Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube censorship time to allow embedded videos from other sites?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why should he get banned if he hasn't broken any laws?

People get banned from here without breaking any laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

People get banned from here without breaking any laws.

People get banned in here for saying "boo"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

People get banned in here for saying "boo"

EHhm, boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Why should he get banned if he hasn't broken any laws?

It's a company. They can do what they want within the bounds of the law.

EHhm, boo.

Hilarious, anything of substance to the debate at hand to say?

• Advertisement

Hilarious, anything of substance to the debate at hand to say?

Yes. It was in the post you quoted earlier.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    It's a company. They can do what they want within the bounds of the law.

That old chestnut. Its been addressed in the thread already. Have a read back.

Look what is happening in China with the social credit system. That is what you get when one ideology is allowed run rampant. That is the road we are headed down if we allow the likes of YouTube to control the public discourse. And private company or not, they do have much control of public discourse. They are so big that they have become the "public squares" of the modern, digital age. I am not suggesting they should be stopped by regulations etc. as you said, they can do what they want. But people need to be aware of the slippery slope that I refereed to earlier. The likes of BitChute, that allows free speech from all angles should be supported no matter what side of the political spectrum you are on.

Yes. It was in the post you quoted earlier.

EHhm, boo.

Great contribution, I'll take it into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Did not know Boards will not allow BitChute to be embedded. That's pretty pathetic. Once one is not inciting violence they should be free to say whatever they want. To ban people exercising free speech is a very very slippery slope.

When did YouTube or boards become the State authorities ? Freedom of speech has absolutely no bearing on private owned companies . They like all non state media outlets can publish or allow to be publish what they like, subject to the relevant jurisdiction on defamation laws and similar provisions

Great contribution, I'll take it into consideration.

If you've got too short a memory you can scroll back a bit more and see "people get banned from here without breaking any laws."

• Advertisement

If you've got too short a memory you can scroll back a bit more and see "people get banned from here without breaking any laws."

OK, well, could you elaborate on that? Whats your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

That the threshold for being banned from a website is much lower than the law.

When did YouTube or boards become the State authorities ?

As far as I am aware, nobody said they had?

Freedom of speech has absolutely no bearing on private owned companies . They like all non state media outlets can publish or allow to be publish what they like, subject to the relevant jurisdiction on defamation laws and similar provisions

I'll give a more extreme possible scenario... Lets say for example, Whatsapp did not allow Americans to send pro Trump messages in the run up to the election, would you feel OK with that? Again, I am not saying they should not be allowed to do whatever they want with their platforms, I am saying platforms that allow free speech should be supported better by users like yourself and myself, as per the thread topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Youtube is nothing of the kind anymore forget the YOU big media platforms have been given unfair advantage on Youtube.

Is it time video sharing sites like BitChute which works under peer to peer sharing was allowed to be embedded here?

We discuss current affairs here and Youtube is no longer fit for purpose in my opinion.

This video is banned on Youtube for example if you disagree with something post you counter argument censorship belongs in North Korea and China not Europe.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/H4W7FwBy0Ukh/

Could have saved a whole lot of waffle in this thread if someone had initially just pointed out that if it's P2P that is likely to not work as desired, from a purely technical perspective.

You want to use a service, you do so in agreement with terms and conditions. Breach them and you'll be removed from the service.

That old chestnut. Its been addressed in the thread already. Have a read back.

Look what is happening in China with the social credit system. That is what you get when one ideology is allowed run rampant. That is the road we are headed down if we allow the likes of YouTube to control the public discourse. And private company or not, they do have much control of public discourse. They are so big that they have become the "public squares" of the modern, digital age. I am not suggesting they should be stopped by regulations etc. as you said, they can do what they want. But people need to be aware of the slippery slope that I refereed to earlier. The likes of BitChute, that allows free speech from all angles should be supported no matter what side of the political spectrum you are on.

