Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rash from Garmin hrm chest strap

Options
  • 18-05-2020 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

hello,
    has anyone developed a rash from the contact points on their hrm strap? i have started suffering with it over the last few months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Do you clean it after it's used. Been using a wahoo one since christmas with no issues.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Might it be an allergy to your washing powder?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭furyen

i might try just washing the strap with no washing powder, thanks for the advice !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

furyen wrote: »
    hello,
    has anyone developed a rash from the contact points on their hrm strap? i have started suffering with it over the last few months.

If you changed detergent in the last few months then there's a good chance that that's the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

I got a weird rash on my fore head last year - took me a while to realise it was from the sweat band on the helmet. Since that I've been spraying the helmet, shoes and heart monitor strap with Dettol aerosol spray antiseptic. No repeats!

I only wash the strap every 10 uses or so and only in non-bio washing powder.

Haven't had a problem - hope it helps OP!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This thread suggests an allergy to latex: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1122107-allergy-heart-rate-monitor-strap.html

Out of curiosity, is it a rash or is it just chafing?
    If it could be chafing then have a look at this potential solution: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/how-to-fix-heart-rate-strap-chaffing.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I rarely clean them but have realised I can leave it on if i am descendng a long hill in Zwift and hoping in the shower. Cleans me, cleans the monitor, stil get my XP on the descent :pac: Life hacks as my son would say

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭furyen

no its not chafing, it flares up a few hrs after the cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

furyen wrote: »
    no its not chafing, it flares up a few hrs after the cycle

I got rash on head a few hours after cycling too. Since cleaning the band it hasn't reappeared so willing to say it's not allergic reaction (which I think would appear more quickly), I think it's much more likely it's a bacterial or fungal issue.

But, since you say your rash is on the contact points only, it indicates that either a slower allergic reaction OR possibly whatever bacteria / Fungus likes the metallic thread in the contact points (or do you have the plastic contacts?).

To be sure, perhaps wash the band carefully in non-bio washing powder and see if it appears. You may have to do some logical testing to narrow it down.

Good luck OP!

Advertisement