Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should prisoners have to work?

Options
  • 18-05-2020 1:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭

So I’m not talking about a chain-gang style system. But surely prisoners can pay some sort of debt to society, like litter picking or something like that, which benefits the society they’ve sinned against?

Obviously enough there’s the logistics side of things, but is it not still an issue worth exploring?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Unions for the people who normally do that type of work would be up in arms over it claiming that some of their work is being taken away to be done by unpaid labour and that it harms their future propects and will reduced opportunities for people who might be inclined to start at that job.

CE schemes were done before, I know people who had to supervise and organise them. Some were fine and could work away grand but others were less than useless and cause all sorts of issues. In general the feeling was that it was more hassle than it was worth in terms of work done. And that is a CE scheme - imagine what it would be like with prisoners with a whole range of addiction, personality and mental problems on top of whatever criminal or violent tendencies they might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Unions for the people who normally do that type of work would be up in arms over it claiming that some of their work is being taken away to be done by unpaid labour and that it harms their future propects and will reduced opportunities for people who might be inclined to start at that job.

CE schemes were done before, I know people who had to supervise and organise them. Some were fine and could work away grand but others were less than useless and cause all sorts of issues. In general the feeling was that it was more hassle than it was worth in terms of work done. And that is a CE scheme - imagine what it would be like with prisoners with a whole range of addiction, personality and mental problems on top of whatever criminal or violent tendencies they might have.

I think you might be mixing up Community Service and CE schemes, Community Service is applied to avoid the individual going to prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Cobalt17 wrote: »
    So I’m not talking about a chain-gang style system. But surely prisoners can pay some sort of debt to society, like litter picking or something like that, which benefits the society they’ve sinned against?

Obviously enough there’s the logistics side of things, but is it not still an issue worth exploring?

It worked out well for Andy Dufresne and Red. Those beers sure looked nice

No, I'm definitely talking about community employment in the second paragraph. They are a headache.

I'm saying that if CE schemes are bad, imagine how bad prisoners are going to be what with all the extra problems they have.

Community service is a different thing. Sure I know cases where someone was ordered to do hours of CS and because of the nature of their regular job, that qualified as CS so they just worked away as usual and had the parole officer sign off on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

If they're paid a fair wage sure

• Advertisement

No, I'm definitely talking about community employment.

Are you sure ? I've been on a CE scheme and cant remember being in prison.
    CE schemes heavily vet applicants and while convictions dont exclude you from them , there is no connection between prison and CE schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I'd have them labouring on new prison construction.
    Apparently the current prisons are bursting

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭square ball

They should definitely have to do something. Prison sentences in this country are not a deterrent to stop people from committing crime. You would imagine if prison was a tougher place to go a certain amount of people after their first visit would straighten themselves out or sort themselves out so they don't have to go back.

It seems to be a bit of a holiday camp especially for frequent visitors who don't mind going back to meet family/friends etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Need to be careful it doesn't devolve into slave labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

They should definitely have to do something. Prison sentences in this country are not a deterrent to stop people from committing crime. You would imagine if prison was a tougher place to go a certain amount of people after their first visit would straighten themselves out or sort themselves out so they don't have to go back.

It seems to be a bit of a holiday camp especially for frequent visitors who don't mind going back to meet family/friends etc.

A gilded cage is still a cage,

• Advertisement

No, I'm definitely talking about community employment in the second paragraph. They are a headache.

I'm saying that if CE schemes are bad, imagine how bad prisoners are going to be what with all the extra problems they have.

Community service is a different thing. Sure I know cases where someone was ordered to do hours of CS and because of the nature of their regular job, that qualified as CS so they just worked away as usual and had the parole officer sign off on it.

Probation officers are not directly involved with Community Serice, they do not sign off .... theres no such title as a Parole Officer in Ireland.

Are you sure ? I've been on a CE scheme and cant remember being in prison.
    CE schemes heavily vet applicants and while convictions dont exclude you from them , there is no connection between prison and CE schemes.

I am sure. I never said CE was anything to do with prison. they are schemes for long term unemployed, or for diversion.
    CS is court ordered work.

My point is that from what I have been told, CE schemes are a headache to supervise as you can sometimes end up with people who have problems that might be the source of their long term unemployed status - issues with authority, poor work ethic, no skills or previous work experience to speak of, no common sense, or just being stone fúcking useless in general. For a supervisor who has to babysit them and then do all their other regular work along with it, it is a headache. I'm told they are just more hassle than they are worth.

Again, my point being, if that is what you get with people who are just in on the dole long term, what kind of shítshow are you going to end up being forced to babysit if it is prisoners that you given to do work.

Probation officers are not directly involved with Community Serice, they do not sign off .... theres no such title as a Parole Officer in Ireland.

yeah OK, the probation i meant. you know what I mean like.

I have a friend who works in this field with offenders, ex offenders and CS. A CS might get assigned to work with them at their workplace, my friend then has to sign off that they did x no of hours, and this then goes to the probation officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sasal

Tougher sentences do not mean lower rates of reoffending.
    Norway has on of the lowest rate of recidivism in the world but if their policies were adopted in Ireland I'm sure people would be screaming about political correctness gone mad.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-48885846

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Rodin wrote: »
    I'd have them labouring on new prison construction.
    Apparently the current prisons are bursting

Prisoners building prisons?

yeah OK, the probation i meant. you know what I mean like.

I have a friend who works in this field with offenders, ex offenders and CS. A CS might get assigned to work with them at their workplace, my friend then has to sign off that they did x no of hours, and this then goes to the probation officer.

Through my own employment, I regularly interact with Probation Officers, individuals on probation and others on community service. Interesting how people have different perspectives.