Yeah I saw. Ah the ol' Prager U argument thrown in with the slippery slope fallacy. Was surprised it took this long to turn up tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

When did YouTube or boards become the State authorities ? Freedom of speech has absolutely no bearing on private owned companies . They like all non state media outlets can publish or allow to be publish what they like, subject to the relevant jurisdiction on defamation laws and similar provisions
    No one is saying that Youtube breaks US law. The point is they get to curate their media while they remain liability free. Youtube is basically acting like an enormous TV channel that has an unfair advantage of traditional media that they can never be sued for defamation. The playing field should be level.

dan1895 wrote: »
    That the threshold for being banned from a website is much lower than the law.

In the US there is no level playing field between web giants like Youtube and the the traditional media. That is unfair. In Ireland the law is not so dissimilar.

Yeah I saw. Ah the ol' Prager U argument thrown in with the slippery slope fallacy. Was surprised it took this long to turn up tbh.

It would behove you to explain why it is a fallacy.

It's freedom of speech so I demand my voice be on their platform. *Shakes pitchfork*

As far as I am aware, nobody said they had?

I'll give a more extreme possible scenario... Lets say for example, Whatsapp did not allow Americans to send pro Trump messages in the run up to the election, would you feel OK with that? Again, I am not saying they should not be allowed to do whatever they want with their platforms, I am saying platforms that allow free speech should be supported better by users like yourself and myself, as per the thread topic.

It was rhetorical , correct, no one suggested that YouTube and co are state authorities, however they do cite freedom of speech, completely informing or being ignorant as to when those human rights provisions actually become relevant - hence to rhetorical question on State authorities . Freedom of speech has zero relevancy with regard to the actions of YouTube and co

Nah, let’s just stick to facts and what the free speech provisions actually do and when it applies. There’s a clear misunderstanding from people as to when it’s relevant

Waffling on about Trump , the US President ,And his supporters has zero relevancy to what is published or not published on you tube and co . You clearly also aren’t sure as to what free speech provisions are and to whom and when they apply

WhatsApp ,YouTube and co are free to allow or deny access to its users ,be they private or public members . Freedom of speech has no relevancy

Am I okay with that ? It’s their choice (whats app) . Users can freely find another platform to send their message . People themselves will decide what platform they want to use, saying what people “should“ be supporting is rather dictatorial

Overheal wrote: »
    Could have saved a whole lot of waffle in this thread if someone had initially just pointed out that if it's P2P that is likely to not work as desired, from a purely technical perspective.

Regardless, some peoples views are being shoved aside in a modern day book burning. Thats not good. And why let a technicality get in the way? Make it work I say. BitChute videos can be embedded (https://support.bitchute.com/content/how-to-embed-a-video-on-your-site) but I also get there are other issues to overcome

• Advertisement

It's freedom of speech so I demand my voice be on their platform. *Shakes pitchfork*

Wow the censorship brigade are not very friendly.

It was rhetorical , correct, no one suggested that YouTube and co are state authorities, however they do cite freedom of speech, completely informing or being ignorant as to when those human rights provisions actually become relevant - hence to rhetorical question on State authorities . Freedom of speech has zero relevancy with regard to the actions of YouTube and co

Nah, let’s just stick to facts and what the free speech provisions actually do and when it applies. There’s a clear misunderstanding from people as to when it’s relevant

Waffling on about Trump , the US President ,And his supporters has zero relevancy to what is published or not published on you tube and co . You clearly also aren’t sure as to what free speech provisions are and to whom and when they apply

WhatsApp ,YouTube and co are free to allow or deny access to its users ,be they private or public members . Freedom of speech has no relevancy

Am I okay with that ? It’s their choice (whats app) . Users can freely find another platform to send their message . People themselves will decide what platform they want to use, saying what people “should“ be supporting is rather dictatorial

In US law, they aren't, because they are claiming to be a utility company which would them more neutral. I dont think you understand the argument.

No one is saying that Youtube breaks US law. The point is they get to curate their media while they remain liability free. Youtube is basically acting like an enormous TV channel that has an unfair advantage of traditional media that they can never be sued for defamation. The playing field should be level.

