Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish rental market needs more regulation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Another thread where the opener fails to mention rogue tenants, instead focusing on landlords. Pointless thread if there is no balance.

Landowners by nature are always the among the most privileged in any society, I wouldn’t have thought that would require explanation.

I'd still like a proper explanation... how are they more "privileged" than other citizens?

Landlords in the distant past (80-100 years ago) were more privileged. Don't see how they're more privileged now than the majority of Irish citizens. The only difference is that they (LL) were able to get a mortgage/buy a property. That's not privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd still like a proper explanation... how are they more "privileged" than other citizens?

Landlords in the distant past (80-100 years ago) were more privileged. Don't see how they're more privileged now than the majority of Irish citizens. The only difference is that they (LL) were able to get a mortgage/buy a property. That's not privilege.

Of course it's a privilege. It might be one that lots of people have but that doesn't make it not a privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

This is the beginning and the end of the conversation. Until a tenant can call up the PRTB or the commercial equivalent and get someone to come out to the property to deal with the dispute unfortunately landlords will continue to run roughshod over tenants rights. Has to be said most landlords are fine and play by the rules, but stricter enforcement (and that means not 6 months after the fact) is needed.

This works both ways. For a LL it can take years to disputes resolved with tenants, because tenants rights are stronger and enforced (if slow) where as LL rights are weaker and not enforced at all. The LL will eventually have to take a legal action themselves.

Why should landlords - the most privileged people in the country - not have to pay tax? We all pay income tax - why should someone who doesn't even have to work for it be exempt?

The state should build enough houses to kill the private rental sector off completely.

You don't have to rent a house of a private LL.

That you can't rent of the Govt is an issue between tenants and the Govt.

Nothing to the with LLs.

• Advertisement

Of course it's a privilege. It might be one that lots of people have but that doesn't make it not a privilege.

A privilege being a special right, or benefit/advantage, only available to a particular group of people?

The only thing preventing others from becoming a property owner is financing/money.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Another thread where the opener fails to mention rogue tenants, instead focusing on landlords. Pointless thread if there is no balance.

Actually Rodney it's more pointless if you fail to read it. Scroll up a bit and you'll see I had my own experience with terrible tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

A privilege being a special right, or benefit/advantage, only available to a particular group of people?

The only thing preventing others from becoming a property owner is financing/money.

Sounds like dole spongers are privileged so...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Why should landlords - the most privileged people in the country - not have to pay tax? We all pay income tax - why should someone who doesn't even have to work for it be exempt?

The state should build enough houses to kill the private rental sector off completely.

who then foots the bill for the 30% minimum state residential tenants who refuse to pay a red cent in rent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Landowners by nature are always the among the most privileged in any society, I wouldn’t have thought that would require explanation.

" privileged " is a deeply political term

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Sounds like dole spongers are privileged so...

That's pretty irrelevant to this discussion. There have been more than enough dole bashing threads, as it is.

But we haven't enough ill informed LL bashing threads....

beauf wrote: »
    But we haven't enough ill informed LL bashing threads....

Out of interest could you point out what part of my op was wrong?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Actually Rodney it's more pointless if you fail to read it. Scroll up a bit and you'll see I had my own experience with terrible tenants.

I read the opening post, not much balance there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Another thread for People Before Profit/Left Wing fantasists who can't understand why "someone else" can't pay for everything they want

I read the opening post, not much balance there.

Fair play Rodney. Ignore the rest of the thread so.

Out of interest could you point out what part of my op was wrong?

Pretty much all of it.

This old news not new.
    Its broken on both sides.
    There been constant legislation over decades added for tenants non for LLs.
    Landlords have no protection.
    We don't need more regulation we need prompt enforcement.
    There's so much regulation now its confusing.
    We've added more for Covid.

I could go on but whats the point, you did zero research, and made a sweeping generalization based on a tiny % of cases. Which of course leads others to respond in kind.

Fair play Rodney. Ignore the rest of the thread so.

The opening post sets the tone for the thread. You are clearly not looking for anything other than another pointless landlord bashing thread.