For anyone that thinks prison here is "easy" then I can tell you it isn't.
    My friend has told me all about it as they work with offenders.

There is a constant suspicion about snitches. People who want to get bits of jobs in the prison have to have good behaviour and stay on the right side of the guards. That leads to suspicion of being a snitch, for which you can get cut.
    Others can cut you for looking at them wrong. Drugs are a major problem. So is overcrowding. Slopping out was only recently done away with.
    The whole notion of irish prisons being like hotels is a complete myth.

the main reason that sentences are so lenient and why most sentences are suspended or poor boxed is because there is no space in the prisons to hold additional people. As such, prison space, in general, is reserved for the most dangerous and the most violent and those most likely to cause harm to the public. Occasionally someone is sent there for more pedestrian crimes like TV licence, tax on garlic etc, just to send a public message on those issues.

I am sure. I never said CE was anything to do with prison. they are schemes for long term unemployed, or for diversion.
    CS is court ordered work.

My point is that from what I have been told, CE schemes are a headache to supervise as you can sometimes end up with people who have problems that might be the source of their long term unemployed status - issues with authority, poor work ethic, no skills or previous work experience to speak of, no common sense, or just being stone fúcking useless in general. For a supervisor who has to babysit them and then do all their other regular work along with it, it is a headache. I'm told they are just more hassle than they are worth.

Again, my point being, if that is what you get with people who are just in on the dole long term, what kind of shítshow are you going to end up being forced to babysit if it is prisoners that you given to do work.

I've been on a CE scheme , have lots of colleagues who are supervisors , I think I've pretty good work ethic , have a trade and third level education and in the past had periods of unemployment.
    I took a scheme to keep myself busy

I get the idea that certain posters are after, mailbag, licence plates like the US , The problem here is th at it is more likely that it would be used to displace real jobs, some people in our society are quite happy to profit off slave Labour, either from prisoners or employment schemes, while that small but connected group exist and have the ear of profit before people politicians it isn't a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A loose block here, a secret hatch there, I don't see how it could go wrong.

• Advertisement

I've been on a CE scheme , have lots of colleagues who are supervisors , I think I've pretty good work ethic , have a trade and third level education and in the past had periods of unemployment.
    I took a scheme to keep myself busy

That's grand and I'm sure you do, and I'm sure plenty of the lads do. But as with anything, along with the good and motivated, there are some of them who are problematic and need to be hand held at every step and a generally a paint to deal with that make the whole process a headache.

kowloon wrote: »
    A loose block here, a secret hatch there, I don't see how it could go wrong.

Dont forget tattooing the plans

CS is court ordered work..........

My Dad did one after taking voluntary redundancy ........ he worked as a care taker in local school. Himself and the other folk on the scheme weren't at all as you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They would be pretty limited in what they could do in prison.

If they are taken out of prison for a day a week or whatever they’d need to be supervised, transported etc.. you’d imagine that could or would be prohibitive in terms of cost of operating transportation, security etc...

Augeo wrote: »
    My Dad did one after taking voluntary redundancy ........ he worked as a care taker in local school. Himself and the other folk on the scheme weren't at all as you describe.

Poster you are replying to has a "friend " can counteract your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I do remember a nice village that was using people on the CE to tend the flower beds in the village and cut the grass etc being an absolute disaster that the council had to take over it again and use actual workers

The village was known for its famous rose beds, was stunning now, roses in baskets over hanging the river, loads of flower beds at all entrances to the places etc

However once the CE lads took over flowers planted and dying after a few weeks, loads of leaves and briars thrown on footpaths, grass areas only being hit and missed cut along with leaving lumps grass on the road and paths ways etc

I don't know if the workers were just useless or a cute way of getting out of having to do it

Frankly I wasn't too sorry as it was during teh recession and some fulltime council workers who worked those jobs for years were let go and never replaced as the council were licking their lips at the free labour from the unemployed on the scheme and it backfired spectacularly

What could go wrong?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Catedral

• Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Outside of the costs involved.
    Would anybody really want these lads around there village or town even if they were supervised.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

But surely prisoners can pay some sort of debt to society,

Definitely the CAB should be going through all their posessions etc after being convicted of any serious offence.
    Reduce their dole after release.

Say what you like, but I wish society had the balls to bring back the death penalty for very serious crimes.

• Advertisement

For anyone that thinks prison here is "easy" then I can tell you it isn't.
    My friend has told me all about it as they work with offenders.

There is a constant suspicion about snitches. People who want to get bits of jobs in the prison have to have good behaviour and stay on the right side of the guards. That leads to suspicion of being a snitch, for which you can get cut.
    Others can cut you for looking at them wrong. Drugs are a major problem. So is overcrowding. Slopping out was only recently done away with.
    The whole notion of irish prisons being like hotels is a complete myth.

the main reason that sentences are so lenient and why most sentences are suspended or poor boxed is because there is no space in the prisons to hold additional people. As such, prison space, in general, is reserved for the most dangerous and the most violent and those most likely to cause harm to the public. Occasionally someone is sent there for more pedestrian crimes like TV licence, tax on garlic etc, just to send a public message on those issues.

They have PlayStation and TV in the cells.

There's jobs and courses available.

They have a gym and a rec room compete with pool or snooker.

They have movies and books available.

Being 'cut' is exceptionally rare.

TV license prisoners are people who thought they were smarter than the system and refused the dozen chances to avoid prison.

I don't know a criminal that would describe it as 'nice' or like a hotel but I have had honest conversations with many who aren't worried about it and some, usually at their lowest due to drugs and mental health, who welcome it for the treatment and warm bed it will provide.

Advertisement