cant be done from home. You physically need to build and test and prototype. Some can be done from home but far from all of it

This. R&D is pretty hands on.

PCeeeee wrote: »

Fair enough, medical device research isn't my area but I thought a lot of it would have been computer modelling of components and fatigue analysis before getting to physical prototypes.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, medical device research isn't my area but I thought a lot of it would have been computer modelling of components and fatigue analysis before getting to physical prototypes.

It's a bit of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are thousands of office based jobs in Parkmore and many unrelated to the medical device industry. Even a lot of the medical companies have no direct manufacturing component, they're design or research based.

How did they get planning permission to put thousands of office based jobs in an industrial estate? Office jobs are supposed to be only incidental to the company's main business.

How did they get planning permission to put thousands of office based jobs in an industrial estate? Office jobs are supposed to be only incidental to the company's main business.

The main business is medical devices but there is undoubtedly thousands of office jobs related to the business (but a huge amount of the work is far removed from the device, many of the office workers wouldn't know one end of a med device from the other)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The main business is medical devices but there is undoubtedly thousands of office jobs related to the business (but a huge amount of the work is far removed from the device, many of the office workers wouldn't know one end of a med device from the other)

I was responding to this though:

Businesses unrelated to manufacturing should not be in an industrial estate.

The likes of medtronic are in an IDA Business & Technology Park, which includes the likes of EA Sports.

Parkmore also encompases Parkmore East Business Park (SAP, Fidelity, Oracle), Galway Technology Park (civil engineering, architecture, HR, legal, accountancy, IT and other companies), a lot more than just the medical device factories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

JoeA3 wrote: »
    WFH is great if it suits.
    One thought that’s occurred to me though is, if it became a long term thing, does it make “Ireland Inc” less attractive to the big US multinationals?

Well given they are more interested in our Tax Code and that isn't changing (well unless the Commission wins the Apple case) I doubt we'll see any major change in US investment in Ireland

Im not sure Parkmore is classified the way you think it is. There's loads of non-manufacturing business

I work in R&D and as I said only about 20% of the time am I actually working hands on with stuff the rest is design, planning, project management, supply chain and sourcing components for builds, working on securing the next contracts with clients (a lot of technical input needed) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I work in R&D and as I said only about 20% of the time am I actually working hands on with stuff the rest is design, planning, project management, supply chain and sourcing components for builds, working on securing the next contracts with clients (a lot of technical input needed) etc.

As do I nox. I guess it depends on your role/product but I would see the reverse of your split.

I was responding to this though:

Why wouldn’t there be office jobs in industrial estates, that’s what they are for just as much as manufacturing. There or huge amounts of office based jobs industrial estates in Ireland. Loads of software jobs for example. Just look at the businesses in parkmore most aren’t manufacturing.
    As do I nox. I guess it depends on your role/product but I would see the reverse of your split.

Agreed it depends on the role and also what stage projects are at. Get a few together needing hands on work and the split changes. Also depends if you have people under you doing the work who you are coordinating or if you have to actually do it yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

The ring road will be put on the long finger and the money diverted to some project in the capital or used to bail out the city of culture

Advertisement