In the US there is no level playing field between web giants like Youtube and the the traditional media. That is unfair. In Ireland the law is not so dissimilar.

It would behove you to explain why it is a fallacy.

Completely agree with you on social media and YouTube’s ability to get away Scott free from liability for defamation . It’s a massive issue for me with regard to the defamation laws in many common law justifications . The current laws are only fit for the traditional tv and print and radio . Reform is needed and there’s only so much the courts can do without legislation

As for liability on YouTube parts, the laws encourage them not to act like moderators and just ignore everything till someone complains .

However, it must be very hard, (not necessarily impossible for them) to police all what goes up on their site, be it videos or idiots making comments in the comment box , they have little control .

In US law, they aren't, because they are claiming to be a utility company which would them more neutral. I dont think you understand the argument.

When you understand when ,where and to whom the freedom of speech provisions in Constitutions and UN /Eu human rights conventions apply ,come back to me

Your claim about not understanding what was said , has no foundation

Moreover, neutrality most certainly does not mean it’s a case of no holds bar say and publish what you want

Am I okay with that ? It’s their choice (whats app) . Users can freely find another platform to send their message .

And here comes the slippery slope... Very quickly there could be no platform for a person to use. This kind of crap is happening in China right now...

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/china-social-credit-system-explained

"Liu Hu is a journalist in China, writing about censorship and government corruption. Because of his work, Liu has been arrested and fined — and blacklisted. Liu found he was named on a List of Dishonest Persons Subject to Enforcement by the Supreme People's Court as "not qualified" to buy a plane ticket, and banned from travelling some train lines, buying property, or taking out a loan.

"There was no file, no police warrant, no official advance notification. They just cut me off from the things I was once entitled to," he told The Globe and Mail. "What's really scary is there's nothing you can do about it. You can report to no one. You are stuck in the middle of nowhere."

Again, I say, let them do what they want, I understand they are a private company. I just think people should be aware of what might be down the road.

People themselves will decide what platform they want to use, saying what people “should“ be supporting is rather dictatorial

"Should" does not have the same meaning as "must".

And here comes the slippery slope... Very quickly there could be no platform for a person to use. This kind of crap is happening in China right now...

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/china-social-credit-system-explained

"Liu Hu is a journalist in China, writing about censorship and government corruption. Because of his work, Liu has been arrested and fined — and blacklisted. Liu found he was named on a List of Dishonest Persons Subject to Enforcement by the Supreme People's Court as "not qualified" to buy a plane ticket, and banned from travelling some train lines, buying property, or taking out a loan.

"There was no file, no police warrant, no official advance notification. They just cut me off from the things I was once entitled to," he told The Globe and Mail. "What's really scary is there's nothing you can do about it. You can report to no one. You are stuck in the middle of nowhere."

Again, I say, let them do what they want, I understand they are a private company. I just think people should be aware of what might be down the road.

"Should" does not have the same meaning as "must".

Bull****. When ever and where ever there’s a market for something , someone in that group for said “person” will come out and create one . Just like tv stations, there will be platforms and websites created to suit the needs of people based on their politics etc

China was hardly ever a bastion of even the most basic of freedoms , nonsense comparison to the Western World

Why should any private company let people do what they want ? Their house, their rules ! Don’t like it, go find a company what will cater for you and there’s is always going to be a someone on the market who will

Bull****.

No need for that. I am being respectful, please show me the same courtesy.

Anyway... I mostly agree with you, read back over my posts. I am advocating people being informed about what is going on and the possible consequences of same, not forcing private companies to do anything they don't want to.

No need for that. I am being respectful, please show me the same courtesy.

Anyway... I mostly agree with you, read back over my posts. I am advocating people being informed about what is going on and the possible consequences of same, not forcing private companies to do anything they don't want to.

Respect must be earned . You were talking nonsense

Respect must be earned . You were talking nonsense

Talking nonsense how? We agree for the most part?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

https://youtu.be/2B8ycnc8PMA

Every answer you need for those who don't get it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement