Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R/tist in the spotlight ReeReeG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying this thread... lots of great answers! A super choice by L!
    Really kind words and then I read the questions :p

1) Have you worn your mentor's 'SLOW DOWN' t-shirt on many runs? How conspicuous did you feel? :pac:
    Yeah just once and VERY!! it's a bit giant on me as well! I was thinking one day recently on a run that I could do with it while being off the path and on the road so much - some motorists could do with slowing down!!

2) If you could end Covid-19 by sacrificing one fellow 2018 novice, who would you choose, and why Comic Book Guy?
    Amazing. So many reasons why it would be CBG :pac: numero uno being the sandbagging in DCM 2019, closely followed by his inability to use Garmin Connect :P

3) What are your thoughts on the strava w*nkers twitter account?
    I enjoy it immensely, even if sometimes they sneer at things I am 100% guilty of :rolleyes: e.g. they see running past your house a few times to round up to the next mile / km as a w*nky thing to do! It is funny to see what people get up to on it for bragging rights, but I suppose it's just a different version of what people do on Instagram with facetune and photoshop etc.

4) You've mentioned a preference for 10k races - do you have a long-term dream target time for that distance?
    Well.. yeah, I'd love a sub 40 someday but I really don't know how realistic a dream that is. But there is no harm in having big dreams sometimes, once you're not expecting a magical result overnight. If you said it would take 5 years to chip away at it, then I'd happily do just that.

5) Who would you rather for company on a desert island - Tom Cruise or a Jack Russell?
    ... this is impossible. And I can't even swim, so that's not an option. I'd have to pick Tom Cruise but I don't think he'd survive if ya get me

6) How many different parkrun courses have you tried?
    Had to go check this one.. 26! Ireland, UK and USA :D

Thanks for the questions A, some interesting ones :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

ReeReeG wrote: »

3) What are your thoughts on the strava w*nkers twitter account?
    I enjoy it immensely, even if sometimes they sneer at things I am 100% guilty of :rolleyes: e.g. they see running past your house a few times to round up to the next mile / km as a w*nky thing to do!
    I actually did this earlier. God, I'm such a w*nker
    :)

Really enjoying this , Fair play

1. I see you play the tin whistle and like a bit of Irish music. What would be your favourite tune to play?

2. What would you classify as your proudest moment?

3. I see you recently started training by HR. Is this something you would recommend to others?

4. If you could be a fictional character who would you pick and why?

I actually did this earlier. God, I'm such a w*nker
    :)
    I think a lot of us on here are guilty of it!

1. I see you play the tin whistle and like a bit of Irish music. What would be your favourite tune to play?
    Hmm.. I feel like this is yet another thing that depends on my mood! Probably would go for a set of jigs mostly, there's a great one I got reminded of lately called The Cat's Meow - some Irish tune names are great :pac: if feeling a bit more energetic, there are some great reel sets and my favourite is one that features on an album called One Night in Harlow's featuring none other than Charlie McGettigan, The Mount Cisco Set. Irish music is the only genre that is guaranteed to put me in good humour, it just gets into my bones :D

2. What would you classify as your proudest moment?
    Oh easy, raising over 6,500 euro for St.Anne's cancer ward in St. Vincent's when I ran the Limerick marathon. The response from friends,family and colleagues to that fundraiser was incredible and a little overwhelming at times!

3. I see you recently started training by HR. Is this something you would recommend to others?
    I see a lot of benefits to it yeah, but I'll wait to finish this training plan anyway before I make a final assessment! I like that I'm not watching pace and keeping things properly easy on the days I should, as the pace corresponding to that can really vary when I see it afterwards. It's keeping me more honest in that respect.

4. If you could be a fictional character who would you pick and why?
    So many to choose from.. maybe Hermione Granger from Harry Potter :pac: living in a magical world sounds pretty cool and she's a badass. She'd probably find a solution to the pandemic problems too :D

Cheers for the questions D :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Fair play to you for taking this one on V :) some excellent questions and answers.
    Sorry I'm only getting to these now - most of "mine" have been asked already it seems.
    Thanks for the earlier nod in the direction of the DCM 2017 Novices Thread btw :D

1 - Where do the 5 in a row Dubs rank in terms of all time great GAA teams? Would the Offaly team of '82 have beaten them?
    Séamus Darby's biography is a great read actually.

2 - Apart from Inishbofin, how many islands have you run on?

3 - Favourite Jack Reacher book? ( I refused to watch the films - biggest miscasting in history :rolleyes: )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

1. What has surprised you the most about running?
    2. Do you believe in the so called runner's high?
    3. How do you pass the time on long flights?
    4. How did you feel when you went through the door at McGrattans?
    5. Favourite Irishism?
    6. Fashion trend (men or women) you just don't get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Finally getting to read one of these properly and respond (missed the last two)

Great read so far fair play

Running and Rugby aside if you had the choice what sport would you like to line up for in the Olympics?

