Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should prisoners have to work?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's a job that's worth paying for so i don't think prisoners should do it as slave labour.

I've no issue with that to be honest. Prison should be a deterrent and somewhere people really don't want to end up - not the revolving door mollycoddled B&B it is for many of them now where they come out worse than when they went in.

As for paying then a fair wage - ha! Why? They're already getting free food, accommodation and entertainment. Why shouldn't they have to give something back to the community/country they offended.

Would have zero issue with the US chain gang system. Look at the Garda twitter feed. For motoring offences alone you've guys driving around with no tax, license or insurance habitually and dozens of convictions. Yet they are still doing it because there's no reason not to (for them).

It's this idiotic softly-softly and feels approach from when they're teenagers causing hassle that leads to far bigger problems later.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Your on the right track
    Prison time should be seen as the most embarrassing thing you have ever done and not something to brag about

Yeah but that's always going to be the case. If you're just out of prison fo you tell the lads it was terrible and you're scared of going back? Or do you style it and say it was easy and youd do it again, no bother?

You know the saggy trousers fashion amongst gang members in the US? That's said to be about young lads in prison being sexually available or already claimed by one of the higher up inmates. In either case, if being raped can be turned into something to brag about, then even wearing a silly outfit in a chain gang is not going to be shameful to those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

biko wrote: »
    We're not all like you Princess :)

But yeah, ship Dub scum to Cork to clean the "disadvantaged areas", and Limerick and Cork scum to Dublin.

Stoppit, Stoppit, I'm gonna......!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

There's a show on CBS Reality right now called Troubled Teens: Jail Shock. Its notinally a show where they frighten frighten children with harsh reality of jail. They have guards and inmates shout at th echildren, threaten beatings and sexual assault on them, pin them down and steal their socks, pressure thm for Information on who threatened or attacked them and then brand them a snitch.

It's just an opportunity for adults to bully children. It genuinely looks like they're all loving it, guards and oates alike. Im looking at it and I'd see it as a primer course for criminals and absolutely nothing to do with scaring then straight.

It's just a programme for guards and inmates who enjoy shouting in the face of a crying child. Fascinating to watch and im sure it's absolutely useless for everyone excpet the ones who enjoy abusing children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    That's as much a consequence of the state of the DDR as anything intrinsic to national service.

Some of the best militaries have been conscript based, not least because it gives the military the pick of the best 18 year olds rather than having to take whoever shows up at the recruiting office.

For example the IDF is hardly a bunch of unmotivated dossers and the Bundeswehr has had quality issues with switching to all-volunteer, including Nazis enlisting.

I agree that you won't get good work out of prisoners forced to work against their will though.

What do you mean it gives them the pick of the best 18 year olds. Those who show up at the recruiting office don't just wander in there by accident. They volunteer. They want to join up. If a blind man or a cripple comes in requesting to enlist the recruiter is going to politely say "Ehmm, perhaps you ought to reconsider. There are many other careers that you'd be better suited to."

By contrast the military don't just know who is going to be a great candidate to draft and who is not. They select everybody in waves. They send out letters to everybody telling them to report for duty. Many of the recipients of those letters are simply not qualified to pass basic training let alone be a good soldier. Epilepsy, narcolepsy, Downs Syndrome, Autism, being paralysed from a road accident, being DEAD, etc. How does the military know the condition of those they are drafting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Point taken ;) My remark was lazy and ill-thought out.

What's your solution? Honest question

My reply to you was a bit nasty. I apologise. You were gracious enough to admit that your post was a bit misguided and I'm sorry for not acknowledging that.

My solution...again I don't really know. But as a scientific person I'm a firm believer in eliminating the cause not the symptom when confronted with problems.

Why do people commit crimes? Some do out of necessity, some do out of greed, some do out of a momentary lapse of reason, some do because they enjoy it and some do because they are mentally unwell or are just horrible bastards. The ones who enjoy it and the horrible bastards are the hardest nuts to crack.

The momentary lapse cases are probably the easiest. They made a mistake or got drunk and acted out of character. Stole a car to impress a girl or smashed up a car because a girl dumped them. Nobody was hurt. Have them pay restitution to the car owner, get some counselling and learn to handle their emotions. Having them be ashamed of what they did is a much better remedy than making them suffer.

If you can make people realise the reward in making others happy and being admired it is a difficult thing to undo.

The mental cases need treatment, the ones who do it out of necessity...then the necessity should be addressed.

The greedy ones who would rather steal than work need to be punished. But they also need a lifestyle change.....like someone with obesity or high blood pressure. If they they continue to eat McDonald's for breakfast, lunch and dinner, nothing's going to change. They need to change their patterns.

Environment and training and parenting all play a part too as does schooling. Not all criminals come from sink estates and broken homes and have no respect for the Guards. Look at those rich-kid thugs who kicked a guy to death outside Annabel's night club and got away with it because of Daddy's wallet I have more respect for some scrote who got drunk and punched up someone in a pub and then took his punishment like a man and expressed remorse for his actions than those pampered dickheads who never expressed an ounce of remorse and bought they way out of a murder conviction.

Anyway......look at the causes of criminality and try to tackle those. Scandinavian countries seem to have it sussed with their rehabilitation methods.

Advertisement