Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AF-S lens for Nikon D5100

Options
  • 18-05-2020 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Clueless person here!
    I have been looking to buy a lens for my wife's Nikon D5100 something up to 300mm or 400mm zoom.

From the bit of reading I've done and seeing Nikon interoperability page I need an AF-S lens rather than an AF-P lens to work with the camera model.

However I do not see any thing available like that in the consumer price bracket.
    There are some AF-S 70-300m lens listed as "renewed" on Amazon - I assume that means refurbished.

Also not seeing anything that matches this listed on local shops websites.

So some questions:
    • Am I correct in assuming that AF-P lens like this or this will not work with D5100?
    • Is AF-S now obsolete - am I wasting my time trying to find something new - do I need to focus on used/refurb?
    • Is there something I can find in Sigma or Tamron range
    • looking for something 100-300mm in €500 range or at a stretch 200-400mm a little more

Any help/advise appreciated.

Advertisement