Worst mistake you have made on race day?

Most memorable session you have ever done?

Swashbuckler, skyblue, Oonegative. Kiss/Marry/Kill?

Money no option, bucket list race?

Go to meal to make an impression with your cooking skills?

Fair play to you for taking this one on V :) some excellent questions and answers.
    Sorry I'm only getting to these now - most of "mine" have been asked already it seems.
    Thanks for the earlier nod in the direction of the DCM 2017 Novices Thread btw :D

Cheers J! Ah that was a brilliant mentored thread ;)

1 - Where do the 5 in a row Dubs rank in terms of all time great GAA teams? Would the Offaly team of '82 have beaten them?
    Séamus Darby's biography is a great read actually.
    I don't know that I'm knowledgeable enough about football to answer that first one, but my Offaly heart says very low down :D Ah no, they're a savage team and for the motivation and drive to stay on top to remain so strong is an admirable feat in itself. Two of my nephews are Dubs so it's been hard listening to them :rolleyes: I don't think you can compare a team from the 80s to any team right now though.. very different set-ups i.e. quite amateur vs verging on professionals. That said, the 80s lot would be rougher so that could make it interesting! I haven't read Seamus Darby's book but I'd know enough about his life already (his mother shared my surname, I'll say no more ;))

2 - Apart from Inishbofin, how many islands have you run on?

Haha, not enough! Can we count Ireland?! I ran on Ischia last summer alright, and Mykonos the summer before.. Don't think I ventured out in Santorini... Bere Island parkrun is on the list though, every now and again I'd plan out how I'd get there for it!

3 - Favourite Jack Reacher book? ( I refused to watch the films - biggest miscasting in history :rolleyes: )
    Emmm they're kinda all the same?! Which is what I like about them, page turning thrillers! There was the one where it went back to his army days which was good, nice to see some of the origin story!

And THANK YOU, yes, what were they thinking!! I see one of them is going up on Netflix next month, enough to (nearly) make me cancel my subscription :p

Thanks for the questions!

1. What has surprised you the most about running?
    How addictive it is?! The running "community" has been a nice and unexpected side too, outside of here and parkrun even. You know when you're in a meeting or have a new colleague and you spot a Garmin on someone's wrist (and you're hoping they're not a cyclist :p) and bam, a runner and you have something great to talk about! I like that.

2. Do you believe in the so called runner's high?
    I suppose so, yeah, if you're "buzzing" all day after a race, which I have definitely experienced! There is definitely a big sense of satisfaction when you've completed a session, especially if you'd dreaded it or had massive doubts halfway through, I've also had that.

3. How do you pass the time on long flights?
    Reading, watching movies and snoozing! Oh and drinking pacman.gif I am not one of those people who feel inclined to work on a flight. I suppose I also spend a large amount of time people watching. It's a great time for a bit of that.

4. How did you feel when you went through the door at McGrattans?
    Well... in 2018 I had DNF'd and I was queasy, so not all that great at first! It was really lovely to meet people (finally) from on here, so that was a pick-me-up!

2019 was a cool experience, given I had been giving hopefully good advice to people online and about to meet them at last! It was funny how some novices really matched what I had expected from the thread, and others not at all!!!! That was a great day actually, out cheering people on in Milltown.. being in actual crowds!

5. Favourite Irishism?
    I do love "Go way" when in fact you do not at all want the person to go away, but really want them to keep talking. My mother also says "in the heel of the reel" which I can only guess grew out of something to do with Irish dancing??

Have you seen Philly McMahon's wedding outfit? I don't think I need to say anymore than that.

Thanks for those!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Have you seen Philly McMahon's wedding outfit? I don't think I need to say anymore than that.

Had to Google that. Shocking!!!

KSU wrote: »
    Finally getting to read one of these properly and respond (missed the last two)

Great read so far fair play

Running and Rugby aside if you had the choice what sport would you like to line up for in the Olympics?
    Gymnastics!! Flippin' love it, especially the floor routine stuff! I'm short, but lack the flexibility, strength, rhythm and poise, but otherwise I'd say I'd be deadly at it.

I feel like the worst mistakes are the ones you make in the training in the lead-up to a race day, but race day itself? The day I decided to run a 5k having gotten stitches a couple of days previously, that was silly. Raheny 2017 I left for the race without my race number and had to go back and ended up rushing a lot, also bad.

Oh, easy, the long run session Maria McCambridge led with our meet & train group before DCM 2018. I'd never done anything like it, and definitely pushed myself more than I thought possible, so it really stands out. We did an hour's warm-up, then 3 sets of 5x1km with 200m off.. first set was MP, second a little faster and 3rd a little faster again. Class and fun.

