Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Media IPv6 Query

• 18-05-2020 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey Folks,

I'm trying to find out some details of how IPv6 is implemented on my home broadband service. I've tried the webchat and a phone call to support but couldn't make any progress. If anyone has the following details, I would appreciate it:

1. What prefix length is allocated to a residential connection?
    2. What is the duration of the prefix lease?
    3. Is it possible to get a static IPv6 prefix for a residential service?

I've checked through all pages on the Smart Hub 3.0 but can only find the details of the IPv6 addresses allocated to it.

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

B0rder wrote: »
    Hey Folks,

I'm trying to find out some details of how IPv6 is implemented on my home broadband service. I've tried the webchat and a phone call to support but couldn't make any progress. If anyone has the following details, I would appreciate it:

1. What prefix length is allocated to a residential connection?
    2. What is the duration of the prefix lease?
    3. Is it possible to get a static IPv6 prefix for a residential service?

I've checked through all pages on the Smart Hub 3.0 but can only find the details of the IPv6 addresses allocated to it.

Many Thanks.

It's not true ipv6.
    Its DS lite.
    They have you and a group of others on the same ipv4 address further upstream I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lewis is correct. DSLite. Worst of both worlds.

Interestingly Ive seen new installs that didn't have DSLite applied by default which used to be universal. Getting it undone can be a headache as their CSRs have no idea what you mean. Best tweet them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 B0rder

Hey Folks,

So... This is what I can see so far:

The modem indeed reports that IPv6 DS-Lite is enabled.

When I connect a device to the modem, I am allocated an IPv6 address with a /64 prefix. When I browse the web, this is the address that shows up so it looks like IPv6 end-to-end and all is well.

When I connect Google Wi-Fi access point with IPv6 enabled to the modem, it gets an IPv6 address from that same /64. However, when I join the Google Wi-Fi wireless network, I am allocated an address from a different /64 (still a Virgin Media prefix though). Now when I browse the web, I come from this different address - again everything looks fine.

So it would appear that I am either allocated multiple /64 prefixes (unlikely) or I am allocated something larger like a /60 and the modem is allocating a /64 from that to my Google Wi-Fi using prefix delegation.

So... everything is working fine and I have no problems (not trying to allow inbound connections or anything) - I'm just curious how IPv6 is implemented.

Advertisement