Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords still closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

_Brian wrote: »
    Chill.
    It’s a shop.

Just ship elsewhere or wait.

The happen to have €1000 belonging to me, the least I'd expect is some tiny clue as to what's happening it.

silver2020 wrote: »
    What do you mean by that - or are you yet another venter that has lockdown fatigue and want to whine about anything and everything?

Wages make up about 6%-8% of a retail company's cost. Gov will not be paying rent for them or any other costs associated with retail.

But as is usual in border areas the stupid and archaic nationalistic sh1te raises its ugly head whenever some non Republic of Ireland business does not conform to what the local snowflakes want

What's their excuse for not at least updating their plans for reopening and letting customers know them?

fat bloke wrote: »
    It's a pity you didn't ask on here before buying, there aren't many recommendations on here for Halfords as a bike-shop generally speaking. Fine for walk-in pick up something basic in-stock sort of thing but for an 1000 euro spend I'd be looking at a proper local bike shop.
    Then again, I don't know how well Cavan is served in the LBS department.

They were a last resort. I tried the local stores first, they hadn't the bike I wanted nor could they order it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

So the real issue is you've paid them a grand for a bike, and haven't been able to collect it

cletus wrote: »
    So the real issue is you've paid them a grand for a bike, and haven't been able to collect it

Yes of course that's the real issue. Would you not consider that a valid reason as to why I'm less than happy with them.

• Advertisement

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Unbelievably the Cavan store is still not open. Tells you all you need to know about these shower. Let paddy pay our employees wages for another month or two. Terrible customer service. Zero update on website, No information on shop Window and phone rings for ever without even a recorded message. :mad:

Oh, I thought the main thrust of your argument was that a British store was deliberately abusing the emergency payment system our government had put in place in order to alleviate the effects of a near total lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Is the payment specific to your local store I wonder? Or is it a general Halfords payment. Like could you get a bike from one of the Dublin establishments.

cletus wrote: »
    Oh, I thought the main thrust of your argument was that a British store was deliberately abusing the emergency payment system our government had put in place in order to alleviate the effects of a near total lockdown

They didn't have to shut to begin with. I can see in through the glass, there has been no attempt to renovate their store to suit the new regulations so yes they have taken advantage of the pandemic payment.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Is the payment specific to your local store I wonder? Or is it a general Halfords payment. Like could you get a bike from one of the Dublin establishments.

Someone from admin must be collecting mail because the cheque has been lodged 6 weeks or so back. No correspondence at all from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bronkobilly

no bike at all in halfords no stock and only taking credit cards no cash

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

no bike at all in halfords no stock and only taking credit cards no cash

That is not unique to Halfords.

I'm surprised they have no stock at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Any sign of Cavan Halfords opening up at all? I checked their site and shows closed.

Any sign of Cavan Halfords opening up at all? I checked their site and shows closed.

I'm afraid not. Absolute shocking service from them. When they do open they can shove their bike where the sun don't shine. Once I have my money returned I will never darken their doors again . Can't even put a voice message on their phone to let customers know what the hell is happening. ####s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

UrbanFret wrote: »
    I'm afraid not. Absolute shocking service from them. When they do open they can shove their bike where the sun don't shine. Once I have my money returned I will never darken their doors again . Can't even put a voice message on their phone to let customers know what the hell is happening. ####s

I spoke on the phone to Clarkes of Cavan and the guy in bike sales were very sound and helpful, so i may get my next bike with them.

The one in Blanch is still order and collect at the counter.

Why they are so slow to reopen in Ireland is baffling. They are open in the UK from what I hear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

beauf wrote: »
    The one in Blanch is still order and collect at the counter.

Why they are so slow to reopen in Ireland is baffling. They are open in the UK from what I hear.

Perhaps Because safety of their staff is more important to the convenience of consumers.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Perhaps Because safety of their staff is more important to the convenience of consumers.

What is the risk assessment?

How is it different between UK and Ireland. You'd think it would be less risky in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The UK is not a beacon of hope to be held up on Covid-19 procedures and management. We're our own country.

Kinda missing the point here. Halfords are unusual compared to other retailers in Ireland. They aren't even consistent with themselves in other countries.

If the argument is Halfords Ireland are being hyper careful and they are entitled to do that it's a local management decision. Fine.

But it is a bit puzzling.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Don't cod yourself. Whatever the reason is, that's not it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

It’s probably a stock issue. Prioritising UK market wouldn’t be a surprise

wally79 wrote: »
    It’s probably a stock issue. Prioritising UK market wouldn’t be a surprise
    What's really annoying me is why they cant leave a message on their phone or an update on their website. It's really poor.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 stones81

The one in naas says click and collect on the site when go to order

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

beauf wrote: »
    What is the risk assessment?

How is it different between UK and Ireland. You'd think it would be less risky in Ireland.

You'll have to ask them. It could be down to individual managers choices.

It could be that staff have objected or raised concerns and they have listened. Staff could be relying on public transport and that's limited

They might have failed inspections, which are ongoing

I'm personally trying to open somewhere for public to use, it's not that straightforward in organisation, as some places are just better positioned staff wise, equipment wise etc.

I don't think it's fair to give out about a company not opening because of personal inconvenience given the current situation.

Now, if theyre just not doing assessments or just staying closed til Covid payments end, then complain away

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frankie19

Husband was talking to a rep for one of the Irish bike distis. Halfords have no stock and can't get any as its all their own brands and production was badly affected by lockdown.

Still makes no sense to me as they could open for parts and services along with their motor section.

To be honest if Bianchi who are based in the lombardy region of Italy were able to keep production ticking over i dont know how Halfords cant...unless uk stores are being prioritised for stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

They had quite a few profit warnings last year. They could be deciding if it is profitable enough to reopen in Ireland. They were classed as essential business in UK and were never closed. A lot of UK retailers are going under atm.

stones81 wrote: »
    The one in naas says click and collect on the site when go to order

The click and collect button is there, but you can't actually click on it.

It then recommends Halfords Tallaght instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Halfords get their bikes from China or Taiwan, their supply line had their new year (a traditional slow demand in Europe after Xmas) which is a shut down for two weeks then covid hit before it rambled up again.

One of the biggest shops in the UK sold 14k bikes in a week.

Ireland's shutdown kicked in earlier than the UK and is continuing longer than the UK's.

All understandable reasons for having no bikes available in Ireland as they pick to supply the bigger market (Evans are in bother and Halfords should be looking for an increased market share in the UK).

It is more than mildly irking that the information on websites etc has not been updated but I bet a big chunk of that staff is furloughed and it's just being ignored.

Halfords is a car parts store that does bikes* and some outdoor stuff as a sideline.

* - since the new parent company closed the bikehut dedicated stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Was at the Carrickmines branch on Monday and they said they are opening up Friday (tomorrow).

Advertisement