What in heaven's name sort of question is this!!

I wouldn't kiss anyone without their consent ;) I'd probably have to kill OOnegative if the sweating stories are to be believed, couldn't be marrying that and sure I'll marry skyblue seeing as he is the only one of the 3 I've actually met IRL :pac:

I don't have any bucket list races really, but if I had the means it would be cool to do all the marathon majors I suppose? I must start looking up worldwide races to make a list for when I win the lotto. I like NYC to visit, so maybe I'll start with that one. I did enter the lottery for it but just because I was pressured into it by clubmates!

I prefer to cook brunch than dinner and I make a lovely chorizo hash dish :) if I do say so myself. Plus with brunch, it's an excuse to drink prosecco in the morning

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Had to Google that. Shocking!!!

Whew, there was a chance I was insulting your own intended wedding suit there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Gymnastics!! Flippin' love it, especially the floor routine stuff! I'm short, but lack the flexibility, strength, rhythm and poise, but otherwise I'd say I'd be deadly at it.

I feel like the worst mistakes are the ones you make in the training in the lead-up to a race day, but race day itself? The day I decided to run a 5k having gotten stitches a couple of days previously, that was silly. Raheny 2017 I left for the race without my race number and had to go back and ended up rushing a lot, also bad.

Oh, easy, the long run session Maria McCambridge led with our meet & train group before DCM 2018. I'd never done anything like it, and definitely pushed myself more than I thought possible, so it really stands out. We did an hour's warm-up, then 3 sets of 5x1km with 200m off.. first set was MP, second a little faster and 3rd a little faster again. Class and fun.

What in heaven's name sort of question is this!!

I wouldn't kiss anyone without their consent ;) I'd probably have to kill OOnegative if the sweating stories are to be believed, couldn't be marrying that and sure I'll marry skyblue seeing as he is the only one of the 3 I've actually met IRL :pac:

I don't have any bucket list races really, but if I had the means it would be cool to do all the marathon majors I suppose? I must start looking up worldwide races to make a list for when I win the lotto. I like NYC to visit, so maybe I'll start with that one. I did enter the lottery for it but just because I was pressured into it by clubmates!

I prefer to cook brunch than dinner and I make a lovely chorizo hash dish :) if I do say so myself. Plus with brunch, it's an excuse to drink prosecco in the morning

Dead I am so, darn it turned down by ANOTHER Offaly woman!! Like the Bridge House all over again.

skyblue46 is to old, he takes his false teeth out to sleep FFS, Swashbuckler is the way to go here!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Dead I am so, darn it turned down by ANOTHER Offaly woman!! Like the Bridge House all over again.

skyblue46 is to old, he takes his false teeth out to sleep FFS, Swashbuckler is the way to go here!!

Haha poor S :pac: Swashbuckler username makes me think of Inigo Montoya from The Princess Bride :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Hi ReeReeG,

Whats your favourite session or type of session?

Favourite running shoes?

What advice have you for anyone considering their first marathon? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

So just to clarify..... Am I getting the shift or not?

So just to clarify..... Am I getting the shift or not?

:pac: apparently you're a better choice than skyblue cos you've teeth?!

KSU wrote:

Sets me up with my training and sets me up with the ladies......... What a guy...

MY BAD wrote: »
    Hi ReeReeG,

Hi :)

Whats your favourite session or type of session?
    I like a 1 or 2 min hard reps kind-of session most I think! It always feel great to stretch out the legs fully, or close to it, and feel strong and the rep does usually end before the burning in the lungs is too much!

Favourite running shoes?

Right now, I'd have to say Nike Vomeros. Picked up a pair a few months back and I loved them from the first wear. They've a bit of cushion, good support around the ankles and didn't need any breaking in which is unusual for me! Ill be interested to see how long they last. I did also get a pair of Under Armour

Charged Pursuit runners during lockdown (on discount!) as I was curious to try out UA shoes and I'm really liking them also. Very light, and again didn't need any breaking in. I've been wearing them for some of my speedwork and they've been great. They're also quite fashionable looking which is rare for running shoes in my experience!

What advice have you for anyone considering their first marathon? :pac:
    Be ready to feel serious fatigue about 8 weeks into the plan :D but there is light on the other side! Get into a good S&C routine ahead of a marathon plan, the body needs that to be ready for the mileage. And to enjoy the whole experience ;)

ReeReeG wrote:
    apparently you're a better choice than skyblue cos you've teeth?!

I guess it comes down to whether you like a gummy shift or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Really enjoying reading this :)

What was the hardest part of being a mentor? And then what was the most rewarding part?

