Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary layoff not given

• 18-05-2020 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all. I'd really appreciate your help please. I do seasonal work during the summer months and workers were recently put on temporary layoff. I wasn't laid off officially or given notice of this. After working the past few years at this job for seasonal work, I don't know how I could have been excluded. The company has given me nothing to allow me to claim social welfare. Any advice would be very much appreciated. I'm trying to get my head around the rights we have in this situation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Are you a student or what do you do the other 8/9 months of the year?

Have other seasonal workers been given work or a notice for social welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 csonb20

Hi. I'm a student during the rest of the year. It seems that most other workers were put on temporary lay off. This would be my fifth year at the job during the summer holidays. Thank you.
    Batgurl wrote: »
    Are you a student or what do you do the other 8/9 months of the year?

Have other seasonal workers been given work or a notice for social welfare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

csonb20 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm a student during the rest of the year. It seems that most other workers were put on temporary lay off. This would be my fifth year at the job during the summer holidays. Thank you.

Are the other temp staff also students?
    Had you actually started work this season, or did you just not get to start?
    As you probably know, generally students are not entitled to dole unless the are finished their course.

Thanks a million for this. The majority of the other seasonal workers aren't students. No start to the work this season unfortunately. I'm just finished college too so I'm currently at home unsure as to what to do/where I stand.
    johnb25 wrote: »
    Are the other temp staff also students?
    Had you actually started work this season, or did you just not get to start?
    As you probably know, generally students are not entitled to dole unless the are finished their course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You also must have been in employment before March 13 and been laid off as a result of Covid in order to be eligible for emergency unemployment payment.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/covid19_pandemic_unemployment_payment.html

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I was in college at this point, but thanks a million for informing me of this.
    Dav010 wrote: »
    You also must have been in employment before March 13 and been laid off as a result of Covid in order to be eligible for emergency unemployment payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

csonb20 wrote: »
    Thanks a million for this. The majority of the other seasonal workers aren't students. No start to the work this season unfortunately. I'm just finished college too so I'm currently at home unsure as to what to do/where I stand.

If you have just completed your final year of the course, you can apply for unemployment.
    "Third-level students cannot claim Jobseeker's Allowance or Benefit while they are studying full-time. This disqualification also applies to the summer holiday periods between academic years (unless you are a mature student). However, once you have finished college permanently you can claim a jobseeker's payment if you cannot find work. This is also the case if you leave college without finishing your course."
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

Much appreciated that you took the time to link this out for me. Thanks very much.
    johnb25 wrote: »
    If you have just completed your final year of the course, you can apply for unemployment.
    "Third-level students cannot claim Jobseeker's Allowance or Benefit while they are studying full-time. This disqualification also applies to the summer holiday periods between academic years (unless you are a mature student). However, once you have finished college permanently you can claim a jobseeker's payment if you cannot find work. This is also the case if you leave college without finishing your course."

Advertisement