Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords still closed

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Weepsie wrote: »
    You'll have to ask them. It could be down to individual managers choices.

It could be that staff have objected or raised concerns and they have listened. Staff could be relying on public transport and that's limited

They might have failed inspections, which are ongoing

I'm personally trying to open somewhere for public to use, it's not that straightforward in organisation, as some places are just better positioned staff wise, equipment wise etc.

I don't think it's fair to give out about a company not opening because of personal inconvenience given the current situation.

Now, if theyre just not doing assessments or just staying closed til Covid payments end, then complain away

I'm not complaining. That's just arguing against a point im not making. I'm just saying it's odd and inconsistent with the rest of the company and the country.

I'm not sure how you explain the actions of a multinational as personal decisions. There's obviously some coordinated plan in action. I think as someone else said they've decided to prioritize the UK as the volumes in Ireland aren't a priority. They are open in a limited fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bronkobilly

saccades wrote: »
    Halfords get their bikes from China or Taiwan, their supply line had their new year (a traditional slow demand in Europe after Xmas) which is a shut down for two weeks then covid hit before it rambled up again.

One of the biggest shops in the UK sold 14k bikes in a week.

Ireland's shutdown kicked in earlier than the UK and is continuing longer than the UK's.

All understandable reasons for having no bikes available in Ireland as they pick to supply the bigger market (Evans are in bother and Halfords should be looking for an increased market share in the UK).

It is more than mildly irking that the information on websites etc has not been updated but I bet a big chunk of that staff is furloughed and it's just being ignored.

Halfords is a car parts store that does bikes* and some outdoor stuff as a sideline.

* - since the new parent company closed the bikehut dedicated stores.

vietnam & cambodia make the bikes for them not taiwan or china

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

vietnam & cambodia make the bikes for them not taiwan or china

Depends on the bike. The VooDoo range are made in Taiwan, but having said that, Halfords are a middle man for that brand

cletus wrote: »
    Depends on the bike. The VooDoo range are made in Taiwan, but having said that, Halfords are a middle man for that brand

i still have the box off my voodoo bike and it states vietnam on it?

Apologies, just had a look, and you're right. From what I know, it used to be Taiwan

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    Apologies, just had a look, and you're right. From what I know, it used to be Taiwan

it like all the bike sold in argos are all made in bangladesh third word countries are making most of the bicycles and cheaper to produce

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

judging by the weight of the BMX my sister bought for her son in argos, i would have expected the cheaper production cost would have been offset by the extra shipping cost. the *weight* of the thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't think it matters where they are made anymore once they are made to spec and the QC is decent.

I wonder where it will move to next.

They are reopening more of their stores on Friday I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Would that not just be the frame or where the bike is assembled? I imagine a good chunk of components still come out of China though?

• Advertisement

Halfords Naas opening on Friday

Advertisement