Did you get p!ssed off much when people didn't listen sometimes(present company especially ;) )

Are you a creative person?

What gets you through the tough parts of a race?

You said previously you had built up an idea of what certain people were like from boards but some surprised you when you met in McGrattons...was I one of the surprises or as you imagined:D

• Advertisement

Sets me up with my training and sets me up with the ladies......... What a guy...

Needed a woman to get between you three. Tension is palpable on the TT thread

KSU wrote: »
    Needed a woman to get between you three. Tension is palpable on the TT thread
    And what, I'm volunteered as tribute?! Cheers for that :pac:

Really enjoying reading this :)

Thanks E :)

What was the hardest part of being a mentor? And then what was the most rewarding part?
    Oh I think Mr G really took the brunt of it all!! The hardest part is questioning yourself though and hoping you're not saying anything stupid / bad to people - then again, there are plenty on here who wouldn't be shy in sharing their opinion :pac: (and rightly so). Ah it was honestly just a privilege to be part of people's marathon experience and if they even got one thing from all that we shared, that's a good thing. Seeing the happy faces in McGrattan's was just lovely.

Did you get p!ssed off much when people didn't listen sometimes(present company especially ;) )
    Haha you had us very concerned, and curious who the eff was telling you to do those midweek sessions :D emm p*ssed off it strong, it was really genuine concern.. (I won't go check the whatsapps in case I was effin' and blindin'). I think everyone takes time to realise slowing down is beneficial, and we had all been in the same boat the previous year, so it was just a matter of repeating it until people listened!

Are you a creative person?

Sometimes.. the telly wasn't put on too much growing up so we had to play and cultivate our creative sides. I'm useless at painting / drawing unlike some of the rest of them, but I have written 'stuff'..mostly parodies about my friends, nothing too lyrical :pac:

What gets you through the tough parts of a race?
    I'm not sure I have figured that out yet! I've succumbed to the negative thoughts in the past, but the days where I've battled through, it was by thinking about the training and the tougher sessions that I had been able to complete. It's something I still need to work on, and hopefully I'll have all the answers in a few years :D

You said previously you had built up an idea of what certain people were like from boards but some surprised you when you met in McGrattons...was I one of the surprises or as you imagined:D

Haha this could get dodgy :pac: ah yeah you were, considering you had mentioned a grandchild I definitely had a completely wrong picture in my head! But a PLEASANT surprise it was ;)

Thanks for the Qs!

And what, I'm volunteered as tribute?! Cheers for that :pac:

Needed a strong Offaly woman to keep those lads in line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Haha you had us very concerned, and curious who the eff was telling you to do those midweek sessions :D emm p*ssed off it strong, it was really genuine concern.. (I won't go check the whatsapps in case I was effin' and blindin'). I think everyone takes time to realise slowing down is beneficial, and we had all been in the same boat the previous year, so it was just a matter of repeating it until people listened!

And yet this is the man you choose to marry:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Really enjoying these AMAs :)
    You know when you're in a meeting or have a new colleague and you spot a Garmin on someone's wrist (and you're hoping they're not a cyclist :p).......

You can't leave us hanging there. What did cyclists do that you can't stand them? :pac::pac::P:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

If you had a running podcast what would you discuss?
    Favourite thing in nature?

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Really enjoying these AMAs :)

You can't leave us hanging there. What did cyclists do that you can't stand them? :pac::pac::P:D

Oh god nothing, I don't want the cyclists coming for me! I just wouldn't be able to have long conversations about cycling with them :P if someone is a runner then I can have chats about parkrun and running shoes and races :D

If you had a running podcast what would you discuss?
    This is a difficult one. It would have to try to be something different to what's already available... if the place was back to normal, maybe a weekly round up of the country's races and have someone on to speak about a particular course :pac: I could call upon Boardsies for different ones

Favourite thing in nature?
    Well, we know it's not animals! The bog maybe :pac: it's what I know!
    I dunno.. I'm not much into nature it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Very late to the party here.....thankfully :pac:

Despite the fact that I have a few teeth left I think you made the right choice in switching your affections to Swashbuckler as I have a huge interest in cycling...more than I have in running actually.

Not many questions left to ask, certainly running related.

Have you ever had a mad hair colour? Anything radically different to now?

Would you race in compression socks?

Can you ever foresee a situation where you might feign injury or illness to step off the course?

Have you run outside your permitted radius?

What's the longest distance you'd consider doing as a TT?

Do you ever watch any soaps on TV?

Does 00Negatives horrendous sweating....

A) make your skin crawl
    B) churn your stomach
    C) make your blood run cold
    D) make you shudder
    E) all of the above

Well done on a great thread, it has been a brilliant read.

Advertisement