Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerator advice

Options
  • 18-05-2020 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

Anyone have opinions on the best core aerator to use on a garden approx 250sqm.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Ah lads & lassies, surely someone has something for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Did similar size recently.
    Hired a hollow tine petrol aerator from my local hire place.
    €60 for the day.

I'd suggest similar to you.

Thanks AW - that's both you and Dragula now telling me to go for the machine!

Did it take long with the machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

It's basically like pushing a lawnmower around, so however long it would take you to do that. Coupld of hours should see you well done.
    I'd recommend going over it twice, or maybe three times, depending on the speed you went around i.e lower speed = more holes. You'll be able to judge it when you have it on site and see how it performs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Looking to do the same but hesitant to spend €60 for 30 sq m. Anyone had success with a garden fork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

TheChizler wrote: »
    Looking to do the same but hesitant to spend €60 for 30 sq m. Anyone had success with a garden fork?

Fork it or get the shoe spikes

Thanks all for the input, reached out to my local hire place and they advised the aerator would be too wide for my house.

No side entrance, average width doors (72cm or so). Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Naos wrote: »
    Thanks all for the input, reached out to my local hire place and they advised the aerator would be too wide for my house.

No side entrance, average width doors (72cm or so). Damn.

Shudda thoughta that before you bought the place ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,588 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I bought show spikes the last time they were in Lidl.

Gives the legs a damn good workout!

Too early to tell if they are any good.

exaisle wrote: »
    exaisle wrote: »

I know... what an idiot! I'll have to sell up :D

I'll drop down to the place when things open up, surely I can do a Ross & pivot it in the door...
    NIMAN wrote: »
    I bought show spikes the last time they were in Lidl.

Gives the legs a damn good workout!

Too early to tell if they are any good.

Thanks - only thing is I've heard the spikes compress the ground, so potentially do more bad than good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,588 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Naos wrote: »
    I know... what an idiot! I'll have to sell up :D

I'll drop down to the place when things open up, surely I can do a Ross & pivot it in the door...

Thanks - only thing is I've heard the spikes compress the ground, so potentially do more bad than good?

Ok?

But they definitely leave your lawn covered in holes, so surely they are doing what they are meant to?

Advertisement