You take the most extreme example of a single rogue landlord owing tens of thousands as if it is the norm, when it is clearly not, but don’t let that stop the rant.

Pretty much all of it.

This old news not new.
    Its broken on both sides.
    There been constant legislation over decades added for tenants non for LLs.
    Landlords have no protection.
    We don't need more regulation we need prompt enforcement.
    There's so much regulation now its confusing.
    We've added more for Covid.

I could go on but whats the point, you did zero research, and made a sweeping generalization based on a tiny % of cases. Which of course leads others to respond in kind.

And in part you're unable to respond to any of the points made. You based your own opinion on one post which you completely misread.

You're also complaining about a failure to mention tenants despite the fact I mentioned the effects of bad tenants on a previous residence.

The opening post sets the tone for the thread. You are clearly not looking for anything other than another pointless landlord bashing thread.

You take the most extreme example of a single rogue landlord owing tens of thousands as if it is the norm, when it is clearly not, but don’t let that stop the rant.

That's what happens if you read one post Rodney.

• Advertisement

Just to say that I do indeed think that there should be regulation aimed at reducing both bad tenants and bad landlords. There's too many stories of each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

How is it a privilege? Someone working hard to be able to put themselves in a situation were they are indebted to a bank for 30 40 years is a privilege?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uptherebels

How is it a privilege? Someone working hard to be able to put themselves in a situation were they are indebted to a bank for 30 40 years is a privilege?

Id say it's more wanting to acquire a private asset but trying to get someone else to pay for it.

And in part you're unable to respond to any of the points made. You based your own opinion on one post which you completely misread.

You're also complaining about a failure to mention tenants despite the fact I mentioned the effects of bad tenants on a previous residence.

I if I didn't respond to "any" of your points what did you quote and what are you replying to??? :D

Where did I say there was failure to mention tenants?

I if I didn't respond to "any" of your points what did you quote and what are you replying to??? :D

Where did I say there was failure to mention tenants?

Some responses are more responsive than others b. Yours weren't responding to the facts presented but the feelings you got when you read them.

You're quite free to voice whatever opinion you have about tenants. Many others have while engaging in constructive dialogue.

Just to say that I do indeed think that there should be regulation aimed at reducing both bad tenants and bad landlords. There's too many stories of each.

There is regulation. You even quoted the cases. They couldn't bring a case unless there was regulation.

How can you read that article quote it, and come to the conclusion, there is no regulation????
    The Residential Tenancies Acts 2004 to 2019 deal with the regulation of the mainstream private rented housing sector and the approved housing body sector. The Residential Tenancies (Amendment) Act 2019 also brings student-specific accommodation under the remit of the RTB. This came into effect on 15 July 2019 and means that tenants in student-specific accommodation have most of the same rights as private tenants.

The Acts set out the rights and obligations of both landlords and tenants in these sectors
    The Residential Tenancies (Amendment) Act 2019 provides the RTB with additional powers to regulate the rental sector. The RTB has a new investigations and sanctions unit with the power to:

Investigate tenancy agreements with or without a formal complaint
    Caution or sanction landlords with a fine of up to €15,000 if they do not meet their obligations as a landlord
    The RTB will use these powers to monitor and enforce the legislation, particularly in relation to Rent Pressure Zones and termination of tenancy notices.

Some responses are more responsive than others b. Yours weren't responding to the facts presented but the feelings you got when you read them.

You're quite free to voice whatever opinion you have about tenants. Many others have while engaging in constructive dialogue.

What did I say that wasn't fact and was a "feeling" :D

There is regulation. You even quoted the cases. They couldn't bring a case unless there was regulation.

How can you read that article quote it, and come to the conclusion, there is no regulation????

You're confusing legislation with regulation. The legislation appears not to be enforced.

What did I say that wasn't fact and was a "feeling" :D

Probably something to do with all the smiley faces and question marks your tagging onto sentiments.

• Advertisement

You're confusing legislation with regulation. The legislation appears not to be enforced.
    regulation - a rule or directive made and maintained by an authority.

You're talking about enforcement.

It is enforced. Thats why there Just not timely.

You've quoted it being enforced, thats the case in the article.

Advertisement